A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
NOVEMBER NEWS: Did you vote for the best DIY costume yet?
Total Members: 314,825
Currently Running With Scissors:
266 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: T-shirt quilt  (Read 972 times)
Tags for this thread: tshirt_quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 13, 2018 07:53:46 AM »

I'm not sure this qualifies as quilting since there isn't actually any quilting or binding involved...

Last summer we took a road trip to the coast (Canada is huge and we started from the middle so that's quite epic actually) where we visited friends who had moved from our area to Cape Breton Island. They handed me a box of tshirts and requested a blanket and since they are visiting this week I thought I had better get cracking. I did the cutting and lots of the sewing yesterday, this morning there was only the centre seam and stitching around to complete.

It could have used another row but this is what they gave me. I cut the squares as large as possible to make it big enough and also to avoid having to cut off any of the images. As with all tshirts though it wasn't possible to completely centre the designs but I only had to sew a border on one shirt to get it to fit with the rest.
I tried a trick I read about, you cut 2 squares then give one a quarter turn so the warp/weave is going in 2 directions. This actually reduces stretch to keep ruffling to a minimum. It seemed effective. I also used a long narrow zigzag stitch to give the sewing a bit of flexibility. The seam allowance is towards the front, I like the way that looks after washing when it gets sort of curly and there are different colours outlining each square. That also adds stability to the quilt instead of it being sewn like a big pillow case.

Not bad timing for such a large project. Good thing too since I've got another on the go for one of the kids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018 08:14:36 AM »

What a nice gift! I made a tee-shirt quilt for a friend last year and I really like the exposed seam thing and have been doing lots of pinning of rag quilt tutorials, which makes me even more curious about this magnificent beast!

~ Did you back these with woven fabric(s)?
~ What did you use a batting, if anything?
~ Sounds like you did not use a fusible stabilizer/interfacing on the back of your tees, yes?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018 08:14:55 AM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 77
JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018 08:30:17 AM »

Oh, I'm interested to know as well! It sounds like this is not backed? I have a ridiculous stack of tees and have been waffeling between another blanket or several bathroom rugs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018 08:40:11 AM »

It's 2 squares stacked on top of each other, one given a 1/4 turn so the stretch runs contrary then the seam allowance on the side with the designs. There isn't any batting because this is only a blanket and no need to quilt or tie since the seams are on one side. You could of course fancy this up with a binding but I don't have time so I only zigzagged around the outside to hold the layers together. You could use pinking shears for the exposed edges if you wished, I think that would look extra nifty.

I made a blanket for myself this way using fleece on the back so it's heavier and warmer than just jersey. You can see where I pieced smaller bits together to make up the squares (I used some of the kids clothes from when they were very little).

Both of my children have blankets like this one here, the seams are inside and the backing is a prefab blanket, the layers are tied at each corner of a square.

I didn't use fusable stabilizer, I don't find it necessary to get a non-waffly seam if you pin your layers together and use something to help feed the top layer evenly if needed. I like that the blankets stay stretchy too, it's a nice comfy cosy feel. We've had these for years and the hold up great, wash and dry on a regular cycle. The only problem is a bit of pilling with some of the fleece.
You could use 3 layers of shirt for each square for a heavier thing.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018 08:43:49 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018 08:55:52 AM »

This is the first tshirt quilt I ever made, the squares are very small, no interfacing. The batting is fleece and it's tied for quilting.
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=119774.msg1146856#msg1146856

Here's the post with the fleece backed bed spread, made in 2011!
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=379888.msg4492716#msg4492716
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018 08:58:31 AM »

Ugh! This is so smart! I love it! Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018 09:12:38 AM »

Thanks for the deets!

I think I'm going to try to use up my flannel remnants making a rag quilt with a similar vibe as my scrappy placemats, so am mulling over the options for backing and "batting." Currently I'm thinking 3 layers of flannels, but I have some other projects to do first, so lots of time to mull.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018 09:53:34 AM »

I think those rag quilts are so nice & the placemats you made would be beautiful as a larger piece. Your scrappy binding would work on it too. I can't wait to see what you make!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018 10:13:06 AM »

I think those rag quilts are so nice & the placemats you made would be beautiful as a larger piece. Your scrappy binding would work on it too. I can't wait to see what you make!

Thanks! Maybe I'll even do it this winter! Wink  My scrappy bias tape is pressed as single-fold bias tape rather than as quilt binding, so I'd have to redo that. But I've redone that before!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018 10:32:01 AM »

I'm not a big fan of the usual way to sew binding on, I prefer this (skip to step 2): http://mysweetprairie.blogspot.ca/p/binding-1-2-3.html
It just seems so much more logical and easier to keep straight and even. Less fussiness when making the tape too. And I LOVE the wonder clips instead of pins, I ordered a bunch from aliexpress for pretty cheap so now I've got enough to go round even a larger quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Elf on a Shelf Doll
Time to Feast!
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Pie Wontons

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...