A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and encouraged! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 314,563
Currently Running With Scissors:
252 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gigantic carnivorous SWEATERPUS, monsterous with even more photos  (Read 1780 times)
Tags for this thread: stuffed_animal , octopus , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 18, 2018 02:51:20 PM »

This could go in a few categories I think so I'll just put it here in the misc section. I wasn't sure what to name it, thanks for the suggestion TheMistressT!

I have quite the collection of natural fiber sweaters rescued from thrift shops and shrunk up in the laundry to use for crafts. I felt like the stash had gotten a bit out of control so planned a larger project to use some up.
This gigantic octopus was made for my step-son, here it is on his bed.

Originally I planned to make him a bean-bag style seat for reading but he's a kid that has trouble keeping his room tidy so instead it's got a zipper in the bottom and holds all the rest of his stuffed animal collection. This way he can sleep with ALL of them at once, or wear them all as a hat. Whatever.

It's 5"8' from tentacle tip to tip and took a whole lot of careful piecing by hand before I could machine stitch the sections together. I've worked on it for the bulk of 4+ days in total.

What a mess.

AAAHHH, It's hungry for children!

EDITED TO ADD:
Because I like to share how I make things I'll put a few more images in this post.

I needed to piece together sweaters bits to make large enough panels for the octopus segments. rather than trying to sew them by machine and ending up with bulky seams, I hand stitched them with embroidery thread in a flat sort of seam, double rows of stitching for security.

Trying to keep withing a range of shades meant using some smaller pieces but I did manage to make 2 of each panel so while the final product is random there is some pattern going on as well.

Because it's my pattern I did not bother to correct the double bump at the top (left side), that is meant to me one curve instead of the 2 showing. See the next photo for clarity.

And cut the piece out leaving a generous seam allowance. That may be why the entire project is so much bigger than I anticipated.

The octopus is too floppy even when stuffed with toys so I made a liner out of shirt fabric and hand stitched it to the inside and along the zipper edges dividing the whole thing into 2 separate hemispheres, each of which got stuffed with sweater trim cut up into small bits. I couldn't seem to fill the beast no matter how much stuffing I made, I even resorted to using a rotary cutter to chop up tshirt trim that was destined for the bin. I think I spend 3 days doing just that and my hands are quite sore.

I earned myself a little crafting injury that still hasn't completely healed 2 weeks later.

It needed some sort of features, I came up with these funky multi patterned eyes, I love them.

Look at that face!

Then he ate all the stuffies...

...and had a nap taking up nearly half the bed. Not sure where the boy is going to fit if he tries to sleep with that monster.

This has got to be the most enormous, time consuming, ridiculously labour intensive, and also plain old ridiculous thing I've ever made. It weighs TWENTY POUNDS when it's empty! He is not a gentle lad  either and there's so much hand sewing involved. Anyone want to bet on how long it will be until his room is coated in the octo's sweater confetti guts? Sigh.

And after all that I've still got loads of sweaters to use up. This hardly even made a dent!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018 09:03:00 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018 02:52:59 PM »

It's brilliant!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018 02:56:21 PM »

Thank you Smiley. I will try to get better photos when it's lighter out. I was just SO excited to finally be finished with the fluffy Kraken!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018 03:14:46 PM »

I've been staring at this blank reply box for awhile and still not come up with the right words for how fun, funky, practical, and clever this is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 67
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018 04:33:05 PM »

Never ever would I have thought to use a sweater stash for this!  Nice storage, too, for toys or even clothes!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018 05:26:43 PM »

It is super floppy and hug-gable, it's really a hilarious thing. Very soft fulled wool with lots of cashmere and angora too so it's got super soft patches all over it. This kid came to me at 7 years old, I have lots of crafting time to make up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018 08:05:39 PM »

Haha, I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi

Opa!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018 01:41:20 AM »

That's great!  I like that it looks like a sun when laid flat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018 06:45:58 AM »

And this is another reason why you're so awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

Jkl/z.?UCIO[;Tvadd!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018 08:23:30 AM »

Outstanding giant cephalopod!  I particularly like the photo of your stepson wearing it on his head . . . he does know octopi are carnivorous, right?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Easy No-Sew Halloween Bunting
Witch, Please!
Meatless Monday: Buttercup Cream Cake

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...