A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,932
Currently Running With Scissors:
345 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stars and Stripes Toddler Quilt w/lots of in-process pics  (Read 592 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2018 08:13:04 AM »

I originally intended this to be a Christmas present for my toddler, but I overextended myself and it ended up being a birthday present instead. I had made everyone else in my house a quilt of their own, including the cat (excluding the fish, lol), so I feel a bit guilty that it took me two years to get around to making one for the baby.  Embarrassed

I started with a theme of the American flag and bought most of the fabric with that in mind. Then I made a plan based on how much fabric I had in each print. Kind of backwards, but it was a fun challenge.

I used this tutorial to make the squares, and started laying them randomly.

But, I didn't like how that looked. So, I modified my plans.

I liked that much better. I chose to do a border in a golden yellow since many ceremonial flags have a gold fringe and the primary colors make me happy.

When it came time to do the back of the quilt, I didn't want just a solid color or print. I have been wanting to try out piecing with jelly rolls and I saw this great pattern on pinterest. I had red, white, and blue fabric in equal portions, so I went back to the graph paper and made a plan.

I put it together without any pinning, so it's a bit wonky.  Cheesy

Definitely not wide enough and I ran out of fabric. I ordered a custom print from Spoonflower without getting swatches first...big mistake. Roll Eyes The color was nothing like the preview and didn't match what I already had.  Cry  Off to the fabric store...luckily, they had some new fabrics and I found one I liked even better.

I free-motion quilted it with an echoed star pattern. 80% of the way through quilting, my machine started acting up in desperate need of a good oiling...oops. Thought I had the problem solved, finished up, only to find that the tension had gotten screwed up for a small section of quilting and needed restitching.  Tongue Re-stitched it, that's why some of the stitching really stands out in the pictures...I'll pick out the bad stitches later. My little boy was pretty happy when I handed it to him this morning, all finished.  Cheesy

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018 04:45:49 PM »

Ooh, lovely quilt! Thanks for sharing your progress pics, I always love seeing those!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018 05:53:45 AM »

Beautiful quilt.  The in process pictures are really helpful in seeing your process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018 07:54:31 AM »

It's wonderful, both front and back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PLEASE MESSAGE ME YOUR CONTACT INFO!!!!!!!!

Craftster member 2006-2020 #CraftsterFriendsForver #craftyfriendsforever

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018 08:37:09 AM »

Great job -front and back- I love how you chart out your quilts on graph paper- very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018 06:23:38 AM »

Thanks, everyone! Quilting is such a rewarding process for me, like a crafting marathon.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...