A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,628
Currently Running With Scissors:
119 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cotton Jersey Sheet Into Top  (Read 1632 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 27, 2018 06:54:01 AM »

So, a while back I found some twin-sized 100% cotton jersey sheets at my local thrift store, new in package. They were $4, which is actually more than I usually spend on clothes when thrifting (I'm a sale master), but the pattern was a very pretty sort of cottage chic floral print in nice colors, both sheets added up to a nice bit of fabric, and I can always use extra pillowcases, so it was worth it. (I later learned they are from Wayfair.)

I have also never worked with jersey (or really any knit, so far as sewing is concerned) and I am making a little suite of T-shirts and leggings for my grand-niece out of a custom fabric pattern I designed on Spoonflower. That isn't inexpensive, and I don't have a serger, so I really wanted to get some experience working with knits to avoid ruffled seams and such.

Then this happened:

I totally winged the pattern (get it? winged... because it's a batwing...  ... ) and I probably did everything in the wrong order, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. The only thing I really needed a measurement for was, since I wanted something long that would sort of bunch up at the waist, the bottom is measured around my upper hips with some negative ease, and then just some generous waist length. I don't have anything fancy like a tailor's curve or anything, so the shape of the sleeve is the curve of a 6qt oval crock pot lid, and the length of the sleeves was determined by how much fabric I had. (One twin fitted sheet with the elastic and corners removed, folded in half, and then however wide I could make the pieces out of what was left, basically.) I managed to avoid any real puckering, and the fabric pattern works great for the style of shirt. The neckline isn't perfect; were I to do it over (which I still could, I suppose) I would make the neck a little wider, and I'd make the actual piece of neckline fabric shorter than I did, so it laid a little flatter, but for my first try at most of the things here, I think it looks great. Fits great, too, and now my sister wants me to make her one. Since I happen to have the flat sheet, yet, that's entirely possible. Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018 07:49:20 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes I post at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin! Actually, really, find me almost everywhere as Lothruin!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018 07:20:36 AM »

It looks wonderful and just my style. I am a "wing it" *snort* Cheesy kind of gal with pattern drafting too and would find it so helpful if you showed the shirt laying flat. I can figure it out from there I'm sure. I do have a couple of like garments to copy from too, they have wider necklines which are quite flattering.

One tip regarding the neckline, and this goes for using the same fabric or a strip of ribbing: Make the strip slightly shorter than the neckline length, pin it evenly and carefully ease the pieces together. You may have to pull the neckline slightly but it's best to compress it to match up with the strip instead if you can. You will of course need to use either woolly thread in the bobbin or a stitch that can accommodate a bit of stretch to keep your sewing from snapping when pulled over the head etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018 07:23:33 AM »

I don't know if you remember, but we did a "clothing made from sheets challenge" way back when!  I find cotton jersey sheets are fairly inexpensive at Ollie's and such places and it is so much fabric! ( maybe too much! ha ha)

I love your pattern and it looks terrific!  I love also how you solved several issues and learned as you went to apply to future projects!  Your sister is going to get a better version of this lovely top!

Yes, CLM...with knits, the neckline can get stretched out if the binding/facing is not made a bit shorter and stretched to fit...great tip!

Don't you love that loth did the negative ease in the hip area to bunch up the bottom?  It is very flattering and would hide my dessert loving tummy! ha

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018 07:26:50 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018 07:58:26 AM »

@craftylittlemonkey

Cheesy I actually traced the pattern last night (I really should have made the pattern as I went... Hindsight... ) and added seam allowances and everything so I can recreate it. I didn't make pieces for the waistband, arm or neck bindings, but the measurements are still rattling around in my head somewhere. Cheesy  I should write them down before I forget them. lol

I actually did make the neckband smaller than the measured opening for the neck, and it lays MOSTLY flat, but I think I just didn't get it QUITE small enough. I used the You-Tube-Tutorial recommended 85%, but... well. I might have mis-measured the neckline somewhat, and the fabric is quite stretchy, and the neckline only particularly rounded in a couple of places, so I think I just didn't quite hit the nail on the head with my estimates.

I will try to get a pick of the shirt inside out laying flat later tonight.

Always, I totally remember that challenge, and I think I still have a vintage Alf sheet floating around in my craft storage somewhere that I meant to make into a dress, inspired by that challenge. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin! Actually, really, find me almost everywhere as Lothruin!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018 08:07:37 AM »

I made a dress, but I have gotten too round to wear it anymore...Grin...I used some to make boot holders...and I still have the top sheet...maybe I should give away the top sheet to someone who would use it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018 11:11:48 AM »

Your shirt is adorable! It doesn't look like you winged it. I love the print and the style.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018 02:53:20 PM »

Wow! Great top with a great story!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 39
aristhekat
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018 06:59:12 PM »

what a great and versatile top! it is lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018 08:13:19 PM »

Thanks everyone! I finished it last night and wore it today and got lots of complements! I'm in love. It's so comfy!

As requested, here is the picture of it laid flat:

Sorry, the whole thing doesn't fit on my tabletop, but you get a sense of the basic shape. I made my waist deliberately long, as I said above. It could be as much as 6 inches shorter and still sit below my waist. But as Always said, the length does hide many faults. Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018 08:16:18 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018 05:13:54 AM »

Fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018 06:04:06 AM »

Thanks for posting that picture, loth!  It makes a lot more sense now...and yes, love the top so much...in many ways!  I think both CLM and I have decided to do some more clothing projects for ourselves...this really is motivating me to do so!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018 11:11:12 AM »

You know, in the history of my sewing, knitting, and crochet, I've never actually made myself something. Well, I suppose a few very simple costume pieces many moons ago, and I've STARTED a lot of things for myself, but this is the first thing I've ever made myself for just wearing. I have a couple of other things that I've made and wear, but I actually made them for other people, and in both cases, the recipients passed away and the items were returned to me, and those were both knitted items, not sewn. I should really make myself more stuff, too! I have a lot of thrifted re-make projects that I've never started, and I have a 1950s dress pattern in my size that I happen to have some linen for. It's just a matter of DOING it.

Of course, I really should finish my kid's faerie costume for faire, first...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SonjaBoo

Release the Craftin'!

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018 06:39:22 AM »

That shirt is beautiful! I absolutely love the pattern -- I'd totally buy that top in a store if I saw it available. (Or the sheets -- ha!)

Seriously though, impressive sewing skills! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018 09:38:35 AM »

Thanks! That's high praise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Doily Display
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...