A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,783
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you cook your turkey?  (Read 937 times)
Tags for this thread: turkey , recipe , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2017 04:08:49 PM »

I learned this method from a friend, it is delicious, quick, and dead easy.
Pre-heat to oven to 500.
Make a paste of oil, paprika and garlic. Measurements don't really matter, you just want it to be very thick. I usually use a small food processor to get it smooth, you don't have to puree it but if not the chunks of garlic get burned crisp and need to be strained before making gravy (I learned this lesson tonight, ha ha).
Rinse and pat the turkey dry. Place it breast up on a rack in a roasting pan and coat it with the puree, inside and out.

Put it into the 500 degree oven for 30 mins, remove from oven and pour into the bottom of the pan either a can of beer or an equal amount of wine, broth or water. Cover the bird with enough foil that it is not touching the top of the bird but is secured tightly around the edge of the pan.
Put the pan back into the oven and reduce the heat to 350. Bake 10-15 minutes for each pound. I always think this is not going to be enough time and over do it. Always, this year being no exception. I went for 15 minutes/lb when 12 would have been more than enough. A 22lb bird done to falling apart in 3.5 hours in the oven. Sorry the photo is blurry, everybody was in a hurry to eat.

I am recovering from the flu so only had a little nibble but my goodness, tender, juicy and delicious and the gravy made from the drippings was the best I've ever had (we used red wine this time). I did boil the neck and giblets and used some of that broth to thin the gravy so we'd have more. What was in the pan was thick enough on it's own though, and plentiful.

What are your secrets?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017 06:46:04 AM »

I use Box stuffing, and roast it in a Roasting bag.
I discovered the bag the first time I did a turkey. Very useful.
Follow box instructions for stuffing, adding onion and celery; adding chicken broth, and some Poultry Seasoning; stuffing gently now. (I used to firmly cram stuffing into the poor bird. Stuff it, you know.)
I often let anyone else do the gravy, because Im not that good at it.
It turns out moist and yummy. And doesnt require baste bird-sitting

(And, even though I bought the smallest bird I could see, I just yestday finished off the leftovers.  Tongue )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018 01:45:23 PM »

Yours looks fantastic!

I have an electric roaster oven that I cook my turkey in. Since it's a much smaller space it cooks a lot faster and leaves the oven free for other stuff! It doesn't get the golden/crispy skin in the roaster so it always looks a little weird but tastes just fine!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018 01:46:23 PM by lindyv321 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018 10:33:18 PM »

This year, I got the smallest bird available (9lbs) and cooked it in the Slow Cooker. I looked it up online, and they had a recipe for some spices to rub on before slow-cooking. So I did that. I cooked it unstuffed, and browned it in the oven afterwards. My husband had difficulty lifting the Bird from the slow cooker. It fell apart. Because it was only me and him, and neither of us is a much of a fan of stuffing, I didnt bother making any.
(A Spaghetti Squash, Glorified Hashbrowns and gravy rounded out the meal. Oh, and Corn bread.)
Happy Thanksgiving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018 11:32:14 AM »

Ive been curious about cooking a turkey breast in the slow cooker. Was it good??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amzoun95
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019 05:47:10 AM »

I've cut up raw turkeys without a problem. I find it easier that carving a roast turkey because no one is watching and you can manhandle it as you will.

emi calculator gst login ifsc code
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019 05:50:45 AM by amzoun95 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Potholders!
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...