A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy chicken curry, prep time 20 mins  (Read 580 times)
Tags for this thread: soup , recipe , dinner  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2018 01:42:15 PM »

This one my fella makes but it's best simmered for a couple of hours at least and he gets in from work at 5 so I thought I'd make it in time for dinner tonight with left overs for the week. Measurements are all approximate, it's good no matter what you do Wink.

Ingredients:
Good quality oil (olive, coconut)
Cumin, whole seeds or powder
Curry powder
Garam Masala powder (optional)
Salt
Chicken, cut in chunks or larger pieces
Chopped: onion, carrot, potato, sweet potato, apple or pear
Chicken broth

In a large heavy bottomed pot heat a little oil over med-high heat, when hot add whole cumin seeds and stir to toast (you can certainly use cumin powder if you like, add it in with the curry powder).
When fragrant (a minute or two) add in a generous tablespoon or so of curry powder, garam masala (optional), and a bit of salt. Stir around for another couple of minutes.
Add the onions and saute to soften a bit (about 10 mins).

Toss in the chicken and turn as needed until about 75% cooked (still quite raw in the centres but starting to brown a bit on the outsides).

Add potato, carrot, onion, sweet potato, and fruit, stirring all to coat in curry.

Pour in the broth to just the top of everything and bring to a light boil.

Simmer uncovered for a couple to few hours, the longer the better. Hurry Hurry spoils the curry Wink. You can thicken the broth by tossing the chicken pieces in a little flour before browning. For a gluten-free version add your thickener of choice at the end (we use tapioca starch). If you are going to simmer for hours & don't want the veggies turned to mush you can add them in later on. I recommend at least an hour of cooking time for them.

I made 2 small alterations: minced garlic added when the chicken was nearly finished sauteeing, before adding in the veggies. And bay leaves to the broth, I love the addition of bay to nearly everything. I would also throw in some fresh thyme sprigs if I had some.

Serve over rice, with naan, or on it's own as a stew, sprinkle on some fresh cilantro leaves as garnish, yummy!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018 04:10:09 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PLEASE MESSAGE ME YOUR CONTACT INFO!!!!!!!!

Craftster member 2006-2020 #CraftsterFriendsForver #craftyfriendsforever

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018 09:55:10 AM »

Yum! Bet it smells great! Perfect for a cold night.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding
Thankful DIY

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...