A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,635
Currently Running With Scissors:
124 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Olive Green Linen Dress Make-Over  (Read 1311 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2018 07:49:39 AM »

I picked up a dress at Goodwill because I liked the fabric. It's a really soft cotton/linen blend with some decent weight to it.

I took it almost completely apart and re-fitted it into a knee-length, casual dress with a side zipper. My DS suggested I change the color to violet, but I can't bleach out the olive.  Cry I could always dye it a darker color, though...black, navy, dark green. I didn't have matching thread - I just used ivory cotton thread - so I'd like to dye it regardless.

I'd also like to add patch pockets...need to decide between using the same fabric and the fabric I used to face the collar and armholes.

Here's what the original dress looked like:

Thanks for looking! I'm totally stuck, so any opinions on dye color or pocket fabric would be much appreciated!  Kiss

THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018 08:39:24 AM »

You are my new crush!!!  I haven't sewn much clothing because it really is time consuming and clothes are so "cheap" now...but, to take a lovely fabric and make it your own still appeals to me...

I bet the touch and look of this fabric is fabulous...and what a find and good eye you have!  I kinda like the soft neutral, but I can see how a young woman like you would want a brighter color...do you like grey?  I think it would cover the neutral and then you could always use jewelry and scarves, shawls, etc. to brighten it up...

What a transformation!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018 08:49:51 AM »

Everything AIMR said + my recent deepening of my linen love has me super jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 39
tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018 09:24:19 AM »

You are my new crush!!!  I haven't sewn much clothing because it really is time consuming and clothes are so "cheap" now...but, to take a lovely fabric and make it your own still appeals to me...

I bet the touch and look of this fabric is fabulous...and what a find and good eye you have!  I kinda like the soft neutral, but I can see how a young woman like you would want a brighter color...do you like grey?  I think it would cover the neutral and then you could always use jewelry and scarves, shawls, etc. to brighten it up...

What a transformation!!!
Everything AIMR said + my recent deepening of my linen love has me super jealous!

Thank you so much! <3

Grey is a great idea! I love it in all its shades. Thanks for the input!

I do love bright colors, but it's my son who requested the violet - I wanted something modest and simple. I had made myself an olive dress a few years back for my nephew's wedding, but I lost all the baby weight and it's too big now. It was so much work and turned out so nicely that I didn't have the heart to take it apart to try to resize it. This dress cost me, I think, $5, so I wasn't too scared of screwing it up. I'm still pretty inexperienced with sewing clothes and getting them to fit right without a pattern to spell it all out for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018 10:03:14 AM »

I think it takes seeing people like you, being daring and brave and figuring out how to make something, that really keeps the spark going for me...it is all new and exciting again, just as watching a child discover things that you might have taken for granted because of time, age and experiences in life...

I miss the days of just going for it...fitting as I went, using my dress model (which I gave away years ago because it was gathering dust...*sigh)...

Please keep sewing and following the dreams in your blog of having a unique and custom wardrobe of clothing...it is an inspiring goal!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018 10:03:49 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
excelsior
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018 06:58:48 AM »

Very neatly done!  I also look at thrifted clothes with the idea to refashion them, but never get around to it, nor do I have good enough sewing skills to do so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tendstowardschaos

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018 02:01:16 PM »

Very neatly done!  I also look at thrifted clothes with the idea to refashion them, but never get around to it, nor do I have good enough sewing skills to do so.

Thank you! I'm still figuring it out, really. My last dress recon isn't even wearable. But, I learned some things from the attempt. It took me 8 months to get up the courage to try again with this dress.

I dyed it this morning, and I have to say that I like the new color better. Thank you, AIMR, for suggesting I go grey with it. I'm going to leave off the pockets, I think, and call this one done.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018 03:32:09 PM »

Oh, I sure would wear that dress!  Nice shape and nice color...

Seriously, most people would have no idea even when we make mistakes!  Yes, you do learn from each try, so just do it...failures lead to success really quickly!

wow--so many ways to accessorize that dress!  It fits your blog goals of a versatile piece!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
tendstowardschaos

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018 05:32:56 AM »

Oh, I sure would wear that dress!  Nice shape and nice color...

Seriously, most people would have no idea even when we make mistakes!  Yes, you do learn from each try, so just do it...failures lead to success really quickly!

wow--so many ways to accessorize that dress!  It fits your blog goals of a versatile piece!

Thanks! I can't wait to have an occasion to wear it.

It's true, no one notices the mistakes that we know are there because we know every inch of our creations intimately. And failures do teach you more than successes, so never be afraid to fail. Using thrifted materials makes failure hurt just a bit less, too.

I like the way this dress fits a little better when wearing a wide belt, so I whipped up an obi-style belt last night to go with it (inspiration). Had just enough of that cute poppy/lizard fabric to manage it...maybe it is a couple inches shorter than what I'd have liked, but...hey, more motivation to get myself back into shape, I suppose.  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018 11:50:45 AM »

Love the addition of that obi style belt!  What a good idea since it will adjust to your changing weight/shape!  Very flattering!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018 12:17:25 PM »

Beautifully done and the belt is the perfect addition.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Bow Sleeve T-Shirt
Fun and Games
Meal Prep Monday: Sausage and Veggie Foil Pouch

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...