A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 314,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
110 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chocolate Frogs Neighbor Gifts  (Read 882 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , chocolate_frog , diy_gift , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 18, 2017 09:44:33 PM »

In years past I've given my specialty cupcakes as neighbor gifts for Christmas, but I wanted to mix things up this year.  I got some new chocolate molds, so I thought it would be fun to make boxes of lots of flavors of different kinds of chocolates.  I giggled to hubby that I wanted a frog in there too, for our Harry Potter fanatical-ness.  He thought it would be better to just give out a bunch of kinds of chocolate frogs and do it all Potter.  Fun idea.  So, I didn't get to use my other chocolate molds, but I gave my frog mold a good run!

I made peanut butter cup, white chocolate, oreo cookie, rice crispy, dark chocolate, and peppermint toads.  Used a plastic clamshell because I always have to be super fancy, and a shiny bright purple wrap under the frogs for the pop of purple color from the chocolate frog boxes....  And then made 30 boxes worth!

Made cute Honeydukes tags to go on it.  The fun part is trying to guess out of our neighbors who will actually appreciate that they are a Harry Potter reference, and who will think we are weird giving out frogs.

Honeydukes presents Holiday Chocolate Frog Boxes

Now with any of these, they could be any kind of mold--even just an ice cube tray, so don't get caught up on the frogs!  I used a variety of chocolates and melting wafers.  If you use real chocolate you are going to have to temper it, which is quite a process (chop chocolate, measure, heat to a specific temp, lower to a specific temp, add seed chocolate) so to simplify you can use melting wafers.  With melting wafers you just melt and go, it will set up great without being tempered.  I prefer the ghirardelli brand, tastes a lot better than the wax of wiltons, but I like the wilton colors.  So I use red to swirl around the peppermint.  Also, if you have any melted chocolate left over just leave a blob of it on some parchment paper and you can reuse, or eat.

Peppermint Toads

1 package of white chocolate
1/2 or less package red candy melts
1/4 tsp LorAnns peppermint oil (or to taste)

Melt white chocolate and red melts separately in 30 second bursts, stirring each time.  Spoon a stripe/dollop of red over the white and then spoon into your mold, trying to stir the colored mix around as little as possible.  Put in fridge for 20 minutes, or until hardened.

I left these out because they didn't have good swirls.  Doh for not taking a pic of all the good looking swirls!  There's a good one in the last picture of this post though.

*with these I wrapped them in foil candy wrappers because peppermint oil is a strong flavor and could flavor other close candies.  Just wrap the foil around it, making sure all candy is covered.  Then take a clean towel and rub over the top to get the details to show.

Peanut Butter Cups

1/3 cup Peanut Butter
1 TBSP Butter, softened
tsp salt (if needed to taste) I omitted
1/2 cup powdered sugar (or more or less to desired thickness of the pb middle)
1 10 oz package chocolate melting wafers

Melt wafers in microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring well in between each time.  When melted pour a spoonful of chocolate into each mold and drag the chocolate up all sides.  Give the mold a few slight taps on the counter to rid any air bubbles.  Put that in the fridge.  Mix all the peanut butter, butter, salt, and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl until combined.  When mix is combined, grab mold from the fridge and press a spoonful of peanut mixture into the center of each mold.  Be careful to keep the mix below the top of the mold.  When all mold cavities are filled spoon extra melted chocolate on top, again slightly tapping the mold.  Put back in the fridge until hardened.
*grumbles at the upside down pic* hope you get the idea.  Spoon it up the sides.... or down the sides? lol

Oreo, I just broke a few cookies into the white chocolate, trying to leave bigger pieces.  And then spooned into the mold. 

Rice Crispy, I used one cup of crispies per pound of chocolate and I think it was a little too much, but still good.  I'd probably lessen that amount next time.  I wrapped these with gold only because I wanted them to look different than the dark chocolate.
White chocolate was just melted and molded
Dark chocolate was melted and molded.

The peppermint swirl and a blob of peppermint to get reheated or eaten later.  A few extra oreos and a PB.

Sorry for the photo overload!  Sometimes it's nice to have lots of pics when you want to try for yourself.
Thanks for looking  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017 05:03:12 AM »

These look terrific! My family made chocolates for xmas every year so I can tell you your instructions are excellent. My man asked "Chocolate frogs?! Like real frogs, dipped in chocolate? Can you eat those?" Cheesy something is a little dippy over here for certain Cheesy.

One thing we did that you may also do but haven't mentioned is to make"bark" with a mixture of the left over chocolate. The colour can look a little swampy but of course the flavouris just fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017 05:55:54 AM »

Thanks for the great tutorial! And for showing the Ghirradelli melts! I have a few molds that I have used for other things (and several shaped ice cube trays), but have been put off by the Wilton melts. Maybe now I'll give chocolates a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 35
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017 07:38:32 AM »

They look great patty_o!  I love the idea of a chocolate frog 'holiday selection' box.  Shocked 

But I have to ask, how many neighbors do you have woman?!?!?  Cheesy  We live in a friendly development of 200 houses, and there's about 100 in our section, 15 of those on our street/cul-de-sac.  And out of all of them, there's only 1 family I know well enough to make treats for!  (Granted, they are great friends and get gifts throughout the year.)  Besides them, there's only 1 other family we know the name of, and that's the people who live directly across the street.  And that's because they have the SAME last name as us.  (We refer to them as 'the Bad Ingrams', because clearly we're the Good Ingrams.)  Amazingly enough, we've never had our mail get crossed with theirs. 

Is it because you clearly are the coolest house in the neighborhood with your Hogwarts inspired movie room, that everyone wants to be your friend?  Or did they hear about how you make delicious treats, and all come over to introduce themselves?   Wink Tongue Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017 10:02:47 AM »

Shocked Those are terrific! And so much work! And so many!

Won't you be my neighbor?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017 04:39:24 PM »

Great Hopping Pot, that's a lot of frogs! They look awesome, and I'm sure your neighbors were elated with all the chocolates. This Rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018 01:34:14 PM »

These rock! What lucky neighbors! I love all the different flavors you made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018 08:25:58 AM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured ProjectSmiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
May 23, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Candy Wrapper Bracelet
Earth-Friendly Gift Wraps

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...