A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 314,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
135 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nuthatches - finally a little something for myself...  (Read 1586 times)
Tags for this thread: bird , blackwork , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 22, 2018 12:26:00 PM »

I had been putting off making something for myself for awhile.  I wanted to make a few pieces for our bedroom.  We have a long empty wall on one side and I have been wanting to add some bird art to it for awhile.  Jim's mother picked up a framed loon piece for us for Christmas, and that gave me impetus to start.  I also love nuthatches and stitched this up last week.

The birds are stitched with black floss on white cotton, with some colour added with water colour pencils afterwards, then mounted on wood.

Eventually, I hope to add some more to this one - chickadees, loons, woodpeckers, etc.  Hopefully to fill that wall.

More on my blog if anyone is interested... also if you go back a few posts, you can see a couple progress posts
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018 09:54:10 AM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018 05:38:41 PM »

This is stunning work, Onyxnox. Just beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018 06:24:03 PM »

Thank you - I really like how it turned out, especially with the small stitches on the tree and the back of the bird. I like that thread-sketched look!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018 05:48:44 AM »

Oh, this is so beautiful. The stitching is incredibly detailed and delicate. Wow, it will be lovely on your wall on it's own or in a collection. I'm excited to see what you make to keep it company Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
We're pranking mom for her 70th, haha. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018 07:42:44 AM »

I fully agree with all that's been said above.
I love it!

PS: what's with the 'this rocks' button?
It doesn't seem to work for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018 07:52:08 AM »

Thanks everyone - I am telling you, Morgan hoops are amazing.  I picked one up years ago because I was going to take up Bunka, and it was supposed to hold the fabric drum tight.  Never did take up Bunka (still am interested - but other things get in my way), but it does hold the fabric drum tight and it makes stitching a dream - really allowing for repeated small fine stitches.  I now own three - two 7" ones for when I have two projects on the go as that is the size I use most often and a 12 inch for large projects - but not a common use size for me.

CLM, I did buy a couple of those hoops from AliExpress you sent me a link for, but it just doesn't hold the fabric as well as a Morgan hoop - so if you ever find one for a decent price - get it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018 08:01:24 AM »

OMG Bunka! I had to look it up, I'm sorry I did. I do not need another crafty lust in my life right now, lol.

I will get a Morgan hoop, I've been so disapointed with the tension I can get in any of the hoops I've got. If you see a sale in Canada, well you always let me know about the good stuff already so, lol, I'll share with you if I see one before you Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We're pranking mom for her 70th, haha. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Onyxnox

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018 08:59:07 AM »

OMG Bunka! I had to look it up, I'm sorry I did. I do not need another crafty lust in my life right now, lol.

I will get a Morgan hoop, I've been so disapointed with the tension I can get in any of the hoops I've got. If you see a sale in Canada, well you always let me know about the good stuff already so, lol, I'll share with you if I see one before you Smiley.

Sadly, I bought the first hoop from an American supplier at the Creative Sewing and Needlework show (when it was still that) and have not seen them back.  I have never seen it at Canadian stores I have been, but I should recommend it!  But I have found it on Amazon after searching and searching - and forgetting what they were called for a few years.  If you get it from Amazon, it is not terribly expensive.  I think I got the 7" one for $12, and I have the 10" one saved for later when I can add it to other things for free shipping.  I think it is about $16-$17 CDN right now.

As for Bunka/Bunka Shishu - there used to be a society in Toronto/Ontario, but the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre offers classes for a nice price in Toronto, but only on Mondays and Tuesdays, which are my work days and I would never get there in time!

BTW - 55% off coupon at Michaels tomorrow!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018 09:07:04 AM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018 09:13:32 AM »

The lap combo (7&9") is $40, it's in my amazon cart right now. I wasn't sure about the sticky outty bits that hold the 2 together but I have wanted a stand.

And you my friend are a terrible influence, lol. What do I need/want at Michael's, I'll have to think about that...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018 09:29:42 AM »

Enabler... If I have to fall down the rabbit hole, I am grabbing anyone else I can hang onto to make the trip with me!

I have never worked with a stand, so I have been able to withstand that - I like the portability of a regular hoop Smiley

One of my best friends cross stitches, and likes the barred rolling frames - don't remember what they are called - but she also does large art pieces, as well as small, whereas I like to do smaller pieces in general, so stick with the hoop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Strawberry Basil Muffins
@Home This Weekend: DIY Earthbox
July 11, 2018 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...