A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
220 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Marshmallows  (Read 703 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 27, 2017 09:19:53 PM »

"Money can't buy happiness buy it can buy marshmallows which are kinda the same thing."

I have that as a sign hanging in my kitchen, so you can imagine I do have a thing for marshmallows.  I collect all the shapes and colors, lol.  So, making homemade was just another step.  I've now been making them for years and I love to.  It is a process, but the taste and texture of a homemade marshmallow are so soft and sweet!

Homemade Marshmallows

1/2 cup cold water
3 - 1/4 ounce envelopes unflavored gelatin

2 cups granulated white sugar
1/2 cup cold water
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
3-4 cups powdered sugar, sifted

Spray a 9X13 pan with release spray, then sift a layer of powdered sugar over the whole pan bottom and sides so the marshmallow can release.  Soften gelatin with cup cool water in bowl of stand mixer.

In a medium saucepan put 2 cups sugar, cup water, 1 cup corn syrup, and tsp salt.  Bring to a boil at medium to medium high, stirring.  When boiling, place saucepan lid on top for two minutes to let condensation wash down the sides.  Remove lid after two minutes and clip in candy thermometer.  Allow to reach 240* without stirring this time.

Start mixer on low speed, slowly pour in hot syrup into softened gelatin.  Gradually increase speed to high, beating for 8-12 minutes until bowl is softly warm to the touch and mixture is white, shiny, and thick.

Stop mixer and add 2 tsp vanilla.  Beat again until vanilla is mixed, about 10 seconds.  Spatula out sticky mixture into prepared 9X13 pan.  Try to smooth top as best you can.  Sift a generous amount of powdered sugar over all top.  Let set for 8 hours or over night.

Loosen marshmallow from sides of pan with knife.  Sift powdered sugar over counter or cutting board, then pull marshmallow sheet from pan and place on top.  Using kitchen scissors or knife, cut pieces apart and press edges into more powdered sugar.   Place pieces in a sifter and tap all excess sugar off marshmallow pieces.  Eat as is or drizzle on melted chocolate.  Keep in a covered container.

*make sure your candy thermometer is calibrated for your altitude. 
*try adding a tsp of other flavorings like peppermint, and/or add a little food coloring.

Great wrapped up for gifts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017 05:12:26 AM »

They are delicious though, aren't they? Yours looks so fluffy and light!

I made red swirled snowflake shaped ones one year, to go with some hot chocolate gift baskets I made.  I remember, I gave the whisk attachments to my mixer to Jim and one of his friends to lick, and Walter, his friend, adored them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Sad Bye Bye Craftster - where else can craft addicts unite??
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017 05:46:23 AM »

I can only imagine that these taste infinitely better than the store bought Stay-Puffs
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

lettucecraft.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018 01:38:45 PM »

**Swoon** I love marshmallows! These look amazing. I want to be on your homemade gift list next year Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
Facebook

Please join us at lettucecraft.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...