A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 314,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
199 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Purple Chairs of my Dreams  (Read 1109 times)
Tags for this thread: chair , stained , stained_wood , furniture , purple  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 10, 2018 07:53:11 AM »

Just before buying our house in 2016, I bumped into an Etsy shop that made the most beautiful furniture, and promptly fell in love with all of their tables.  (Nature Inspired Crafts on Etsy.  The owner Kent is super nice, and was great to work with.)  It was an extra happy surprise that they are here in TN too!  So when we moved in, I started saving for a small table for the breakfast room, and was able to buy it last summer.  The table is made from reclaimed wood, and inset with beautiful iridescent tiles in deep purple and blue, that shimmer with hints of olive green, magenta and gold.  Only problem?  The awesome artist who made it, doesn't make chairs to go with it.  What's a crafty girl to do, besides make them her own damn self?!?! 

Originally I was going to stain whatever chairs I found a solid brown, in the same stain that the Etsy artist used, but while looking around for the chairs, I bumped into some on Target's website, that had the back and legs painted in a vibrant color (turquoise, blue, red, sage, white, etc.), with the seat in a brown stain.  Clearly I needed to add some color to the chairs, to stand up to the beautiful color in the tiles!  I searched for unfinished chairs, and finally found some that I liked the shape of, from made by International Concepts for sale on Amazon for $130.  They come in pieces, which was actually perfect for me, as I could stain them all individually before assembling them. 

I began searching for colorful stain, and discovered a company called Unicorn SPiT that makes incredibly bright gel stains.  I admit that this took me a bit of trial and error to get right.  I wanted to be able to see the woodgrain through the stain, and according to their website you can dilute the stain (which is VERY thick and goes on like tempera paint) with water. I diluted it to about 80% stain and 20% water, and used a brush to apply it.  Sadly, I didn't like the results.  It was a greyed out purple, and was very streaky.  So I sanded it all back down, and bought another bottle of the stain.  (All colors available on Amazon, a few of their colors available at Home Depot.)  This time I kept the stain undiluted and used a rag to apply it.  It took 2-3 coats to get good solid coverage, and it dried a BRIGHT poster paint purple that was kinda terrible, and had me worried.  (My husband was eying them dubiously at this point.)  After everything was dry and assembled (and sanded and buffed with steel wool several times between coats), I started in on the polyurethane coat.  They got 3 coats of an oil based finish, with a day between coats to dry.  This took the bright (kinda awful) purple into a deep rich tone that I LOVE.  Seriously, I keep going into the kitchen, and just stand there staring at my awesome new chairs.

And since they look so good, I'm thinking of sanding down the boring old wooden step stool that lives in the same room, and staining it purple to match with the leftover stain.  And of course, since the table is handmade, and the chairs are diy, I *clearly* need to make a rug to go with all of it....  So of course, that's in the works too.  #neverdone #ialwaysneedanewproject Wink 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018 08:54:44 AM »

Holy h*ck! All your hard work in sourcing, saving, searching, and trial&error-ing really paid off! These are gorgeous on their own and then so perfect with your table! Cant wait to see the stool and rug!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 54
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018 11:41:36 AM »

Thanks MistressT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018 06:50:03 PM »

Good for you! You could not have purchased anything better suited to that lovely table. I'm looking forward to seeing the carpet you create to match, I just know it's going to be amazing Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018 10:11:08 PM »

lovely! i like that the grain is visible it gives them a high end sophisticated look you dont always see with painted furniture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/CWARTIST
cwart on facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cwart/121699394603368
find my tutorials on craftartedu: http://craftartedu.com/instructors/index/view/id/176/
my pinterest: http://pinterest.com/cwart/
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018 08:04:19 AM »

Thanks guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet

^Sushi. My problem child.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018 12:33:31 PM »

They are gorgeous! I have a purple (kind of awful) room that I love in my home Smiley Your chairs complement the table perfectly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018 10:13:56 AM »

They are so vibrant! Totally you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018 01:02:57 PM »

Thanks friends!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

All you need is love.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018 07:15:08 AM »

Beautiful and amazing, my friend. Well worth the journey to the final product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...