A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 313,873
Currently Running With Scissors:
258 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Warlock Virus Shawl  (Read 1755 times)
Tags for this thread: crochet , shawl , virus_shawl , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2018 05:47:18 AM »

I have a friend who could really use a big ol' hug right about now, but unfortunately she's quite far away.  Since I can't give her that hug in person, I decided to whip up a shawl to hug her for me.  Smiley  

The pattern is the Virus Shawl, that has made its way around the internet in the last few years.  I had initially been afraid to try it, but conquered my fear when I made myself my Prism Virus Shawl last fall.  There is no written pattern for this one, but there is a chart and lots of Youtube videos to get you started.  Once you do the repeat of the same 4 rows a few times, you can coast along on autopilot and ignore the chart.  

The yarn is Lion Brand Mandala, in the colorway Warlock, and was $4.97 a 'cake' at Walmart.  I wish I had gotten a better picture that more accurately shows off the colors in natural light, but the link above gives a pretty good view of the colors.  It's rated a 3 weight, but I'd swear I've used 4's that are the same thickness.  (It's definitely thicker than Lion Brand's Shawl-in-a-Ball, which is listed as a 4.)  It's 100% acrylic, and not as soft as something like Caron Simply Soft, but it was not scratchy on my skin as I worked. I liked working with a slightly thicker (but not chunky) yarn, since the project worked up so fast.  I actually managed to finish it in just 1 week, so I could ship it out before leaving town for Christmas with the family.

More about the yarn: It's a beautiful set of colors, but they don't blend into one another gradually.  They just jump from 1 color to the next.  I had read that in an online review, so I bought 2 skeins, afraid that the jumps would be in lousy places when I was working, and that I might want some room to spare.  I'm *really* glad I did that.  (Especially at $4.97 a piece, they were a good deal.)  I unwound the first part of my first cake, which was a deep purple, because I wanted to start with the creamy tan color.  

I got the first 5 repeats out of the tan and taupe, and could tell the color would jump in the middle of the next row, so I cut out the remaining taupe and moved on to the next color, mustard.  I did the same thing again with the green and teal, and when I was working I could tell that I would run out of the first skeins total length of teal before I would be done as much as I wanted to do, so I jumped over to the second skein (which just happened to start with teal), and continued.  I ended up doing the same with the deep brown, rust, deep purple and light purple, jumping back and forth between skeins to get enough yarn of each color.  

When I was running out of yarn in light purple, I switched back to the creamy tan, and did a row of single crochet around the whole thing, to give it a finished look.  I would have liked to do another whole round of the repeat in tan, but I would have needed another 1-2 cakes to get that much tan, and would have had all the rest leftover.  As it is, I have a quart ziplock bag full of mini balls of the remaining bits of color!  Maybe I can turn them into a hat?   Wink  It measures 30" from the center back, down to the point; 60" across the top; and 42" along each 'side'.  (Thank you for measuring darling!!!)

If you're interested in making your own version of the virus shawl (or a virus blanket, virus poncho, etc), then come on over and check out the Virus Shawl Crochet-Along here on Craftster.  

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018 01:02:06 PM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018 06:04:44 AM »

I know she loved it. How fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018 06:09:04 AM »

What a wonderful hug-from-afar! The shawl is lovely and I think my new fake band name is Warlock Virus although I can't decide if we're Death Metal or a Medieval Flute Troupe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 28
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018 06:20:49 AM »

What a wonderful hug-from-afar! The shawl is lovely and I think my new fake band name is Warlock Virus although I can't decide if we're Death Metal or a Medieval Flute Troupe.

Hmmm.... If it were something like 'Warlock Virus Slayers', it would definitely be Death Metal.  Maybe 'Veneficu Virus' or 'Sorcière Maladie' for the Medieval Flute Troupe?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018 07:47:44 AM by Mistress Jennie - Reason: fixing typo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Chemo sucks

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018 07:41:52 AM »

I love it so much, when I got back from surgery yesterday it was waiting for me, so the timing couldn't have been better. I was snuggled up in it today by the fire and get very loved. Thank you Jennie xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kicking cancers ass. Getting better and I'm starting to craft again. Hit me up if you want a personal swap

www.pinterest.com/edelc
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018 08:12:15 AM »

You are so welcome darling.  I'm glad you got some snuggle time.  Get some rest!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018 08:50:33 AM »

So pretty! It reminds me of bird feathers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018 09:20:36 AM »

Hmmm.... If it were something like 'Warlock Virus Slayers', it would definitely be Death Metal.  Maybe 'Veneficu Virus' or 'Sorcière Maladie' for the Medieval Flute Troupe?

Well, we ARE the Warlock Virus... and there is no immunization or cure. And look out, because we can cause a plague.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 28
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018 09:40:05 AM »

Turned out lovely!  I like the thicker yarn as well...shows off the stitches nicely!

edel--good to know that you already had a chance to get your across the pond hug from Jennie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 48/50
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018 10:14:38 AM »

It's so beautiful and I am very glad you made and sent it as a lovely, comforting hug Smiley.

What size hook did you use? I have a ball of that yarn from pottermouth, it's on my desk with the chart just waiting for me to get on with it already.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Postage Stamp Cards
Crazy Cacti
Meatless Monday: Biryani Masala Spice Mix

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...