A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
NOVEMBER NEWS: Did you vote for the best DIY costume yet?
Total Members: 314,825
Currently Running With Scissors:
244 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stash Busting Placemats with Tim Holtz Fabrics  (Read 907 times)
Tags for this thread: tim_holtz , placemat , stashbuster  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 10, 2018 10:36:30 AM »

I have had the same set of placemats on our table, since my husband and I got married 10 years ago.  They were a gift from my mom, whom I later found out, had stolen them from my brother!  Sort of.  Turns out he left some stuff at her house when he moved, and she decided he wouldn't want them anymore, and gave them to me.  I moved halfway across the country with them, only to get an angry call from my brother later.  ...I never bothered to mail them back.   Roll Eyes  But 10 years later, and the wooden beads they are composed of, are starting to fall off, and it's getting annoying.

In thinking about it, I realized how ridiculous it is that I've never bothered to MAKE myself a set, and it was time to rectify that.  Inspired by TheMistressT's  Humongous Stash-busting, Scrappy, Place Mat Project, I dug through my stash, and came up with a layer cake of 12" squares of Tim Holtz fabrics that I found on clearance at Joann's last year.  I sliced and diced them to various widths, mixed up the strips, and sewed them all back together.  Then I cross cut the large panels, laying in perpendicular stripes of black, before backing and quilting them.  The backing was cut 1" larger all the way around, and folded over to become a self binding.  

The backing and batting both came out of stash as well, so it was a good project for using up extra fabric, as well as those narrow bits of batting I always have left over from making quilts.  I'm pretty pleased with how they came out, and kinda can't wait to have friends over for dinner now.  I even have some chunks of the strip panels left over, and I think I might make some mug rugs and coasters to match, since the dining area and living room are one big open room.  Smiley

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018 10:37:44 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

seeuudee

Smile!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018 10:51:11 AM »

Love these, definitely need to add to my 2018 project list. And I love the fabrics - I have to apply so much self control around Tim Holtz stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018 10:57:40 AM »

Lol they are so nice...people will move their place settings and have fun looking at the placemats! ha ha

Nice job...and, how great that we all seem to push each other to make things for ourselves...hmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018 11:04:46 AM »

Those look so great, nicely done. Quick turn around on the inspiration too, I am still only thinking about that project, ha.
Did you mail the old placemats back to your brother? I totally would have. Cue another cross-country angry phone call Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018 11:29:51 AM »

Did you mail the old placemats back to your brother? I totally would have. Cue another cross-country angry phone call Cheesy.

My brother is perpetually angry.  Like, to an absurd degree.  We get along best, by not seeing or speaking to each other much at all.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018 11:31:55 AM »

Yours are so classy and well made! I love how the layout echos the linear layout of the boards on your dining table and bench.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 77
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018 11:38:27 AM »

My brother is perpetually angry.  Like, to an absurd degree.  We get along best, by not seeing or speaking to each other much at all.  Sad

Oh darn, sorry to hear it. I have an angry brother too but he adores my youngest so he behaves when she's around.
Guess you will be enjoying the lovely placemats at dinner with well behaved friends and family. I'm sure each meal will be great fun Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018 12:43:27 PM »

Thanks friends!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018 05:03:54 PM »

MizT's Scrappy Stash Busting placemats must have made an impression on several of us; after seeing them I thought about sewing a set, even though quilting scares the bejesus outta me. They look awesome, Mistress Jennie, and kudos for sewing them up so quickly. Impressive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018 11:57:25 AM »

These turned out great. I like the fabrics and the neutral colors - they'll go with anything!! Add me to the list of crafters feeling inspired by this project Smiley. I really want to get back into quilting and this could be a good way to get started.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Elf on a Shelf Doll
Time to Feast!
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Pie Wontons

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...