A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 322,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
156 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Monster Attack! And just in time for Valentine's Day! With tut and pictures!  (Read 873 times)
Tags for this thread: monster , horns , monster_eyes , doll , art_doll , stuffie , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
cmarion3
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2018 09:20:34 AM »

Back in 2013 I made a series of monsters for our church's Holiday Fair fundraiser. My friend bought one and gave it to her niece. Her niece loved the little funny guy. Last fall my friend asked me to make another for her niece's husband, apparently, he felt the other monster was lonely.  Smiley The originals are here:
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=428559.msg5115051#msg5115051

All my dolls are OOAKs. And I rarely spend the brain cells to remember how I created them. I have made other scrappy fabric based monsters, but these were a lot of work and I had never made any more.

Since monsters run in packs, I ended up making a total of 4. They are rather bossy creatures.

I found the fabric, its a piece of fake raw silk texture, dull red on the right side, shiny bright red on the inside, rather ugly. I painted it with gesso and black paint mixed (two coats), and drew lines with indelible markers. I ended up painting two more swatches of fabric to complete the base, tails, arms, and legs. I always forget how much fabric these parts take.

More horns were needed. They are of polymer clay, baked and painted with washes of a gloss finish with a bit of brown or gold added. They are just simple rolled cones twisted into horns. Note the flared base so they don't pop out of the horn holes in the head to easily. I do glue them in, but the flared base helps.

I then drew the monster shapes. Very complicated shapes. Grin Just simple rounded topped rectangles. I actually had the original patterns with eye and mouth positions. I cut the eyes from felt, large ovals for color, smaller for white, and machine stitched them on. The mouth, horn holes and circles around the eyes were also machine stitched with multiple passes. For the stuffing opening I stitched a "wound" up the back, then slit between the stitching. You could do all the detailing by hand, but as I avoid all hand stitching I can, I use the machine for every possible bit.

I glued monster eyes on and let dry. Luckily I had enough monster eyes to do 4 monsters. Tut here: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430188.0#axzz2tFYOOS9z

I stitched all the arms and feet. I used heavy floral wire shoved up the fingers and then stuffed to make the arms bendable. I wired the tails as well. The feet were just stuffed. The feet and tail are sewn on with the oval base, but the arms are attached with buttons and floss through the body.

Stitch the sides and top of the monster leaving holes for the horns. (I make the holes a bit tight with lots of backstitching so I can open it up stitch by stitch to fit the horns.) Leave the bottom open. I always stitch on the right side at trim with pinking shears or straight as you simply cannot turn the painted fabric and live. I then zig-zag over the narrow seams.

The hardest part is the base. cut an oval about 1.5 inches x the witdth of the bottom. You have to fuss with this part as it never fits.

Pin the feet and tail in position on the inside, but facing out, add the bottom oval, pin like crazy and stitch. I really cannot explain better.

To keep the monsters seated I cut an oval of cardboard from a cracker box to fit in the base (lots of trimming here), then made a little bag same size as the base, full of sand, tied at the top to weight the monster down. They do wander around sometimes. I then fit and glued the horns in, and stuffed them. I stitched the backs up leaving stitch ties for fun.

Add a button for the belly button to give them some shape and hid the dimple in the back by anchoring the tail in place at that spot.

Take a long needle, floss, buttons and add the arms. I again cinched up the body a bit when I tied the arms on to add more shape.

Done, except for making scrappy hearts to go with them. My friend picked out her monster to send away and the rest will go in the Holiday Fair in November...if they last that long! I may sell if anyone wants one.

Whew, way more work than I had remembered. I guess it's good to have a selective memory.

Other monsters:
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431626.0
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=438631.0
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=428670.0

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018 06:24:30 AM by cmarion3 - Reason: added photos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
nancylvania
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018 11:15:44 AM »

SO CUTE
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018 06:59:47 PM »

So scary! And cute. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 33
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018 11:45:14 AM »

Love them. I certainly can not show my children or they will try talking me into making one for each of their class mates by the 14th. That is way more monsters than even I can create in only a few days! Maybe just one or two for them as a surprise Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

I make all of my dough by at yeast leaven o'clock!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018 10:26:11 AM »

Cool assortment of striped, horned, Valentine's Day monstrosities--they resemble Gru's Minions a little bit too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018 12:55:40 PM »

Maybe they are distant cousins. We'll have to do an ancestry search or do a DNA test.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
May 22, 2019 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Slick Coat Rack
Give Me a Hand

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...