A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 313,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
136 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Goal Book 2018 - even more madness  (Read 299 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Smeddley
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 11, 2018 07:04:44 PM »

Ah, the goal book trend continues!  And, let's be honest, is getting a bit more ridiculous.  Next year I might need to scale back.  Or, you know, finish up a lot of those old, lingering goals.

This year, in place of the what has become traditional pink and blue cover and bright, multi-colored pages, I went with an entirely white, black, and grey theme.  This isn't really a statement on anything (though it matches my wardrobe now), it was that I had a paper pack (I think it is called The Midnight Stack or something?) that was all black, white, and grey and I really liked the patterns.

(Side note, the only reason I've stuck with the pink and blue is because the paint is this weird "paint for plastic" I got years ago that gives the book a very plasticy, durable finish, and over the course of the year this thing takes a beating being schlepped around.)

Behold!

But before we dive into the new book, a look back...

You can see the 4 years of pink and blue (all of which have been posted here, if'n you're curious - 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014), plus the first two years when I was rational and sane and just wrote lists in notebooks.

There's a lot more background in those posts, and I think I even posted a huge list of goals/ideas in one of the comments at one point.  Probably 2014.  Nope, it's this comment in 2015's thread.  There.  Most of my goals haven't changed that much, I know, just rehashing the old ones, but they're good ones!

And can I take a moment to look back at some of 2017's pages?  

First off, all of you Craftsters who decorate your swap packages and notes with stickers?  You rock.  I'm really going to try to be more like you in 2018.  And I save all of them and decorate the inside of my goal book so I see them alllll the time!

And some pages are just rather boring until they are in progress, like the collection pages.  Here are my completed stamp, tea tag, and produce stickers pages!

On to this year... well, the old style of "50 goals of 50 items each" (and in the insane case of 2014, "100 goals of 100 items each", and the more moderate "20 goals of 15 each" in 2015) was a little limiting.  And even though I don't expect to get them all done this year (have you seen the carry-over?!), and even though I use some quite strange units of measurement to get things to fit (this year we have "scruples" of calcium), it just... was limiting.  And then, inspired by the facebook posts I really don't like ("on a scale of 1-10, how cute is this {insert thing here}"), I thought...

100 goals, yes, but only 1 item for item number 1, and 2 items for item number 2, and so on, up to, yes, 100 items for item number 100 (which conveniently happens to be "100 goal list items thought up", so, hey, 100 items down already!).  And I tried to put a lot of the things I would do anyway (walking the dog, miles walked, games, taking my calcium, drinking enough water) up at the top.

This allowed for more fun and creative goals at the lower level, and some oldies but goodies at the upper end.

I really want to knit a pair of socks.  And I don't watch much TV, so I'd like to branch out.  I'm mulling over if Martin Clune's A Man and His Dogs counts, since it was only a few episodes, but made me feel so much better about Doc Martin!

I also have a goal of 4 5Ks this year (the same number I did last year, but ending up faster).  We'll see!  This probably is directly contradictory with the bread (and cookie) baking goals, but whatever!

My friends and I are kind of a drinking club with a crafting problem.  I always watch the "trying to craft while drinking" videos and don't get it.  Maybe I don't drink that much, or I just craft so much, but I don't find it hard at all....  And, as always, collecting fortune cookie fortunes!

I hate pictures of me, and there's no stipulation I have to post these selfies anywhere, but I'm gonna take them.  I need at least one decent "have you seen this woman?" picture in case aliens abduct me.  And scrapbook pages will almost certainly be accomplished with Little Visitor swaps!  

"Take your canvas bags when you go... to the supermarket!"  *warbles off-key*  Another easy one, I really try to always have some on hand, and while the $0.05 savings per bag isn't a lot, it's something over the course of a year!  And my little spider solitaire drawing.

Now, I know it's almost two weeks into the new year already, but I've been sick for a week.  It's "only" a cold, but man, it's kicking my butt.  I got pretty desperate to finish at the end and... because I'm not a great artist... I broke out the lightbox, printed off some pictures, and did a bit of tracing!

I only play one of those regularly, as you might notice from the current levels... I doubt I'll stop playing any time soon, they're a great little time-waster when you're waiting for your takeaway or as you're watching TV at night.

And speaking of being sick, yeah, I think the cold medicine did something, because at one point I thought this was a good idea:

Bonus points if one, you made it this far (I'm sorry I'm so verbose!) and two, if you see instantly why that is so very wrong.

Oh, and I think this year's book tops 200 pages, so I really, really, really need to work on getting things accomplished this year!  Unfortunately, I may have picked a bad year, I'm scheduled for some minor surgery in February-ish and I'll be down for about 6 weeks.  So, we'll see about some of those lofty goals, maybe next year I'll just have a completely retrospective goal book... Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018 07:12:03 PM by Smeddley » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018 09:48:44 AM »

You are so amazing.  Every year I am so inspired, and I hope one year I'll actually do this!  I love your goal ideas, and how you structured the book.  Good luck!  I hope you're feeling better.  And your crossword word search did give me a chuckle. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018 07:12:04 PM »

I continue to be impressed and amazed by what you accomplish with your goal books! Getting the book created is impressive enough, but then to complete as many of your goals as you do- fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Smmarrt

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018 01:43:43 PM »

I promise to help in the search if you are abducted by aliens so get those selfies done soon!

Love your post and this book each year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Junk Journal-along in the Misc. Topics board
Altered Puzzle Pieces coming soon....
Another 4 x 6 Art Swap
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
February 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf
The Birds and The Bees

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...