A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 321,384
Currently Running With Scissors:
141 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Americana Ribbon Flag  (Read 317 times)
Tags for this thread: flag , patriotic , american_flag , budget , 4th_of_july  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

hillcitybride
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2018 01:20:05 PM »

These flags are easy and inexpensive - use ribbon from leftover projects to create these cutie pie flags!

Supplies:

Ribbon in red, white and blue
Jute twine
A stick from your backyard
Scissors

Cut 7 strips of red ribbon, 6 strips of white (or cream) ribbon and 5 strips of blue ribbon. The length of these pieces will be determined by the size flag you would like, the size of ribbon and also the length of your stick. You will be doubling the ribbon, so be sure to cut it TWICE as long as you would like your flag strips to be. Cut the red and white stripes to approximately the same length.

Cut the blue pieces to be half the length of the red and white ones. For the large flag, my strips were around 30″ long (therefore the blue ones about 15″), and for the small one, my red and white strips were around 18″ long (therefore the blue ones around 9″).

Start with a red ribbon piece, and use best I can tell its called a cow hitch knot a simple knot to attach it to the stick. Its more of a loop that you feed the ends through.

Begin alternating red and white ribbons.

It is VERY IMPORTANT that all of your knots face the same way. Basically you are creating the red, white, red pattern of the flag by alternating ribbon colors.

Once you have completed knot #8 (doing red, white, red, white, red, white, red, white), then add in your first blue piece of ribbon. Then continue with your red and white pattern while inserting a blue ribbon in the opposite direction every other one. The pattern is red, blue, white, blue, red, blue, whiteetc. until you reach the very end. Again, be sure that your blue ribbons only are knotted in the opposite direction.

Once you have used all of the ribbon pieces, tie your twine using simple knots on either end so that you can utilize the twine as a hanger for the ribbon flag (see left photo below). Then tighten the loops and scrunch them towards each other to make sure that they are close together.

At this time separate out your blue knots from the red and white ones. Again, the blue loop knots should be facing the opposite direction). This is so when you hang it, the blue ribbons will be on top of the red and white to create the blue patch on the flag (see right photo).

Now you are ready to hang your flag!

The beauty of this project is that if you arent happy with the length of the ribbon, you can feel free to trim the ends until you find a size you like. I made two different flags a smaller one (left) and a little bit of a larger one (right). I think I like the tiny one better.

Want to see a video of this project? Just head to my site here http://www.hillcitybride.com/2017/07/patriotic-diy-wedding-favor/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Happy Hobbit Day!
@Home This Weekend: Garden Painting
September 19, 2018 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...