A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
212 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Labor of Love--Re-making a Baby Quilt  (Read 756 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt_repair , baby_quilt , gingham  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: January 16, 2018 09:56:49 PM »

A few years ago, my brother's then-girlfriend gave me her tattered, falling apart baby quilt. It had been tied and there were holes where the ties were, most of the batting was gone but for a few bunched up bits, and both the front and back fabrics were paper thin with tons of holes. I pulled it apart, saving the fabric but without a clear idea of how to repair it in a way that would retain the originality of the quilt.

The sad pieces sat in a drawer until a few months ago when I re-discovered them and decided to finally tackle this for my now-sister in law for Christmas.  I contacted my friend who sells vintage fabrics and asked her for a small yellow gingham and/or a tiny pink floral. Happily, she was able to supply me with a yard of pink floral and a 9 inch piece of gingham that was very long (like the length of a queen sized quilt).  I hemmed and hawed for several days with lots of sketches, but together with some Kona Snow I finally decided on a layout. I was able to retain most of the original yellow gingham by just cutting off about a 6 inch strip that had the biggest holes.

Using basting spray, I fused the paper thin old yellow gingham to a piece of Kona Snow. You can see some of the smaller holes from the original yarn ties below where the white fabric peaks through. I think it will be find with how densely I quilted it, and of course the basting spray washed out.

I created the backside of the quilt with the new (vintage) pink flowers and Kona Snow in a simple checkerboard with the new (vintage) yellow gingham as a border to give it a bit more size. I had saved enough of the pink floral to use as binding.  

My sister in law was completely thrilled and I totally made her cry. This was a nerve wracking project to take on, and I'm so happy she loves it. She was very,very attached to her baby blanket, as she calls it, and she cried quite a bit upon seeing it. I'm just glad I didn't bung it up!

tl;dr I re-made my sister-in-law's 30-something year old baby quilt. It was really nerve wracking and difficult but she loved it.

Original fabrics: (I don't have pics from a few years ago when I first got the quilt), only the pieces I had ripped apart when I re-descovered the bits a couple months ago)

My sil sent me this pic a few days ago with the quilt in the background. I was absolutely shocked that there used to be blue in the backing fabric! By the time I got it, as you can see above, it was paper thin white fabric with a hint of pink on it.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018 10:25:23 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018 06:50:43 AM »

That is so touching and lovely, I can see why she cried all those happy tears. Wonderful work, just lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
LimeRiot
Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018 08:30:11 PM »

Aww, this is so very special. The quilt itself is really sweet and the story is nearly bringing me to tears too Smiley. Beautiful restoration job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Acadian Driftwood

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018 09:32:38 PM »

It looks like you put so much care into this project, I'm sure that she treasures her blanket in its new form! Very well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Insulated Lunch Sack
Take a Bath!
Meal Prep Monday: Indian-Inspired Savory English Pie

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...