A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,480
Currently Running With Scissors:
242 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheted dollies  (Read 1205 times)
Tags for this thread: amigurumi , doll  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 08, 2018 08:53:12 AM »

Kitty and Maya. They are naked as my young lady would like to make their clothes herself.
They are based on two of my daughter's lovely friends. I was thinking of giving one to each but my girl's face just dropped when she heard that and I didn't have the heart to disappoint her so terribly. We moved away so she only gets to see them in summer and misses them both very much.

I started these dolls last year but after making the limbs and a body I'd had all the itty bitty tight crocheting my hands could take and tossed everything into a bedside drawer. This is the ridiculousness I saw every time I opened that drawer, lol. I had to finish them off and get that out of there Cheesy.

The most nerve wracking part of something like this is getting the arms sewn on evenly, those and the eyes. I chose embroidery floss for their peepers. This girl's hair is done as you would attach yarn with a latchhook.

I copied tendstowardschaos' idea for the hair on her Annie ami for this one.

They have wooden dowels inside them to keep the necks stiff and a bag of beanie things in the bums for weigh and sitability.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018 09:25:46 AM »

What a lovely way to play with your long-distance friends! Please share some of the outfits your young lady makes for them!

Also, I opened this expecting to see doilies, so I am going off to clean my glasses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 32
Patraw

I make all of my dough by at yeast leaven o'clock!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018 09:57:54 AM »

Lovely pair of dolls and a nice way to remember friends she doesn't get to see very much anymore.  I agree with TheMistressT that you should update this thread with photos of any clothing that your daughter does make for them!

If you have the time/interest, perhaps you could make two similar identical dolls representing your daughter and give one to each of her friends instead?  That way, she'd have them, and they'd both have her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RedheadWithThread

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018 09:16:37 PM »

Such cute little dolls! I too want to see the clothes your little miss crafts for them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018 05:16:43 AM »

They fit in Groovy Girl clothes so they are dressed very finely for now. She's requested a boy but I have little interest in making another. They honestly take forever & the stitches are so tight, it's hard on the hands. I'm happy she likes them so much anyhow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

I make all of my dough by at yeast leaven o'clock!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018 06:38:08 AM »

I've only got one of the smaller Groovy Girls (Oki, below), but, alas, the clothing on those isn't removable like it is on the larger version(s) your daughter doubtlessly has.  Anyway, that information, and the photo of your hand, holding the unattached limbs, gives me a good sense of the scale of the two dolls that you made.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018 01:59:04 PM »

The dolls are both adorable! What a sweet gift for your daughter, too - having a way to keep her friends close when they're far away.

I love Patraw's idea of making daughter-dolls for her friends, but I totally get that amigurumi are hard on the hands (probably why I've spent years trying to finish a 2.5-foot dragon, lol).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Risotto
@Home This Weekend: Quick Wall Art
Tute Tuesday: Heirloom Cowgirl Pillow

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...