A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Want to join a Craft swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 314,386
Currently Running With Scissors:
193 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beginner - don't know where to start with men's shirt pattern sizing  (Read 399 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

loopstation
« on: January 23, 2018 08:57:39 PM »

Background: I'm finally starting to use my sewing machine to do small things like alter jeans and make small (non-clothing) projects. I picked up a pattern for Mimi G's Simplicity Fitted Shirt thinking with help from the videos I could possibly make an item of clothing.

I'm totally lost. I measured my boyfriend today and the sizes are all over the place. I got enough fabric to account for the largest size, but as far as actually using the pattern based on these measurements...I have no idea.

Chest: 38" (size 38)
Waist: 36" (size 42)
Hip: 37" (size 36)
Neck band: 15" (size 38)
Huh

Do I cut out the pattern to size 42 and proceed with that, then drape it on him to take it in? Do I do alterations on the actual pattern tissue? All the videos I'm finding that show how to do this show a very streamlined-size-of-person. Help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018 04:23:50 AM »

You can trace the pattern pieces onto tracing paper (like a roll of sturdy tissue, available in art shops) so you don't use the original. Make a test garment out of some other fabric and alter that, transfer the alterations to the pattern you traced out & you have a custom fit garment pattern. If it's really the wrong size you can trace another from the original pattern which is still intact.
Good luck! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
loopstation
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018 10:13:12 AM »

You can trace the pattern pieces onto tracing paper (like a roll of sturdy tissue, available in art shops) so you don't use the original. Make a test garment out of some other fabric and alter that, transfer the alterations to the pattern you traced out & you have a custom fit garment pattern. If it's really the wrong size you can trace another from the original pattern which is still intact.
Good luck! Smiley

Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018 11:04:20 AM »

Good luck! Smiley

Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful. Cheesy

craftylittlemonkey is the best!

How is it going for you so far, loopstation?  Did you give your pattern pieces a whirl yet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Buster Small Bag
Save Your Place
Meatless Monday: Black Bean & Caramelized Onion Tacos

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...