A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 313,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
266 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Decorated wooden spool, photo tute with tips  (Read 169 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

A CANDLE LIT FOR YOU!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 14, 2018 07:36:18 AM »

The edges of an old wooden spool were painted with nail polish. Despite the noxious fumes it's one of my favourite things to paint items like this with because it comes in every imaginable colour, can be had for a buck or 2 at a dollar store, the containers are small enough that many are easily stored without taking up much space, it sticks to nearly anything, dries quickly, and can be layered any way you like.

I used beading end caps that have a much smaller hole than the spool. To keep them lined up neatly I found some small wooden beads to wedge into the spool opening. I painted the beads the same silver as the spool ends, this was to blend in the colour but also to secure the beads even more. A thick layer of polish acts a bit like glue.

I've been all about rainbow everything for months now so sorted out the beads to make a pattern. Random is just as nice looking though, do what you like. It's good to thread the string (I used dental floss) through a single bead at the ends of the spool to help with alignment. I chose to bead 2 strands to dangle in the tassel but you can tie off anywhere you wish so long as you leave something to attach the tassel to. Try to do it where the knot and thread ends will not show. Adding a small bead of strong glue at the knot is a great way to ensure it stays tied.

Use a prefab tassel or make one yourself anyhow you like. I made a tassel out of thin strips of fabric scraps left over from another project. Stacked in colours and stitched to another strip of fabric then trimmed across the bottom. The fabric strip everything is stitched too will get folded over and the whole line of strips rolled up and sewn together. I did stitch those strands of beads to the inside of that roll, that's how the tassel is secured in place.

The strip of fabric on the spool can be secured with glue but I just stitched tightly at the join and that was strong enough to keep it in place. I'm thinking about what sort of message to add, stitched, stamped, something... we shall see Smiley

The closure can be a button sewn to the strip or a thin bit of ribbon that wraps around, a string tied in a bow, or a button on a bit of elastic like I did.

I thought about hanging this in the car but realized the loop is too small to get over the rearview mirror and too long to hang it off of something else so it will live in the craft room instead and I'll make another for the car with an openable loop. I'll post photos of that when it's finished.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018 07:37:48 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PerfectlyBohemian
Fiber Arts Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018 07:49:57 AM »

Beautiful Smiley

I used a hair tie to loop mine around the mirror in my car if you still want to try that option. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018 08:04:30 AM »

So cheery and fun! I really like how as a whole it is plenty charming, but that you can look closely and find all kinds of details.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 14
steiconi
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018 10:13:08 AM »

lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018 12:42:38 PM »

This is wonderful!  Thanks so much for sharing how it is made.  I need to make one to hang on my purse  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Winter Market 2017
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Stained Chairs
Tute Tuesday: Box of Chocolates Wreath
Sweet Hearts

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...