A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 314,196
Currently Running With Scissors:
128 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Needle Minders using Singleton buttons  (Read 987 times)
Tags for this thread: needle_minder , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 24, 2018 11:29:42 AM »

I have been seeing a lot of different needle minders and thought they were a wonderful idea to keep my needle handy when I am doing cross stitch or embroidery...but, like most Craftsters, I never got around to making myself any...well, this year, I have committed to making something for me every month!  I also committed to making all of those things I pinned that would be useful to me...microwave bowl holders, cord holders, ear bud holders, etc, etc.

So, with that in mind, when I saw a needle minder made by craftylittlemonkey that kept the two magnets together, I knew that this was the style for me!

I love making Singleton buttons (...google this...they are fun to make as well...) so I made a pair for each needle minder, glued in the magnets (be very careful that you do not flip the magnets so that they repel each other!! Remember your science...two positives or two negatives will repel!), slipped in a ribbon, sewed felt to the backs, and DONE!

For being a small project, they sure messed up my crafting room:  had to dig out ribbon, thread, fabrics, magnets, felt, glue...oh well, they were worth it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018 12:14:58 PM »

I did look up Singleton buttons and they are awesome! Like Dorset buttons, I even have some of those pinned.
I'd never heard of a needle minder until someone here mentioned it, I think it was kittykill. It was a real duh moment, like of course! Every stitcher needs those, how did I live without them?

I will have to make some like yours, I have some of those rings and LOTS of fabric, ha. Hey TheMistressT, this would be a great addition to your scrap pin board, lol.

Look at this adorable snail! Maybe a bit too dense for a magnet to work well but so tempting anyhow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
We're pranking mom for her 70th, haha. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018 12:19:18 PM »

Those are so great! I love the ribbon attachment. I collect needleminders. Seriously, they are the best thing in the entire world. I don't know how I lived without them for so many years.

The ones you made are so bright and cheerful, just like you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018 12:23:03 PM »

They turned out great!  I also googled Singleton buttons and might need to add them to my list as well.  Like I need more things!  Grin  Love the fabric choices!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018 12:39:24 PM »

It would be so great to do a swap. Singleton, Dorset, other hand made, hand covered buttons. Clay, wood, etc etc. I love the simple easy swaps the best, 2 or so hours to craft and just a couple bucks to send. Maybe I will post and see if there is interest. They could be turned into fridge magnets, pins, jewelry, or used as actual buttons, ha ha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We're pranking mom for her 70th, haha. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018 12:51:05 PM »

Thanks, everyone...I picked the connected type because I know myself...I would just lose the backs...with a ribbon hoop, I can even hang them up near my work area...I do love the tiny felt ones ...maybe the felt inchies would work...it just can't be too thick!

BTW, CLM...the magnets I used were from you...I have not seen the small round ones that are so powerful!  A dab of E6000 held them down...

The first time I ever made Singleton buttons was for kittykill for a mod swap!  I made them into actual buttons to be attached to whatever...they are useful for so many things and help to preserve a fabric memory...lol...we keep finding tiny things to make that will not be helpful in our stash busting, yet so much fun and joy in making...oh well!

I plan on knitting a few sweaters that would look nice with custom buttons...I also saw a cool project using them all in a row on a tote bag...oh the ideas...wish I had a lot more time! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018 12:58:30 PM »

These are super cute! Annnnnd practical.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 43
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018 01:01:17 PM »

Your ideas are all so great! Some of the Dorset buttons have beading and are really complex. I saw one with an embedded penny, sort of like a very intricate shisha mirror.
I can see how this would have destroyed your craft room, just imagining all the stashes I'd have to riffle to find all those supplies, oh my. I am tempted but AFTER my clean up this weekend.
Oh, those magnets. They are powerful little buggers. I kept the square version, they are very handy for making even heavy or thick things stick. Gotta watch them around your electronics though, YIKES! Don't put that travel project into a purse next to your phone Tongue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018 01:45:03 PM »

lol you sent me round and square ones...the bottom one is using the squares and they are much stronger...I will probably save it for using with my heavier threads and yarns to hold a larger needle...yes, they are practical...

and speaking of practical....I am finally using a post of TheMistressT to make pattern weights...this weekend is all about practical small projects I have been meaning to do forever...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018 05:51:28 PM »

and speaking of practical....I am finally using a post of TheMistressT to make pattern weights...this weekend is all about practical small projects I have been meaning to do forever...

Awwww, yey! From WAY back when? I can't wait to see yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 43
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Earthbox
July 11, 2018 Featured Projects
Cats of Summer

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...