A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 313,873
Currently Running With Scissors:
244 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrap fiber books.  (Read 1337 times)
Tags for this thread: scrap , slow_stitch , slow_cloth , fabric_bead , fabric_book , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 12, 2017 02:52:11 PM »

Last year I made a few projects with scraps and shared how-to tutorials. There were these fabric pieces created with disolvable stabilizer:
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=450182.msg5408708#msg5408708
And these beads:
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=451156.msg5422944#msg5422944

For a few personal swaps I thought to make some small books with both of those elements. They have ribbon page markers sewn to the top of the spine, are filled with Caron multimedia paper, and hand bound with dental floss (unflavoured, not everybody loves the scent of mint, ha ha). The beads were attached for decorative purposes but then I discovered that a pencil fit inside them perfectly and gave a little more strength and stability to the spine.

Book #1
For Pottermouth:

It's lined with some hand printed pink martini fabric from EdelC.

Book #2
This one was for loves2experiment (thank you for the use of your photos). This was one of the first scrap pieces I made and I embellished it to be a prayer flag but that never seemed to be the right finished product to me. It inspired this idea and I like it much better as a book cover.

It's lined with a scrappy quilt square sent to me by one of my favourite all time crafters, Suereal whose presence I miss here so very much. I'm happy to have these little bits of her to include in things here and there Smiley.

Book #3
For EdelC:

Lined with mushroom fabric.

Book #4
For calluna (thanks for the use of your photos), shown with a rainbow prayer flag I sent at the same time:

The top and bottom beads on this one were made by JoyfulClover!

Each one is the culmination of dozens of hours of experimenting and stitching and salvaging even the smallest bits of fabric and fiber. I am so pleased to have created a useful item out of what was essentially garbage, it thrills me to no end to have made beauty instead of landfill.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017 11:03:43 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
steiconi
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017 04:01:14 PM »

wow, those are the prettiest garbage I've ever seen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017 06:16:13 PM »

I love them both, crafty! So beautiful!

\m/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a set of 80s Halloween cardstock decorations - skeleton,  witch, and ghost - with minor imperfections. PM me if you would like them!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017 04:44:09 AM »

Thanks gals Smiley. Joy there are 3 books there, 2 of them are similar mishmashes of colour though. I numbered them for easier telling-apartery Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017 05:03:47 AM »

What a wonderful use for diverse scrapage!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 28
JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017 05:34:13 AM »

Thanks gals Smiley. Joy there are 3 books there, 2 of them are similar mishmashes of colour though. I numbered them for easier telling-apartery Wink.

THERE ARE! *sad panda* I was scrolling too fast!  But I adore the first blue/green. Welm, and let's be honest, the 3rd on is superb in what appears to be navy? And burgundy? Oy with the poodles, already!*  So so good!

*GGirls reference = good stuff

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a set of 80s Halloween cardstock decorations - skeleton,  witch, and ghost - with minor imperfections. PM me if you would like them!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017 05:57:47 AM »

U so funny Cheesy.

It's brown, the velvet bookmark ribbon on that one is my favourite.
I was making the pieces in every colour. I didn't have enough scraps for yellow & purple but I do now, they are for a rainbow prayer flag arrangement for my man, he really likes these weird crafts I do. I have 3 enormous patchwork corduroy cushions he credits with our getting together. He says the first time he was in my house he saw them and thought to himself, "Oh yeah, this is the woman." He is a keeper Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017 06:20:43 AM »

You know we want to see the Romance Cushions of Fate, right?

Also, corduroy! *swoon*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017 06:38:58 AM »

They are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/craftylittlemonkey/28450032874/in/album-72157678367027324/

They live on our bed, filled with chip foam so they are very squishy and easy to fluff back up. I totally love them.

"Romance Cushions of Fate" *snort!* Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017 06:39:45 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017 07:58:43 AM »

Oh lort! I dig these! The majority of my downstairs is [unplanned] blue and orange.  I just found myself slowly buying and making in these colors.

And they're cord. I totally see it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Postage Stamp Cards
Crazy Cacti
Meatless Monday: Biryani Masala Spice Mix

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...