A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Want to join a Craft swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 313,889
Currently Running With Scissors:
324 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to remove a stencil from clear glass?  (Read 602 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 31, 2018 11:01:14 AM »

I have this neat little bottle and would like to get the print off. I watched a youtube of someone successfully removing like by soaking in CLR but the image you see is after a 3 day bath in the stuff so that's a wash. Any ideas? If I sand it away is there a method to polish it back to a shiny surface?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018 12:17:35 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018 12:58:22 PM »

Is it etched into the surface? Then only polishing the surface down would remove it. But, my guess is that since it is a laboratory glassware, the label is meant to withstand some pretty harsh chemicals and cannot be removed by ordinary people like us. AT least without Alchemical skills.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018 01:09:59 PM »

I want said Alchemical skills, I better look into those Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
steiconi
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018 03:52:45 PM »

That's probably acid etched onto pyrex, which is a harder glass than the stuff you use for drinking glasses and regular bottles.

You might be able to use an etching cream on the entire bottle, so the whole thing is frosted.  I'm not sure if regular etching cream works on pyrex, though.

Alternatively, you might be able to heat it in a kiln, glory hole, or on a glass torch to gloss up the frosted areas.  This is probably impractical, and the bottle could break in the process.

I would put some kind of sticker or label over the etched areas and pretend they aren't there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018 04:49:55 PM »

I really do need it clear. I know some hot glass artists, I guess I should consult one of them. They work in hard glass aka pyrex so should know it it's possible. I imagine heating it enough to melt an etching would cause the form to slump but maybe a torch is enough to singe the design off without softening the glass.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeapFeetFirst

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018 06:32:00 AM »

If the labels are enamel and if you have access to a kiln- the directions in the first comment on this page may help. It seems like a lot of work!

http://www.instructables.com/topics/How-to-remove-white-enamel-labels-and-graduation-l/
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018 12:03:59 PM by LeapFeetFirst » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018 08:20:29 AM »

Thank you! I will forward that info to a place with a kiln and see if they are able and willing and what it would cost. If it's lots maybe it's time I got a little kiln of my own... because that's what I need. Another craft to do Cheesy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

T-Mobile done right

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018 08:37:13 AM »

Those things are made tough--we used to use benzene and even hydrochloric acid to get stubborn stains out of them in organic chemistry lab when I was in college, so, as others have said, you're probably going to really have your work cut out for you trying to get the text/graphics off that glass!  I dropped one of those things in the lab sink one time, shattered it, and had to pay like $25 to replace it before the university would give me my credits for that semester. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018 08:44:28 AM »

I got it free from a neighbour so I really can't complain too much. I wanted to use it for an eventual one-of-these-years Halloween party, I have plans for a whole collection of ooky things in bottles and jars.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

T-Mobile done right

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018 09:30:20 AM »

I would argue that the original text/markings will actually make the flask look more authentic for whatever weird specimen you put inside it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bright Spring Wreath
Tute Tuesday: Postage Stamp Cards
Crazy Cacti

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...