A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 315,252
Currently Running With Scissors:
246 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My new house number...  (Read 1331 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 24, 2017 06:50:42 AM »

I have a boring house number... it is a single digit... no gravitas, nothing fancy... just boring number 5.  Since we finished putting the new windows in, and new siding on, I wanted something a lot nicer than a basic "5" screwed onto the siding, but I did not want to spend a couple of hundred bucks for some of those nice, cast iron ones I was looking at on Wayfair.  Also, I wanted something that was more "me"... that would embody things I love, so this is what we came up with.  Jim and I kind of did it together. 

This is made from a piece of cut off wood from when he was re-framing some of the windows - repurposing things meant for the garbage is something I love.  I also love working on projects with Jim.  He sanded it off and routed the edges.

I then painted the wood in a colour I love... actually the first colour dried way too dark, so I ended up mixing up a couple of colours to make this blue.  I was not happy with it all blue, so painted the routed edge in black... was not happy with that, so repainted it with metallic black.   I bought a nice 6" number that I liked, that could either sit flat or float, and found I did not like it alone on the base.  So I was going to die cut and decoupage on the lettering and some design... then I thought, what it the sun exposure fades the paper.  So I used the die cuts as templates and painted on the flourishes with pearl paint and the letters in the metallic paint.

It took a couple of pours, but when all the painting was done, I covered the front and back of the entire piece, with a couple of THICK layers of resin.  I wanted it to be shiny, smooth, and covered all over so that hopefully it can survive the elements for a bit.  I love working with resin, but there is a reason I prefer small pieces - this was messy and took so much patience for me to leave alone!  I contemplated adding some beaded mosaic, as I do love beads, or some birds or dogs, but left it pretty simple.

Finally, when everything cured, we debated how to place the number - floating, flat, etc.  When we finally decided, Jim put it all together and we screwed it to the front of the house.  We used brass screws and finishing washers - I am hoping they will naturally tarnish and darken.  But I think it looks great against the vanilla colour of the siding, and adds a nice bit of colour to the front of the house. 

Also, the pizza guy can finally stop complaining about not being able to find our house.

More on my blog if anyone is interested... I love how shiny the resin is and how the trees are reflected in it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017 07:21:39 AM »

This project turned out great! It's definitely full of personality, but still easy to read and obviously your house number. I love the contrast between the super shiny, super smooth blue base and the matte, raised 5.  Also, YEY for collaborations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 17
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017 07:45:34 AM »

Ooh, shiny! That looks great and a perfect colour for you too. Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

curiousfae

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017 09:11:11 AM »

This turned out fabulous! Love the flourishes.

Is it me or does the 2nd scrambled street address looks like it could've said Witchcraft Dr?? lol. Can you imagine the block parties in that neighborhood?! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017 11:37:13 PM »

Thank you - yes, I absolutely wanted something in my fav. colour of blue.  I can't wait until we redo the porch out front and I can get some hanging planters too, but I am super happy how it looks now. 

Yes, I was thinking it looks like Witchcraft too - I would have totally loved to live on Witchcraft Drive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017 07:28:08 AM »

Witchcraft drive *snort*! That is the best. Let's just imagine it's so from now on, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SonjaBoo

Release the Craftin'!

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017 04:09:44 AM »

Love this! That blue is one of my favorite colors too. And I love the font you used!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017 09:25:15 AM »

Thank you - it is the Deco style print  from a Sizzix die from Tim Holtz - I bought the number first, thinking we would put it directly on the siding in the old expected boring way, and I felt this font was a good match. 

Yeah - I love the colour - if the curtains are open on the right hand side of the door, you can see that the sign is just a bit darker, and slightly bluer than the colours on the walls of my craft room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2014 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018 10:45:56 AM »

This is lovely! We have a similar problem at our house, so I'm always interested in seeing how others solve it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018 11:22:55 AM »

The boring single digit issue?  I was also thinking about spelling it out - but ultimately the numeral is still needed somewhere.  I really wiffle waffled about shiny silver colour and matte black - but thought black would be higher contrast to shiny resin, and the dark against the blue a better contrast at night, especially as it is under a porch light - high visibility was of great importance - must never have pizza getting cold as pizza guy gets lost (seriously, when my number was down, I remember having a detailed conversation several times via cell with a pizza guy explaining to him as he stood outside someone's house how he was NOT at my house as I was at the door, looking out, and he was not there - he was somehow about 3 blocks away and would not believe me).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2014 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018 11:29:07 AM »

That's a funny story!

I don't have a single digit, but I do have a house number that's nearly impossible to see, especially at night.  We have concrete (or some other stone-like composite) "boulders" that create a border between our front yard and the sidewalk. Our address is "carved" into one of the boulders. So it's down at street level where people don't think to look for it, there's no contrast to make it more visible, it's not illuminated, and if anyone happens to be parked in front of the house, there's no hope of seeing it at all. It was a cool idea in theory but not so awesome in practice. The previous owners didn't think it through as well as they could have....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Let's Spool Up!
Meatless Monday: Spinach and Cheese Gnocchi Bake
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...