A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
108 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 50 Projects 2018-Reach for Your Crafting and Creative Goals!  (Read 84840 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
anna.wahnsinn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You cannot give me too much work; to accumulate work has almost become a passion with me: my study is so full of it now, that there is hardly an inch of room for any more. I shall have to throw out a wing soon. (J.K.Jerome)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1210 on: January 09, 2019 02:27:39 PM »

Thanks CLM and kbrison, I'll try some of those methods!

Isn't it amazing what gets put in clothes today? I buy so much second hand, most clothes for myself and my kids, and one recent pair of pants still smells like fabric softener and toilet cleaner. The rough cheap kind, ot some nice organic stuff... Ick. That has been through the wash several times. Others, especially the kiddie clothes, often smell like very perfumey laundry soaps, those get a vinegar soak. Make me cough so much! There are actual laundry scent beads now you can put in the dryer I believe, and they are supposed to make your laundry smell "nice" for 8-12 washes. Then of course some storebought clothes or fabrics manage to smell forever of other, even stranger things I don't even want to know, just try to wash it out very thoroughly. So far I'm the only one at home reacting to these things, and I hope it stays that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna

« Reply #1211 on: January 09, 2019 03:32:13 PM »

That just happened to me, too! But the smells here weren't nearly as stubborn. One particular item had me sneezing violently until I re-washed it, and that one didn't even have a smell, so there's no telling what was on it.

I wish I had some more ideas for the yarn smell, but the only other thing I can think of is a large amount of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), as another odor neutralizer. That might be difficult to fully wash out of the cowl though.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019 03:39:39 PM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged
anna.wahnsinn

You cannot give me too much work; to accumulate work has almost become a passion with me: my study is so full of it now, that there is hardly an inch of room for any more. I shall have to throw out a wing soon. (J.K.Jerome)

« Reply #1212 on: January 09, 2019 03:52:14 PM »

Oh yes, baking soda is another good idea, thank you!

It is really weird, and it has me cringing. I really do not want to wear it as it is. Crocheting it up was kind of fine, but I got a little sneezy, and then when I had pulled it over my had for the picture my nose was bright red and i was sneezing and coughing... So I really need to try things that take out or break down the smelly whatever instead of just putting some nicer scent on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

I'm so squishy!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1213 on: January 11, 2019 05:00:09 AM »

I've heard kitty litter works, baking soda, hanging the item in the sun, washing it with vinegar, there's a lot of suggestions out there. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl
ETSY SHOP: www.etsy.com/shop/LadybuggirlCrafts
Personal & etsy Instagram:  http://instagram.com/ladybggrl/

Too blessed to be stressed! Smiley
cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1214 on: January 11, 2019 06:14:43 AM »

And I tried everyone on some thrift store buys. Still a faint perfume smell. I have some cast off pants from my son I wear in the garden and after over a year, they still have a faint perfume smell. It invades anything else washed or dried with them.

And we breathe those chemicals in from the air, the clothes. When my neighbors do laundry in the summer it stinks up the whole yard. ARRGGG. Those "long-lasting scents" need to be banned! I mean really, if I wanted to douse myself in cheap perfume I could go to the dollar store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #1215 on: January 11, 2019 04:34:32 PM »

I have done a deep cleaning on baby diapers in the past, soak in the hottest machine water with a cup of each washing soda and borax, dissolved (NOT boric acid, they are totally different powders). The soak water will likely turn dark grey, even if you start out with washed fabric. Leave until cooled then run the machine on a normal cycle followed by a second wash with plain water.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #1216 on: January 12, 2019 08:23:42 AM »

You are my scent sensitive (scentsitive!) crew! Ugh. I haven't always been this way, but over the last several years it's gotten steadily worse. I have to steel myself to walk down the laundry soap aisle at the grocery store! It's not even just how freaking strong it all is, but most of those things don't actually even smell nice. They don't smell like anything real, just like a laboratory or chemical plant. Have any of those people even been to a "mountain meadow" or stood in an "ocean breeze"?  Undecided

I have had luck with a soak in plain old Oxy Clean. I have learned the hard way that anything but their basic powder is SUPER INTENSELY scented, so obviously this won't work for everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 36
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Lana

live aloha

« Reply #1217 on: January 12, 2019 08:43:35 AM »

Yeah, I know what you mean MistressT.  I've been getting more sensitive to scents too.  There is a new gal at work whose perfume is killing me.  We have a rule about not wearing strong scents at our work, but I still haven't figured out how to tell her about it in a nice way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #1218 on: January 12, 2019 04:56:16 PM »

Yeah, I know what you mean MistressT.  I've been getting more sensitive to scents too.  There is a new gal at work whose perfume is killing me.  We have a rule about not wearing strong scents at our work, but I still haven't figured out how to tell her about it in a nice way.

I am beginning to think that people who aren't sensitive to scents have a different bar for what is "strong," too.  Undecided ANd of course we each get adjusted to our own stuff and it takes more to smell it ourselves, which makes it harder still. I have received "lightly scented" gifts in the mail that I could smell from the door of the post office where our PO box is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 36
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #1219 on: January 15, 2019 05:58:03 PM »

I need to keep an eye open for the 2019 thread!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset
Crafting For Good

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...