A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
NOVEMBER NEWS: Did you vote for the best DIY costume yet?
Total Members: 314,823
Currently Running With Scissors:
237 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegetarian Ramen Broth  (Read 919 times)
Tags for this thread: ramen , noodles  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Acadian Driftwood
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 03, 2018 06:13:01 PM »

I've been playing around with this recipe for a while, trying to get a complex broth in a short amount of time. I think this builds a good balance of flavors, and it's become a popular dinner at my house!

This is a recipe for one portion - if you're making for more than one, I would suggest cooking each noodle cake separately from the broth. Here is each ingredient in the order they are added, left to right in three rows:

Spinach: just a couple leaves. Tear it up and put it at the bottom of your bowl. Everything will go on top and wilt it nicely as the soup cools.

Olive oil and sesame oil: a good splash of each. Sorry for the vague measurements with a lot of these, it's the kind of recipe where you just splash stuff in until it looks good!  Wink Heat the oils in a small saucepan.

Shallot: a tablespoon or two minced. Cook it in the hot oil until it starts to brown a bit.

Mushroom: one smallish mushroom chopped up. Add it to the pot and sautee until it starts to soften.

Ginger and garlic: a clove of garlic, minced, and about the same amount of grated ginger. Add them in and cook for only half a minute or so, until they start sticking to the bottom of the pot.

Tamari (or soy sauce): deglaze the pot with a few good dashes of this, probably a tablespoon or less.

Water (not pictured): add one and a half cups of water right after the tamari.

Salt + Pepper: because why not, just throw some in there.

Rice vinegar, brown sugar, and hot pepper flakes: a dash or two of rice vinegar, a pinch of brown sugar, and a smidge and a half of pepper flakes. I hope you're enjoying these measurements. Bring all of this to a boil for however long you can stand to wait around, usually like five minutes.

Frozen veggies: a good handful, I use a mix and some edamame. Dump them in and bring back to a boil.

Noodle cake: add it now if you're making the single-serving recipe. If not, cook each cake in another small saucepan and turn out into your waiting bowls with a little broth on top to keep it warm.

Egg: I like to just crack it right in there once the noodles are pliable enough to separate. My partner prefers a fried egg on top. Some people like a boiled egg cut up as a garnish. If you poach it in the pot, lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cover the pot until the egg is set to your liking.

Gently turn the entire contents of your little pot into the bowl with spinach at the bottom. Garnish with some chopped scallion.

It may not be the most photogenic noodle bowl, but it hits the spot for me (a rural Vermonter with no good ramen shop within a 60 mile radius).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018 06:31:38 AM »

Looks delicious!  I LOVE your method of cooking...I make Pho and ramen a lot and change it up depending on what I have on hand!  Commercial ramen packets have so much sodium. 

It looks delicious and healthy!  Thanks for sharing...your pictures really do show the deliciousness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
blupaisan

I work for Cats.

I am the DandiGirl, koo koo ka choo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018 09:40:38 AM »

love love love the humor in this writing. I think the pinch of this and smidgen of that is the way for a REAL cook to go!
It sounds delish and I like very much the technique of adding the hot stuff directly onto the spinach leaves so they retain their vitamins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are the Redcoats. And they are ours! Or tonight Becky Thatcher sleeps a widow!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018 12:44:20 PM »

This looks super tasty. I've been encouraging the kids to drop an egg into their soup if they aren't sure what to eat and don't have any other protein on the menu. They do a lot of cooking for themselves (they are 10, 10, and 16) and this looks like a doable challenge for them. Thanks for the recipe and awesome photo tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Rosie1981
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018 12:47:55 PM »

This looks so good and I love ramen so i'll have to give this a try! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady4feet

^Sushi. My problem child.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018 03:45:35 PM »

This is exactly how I explain recipes  Cheesy It drives my husband nuts. Looks tasty, going to have to give it a go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018 05:20:16 PM »

I love this! Well except the egg which I will omit Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Jewelry Art
November 14, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cupcake Bath Bombs

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...