A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 314,371
Currently Running With Scissors:
188 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Commemorative Joong Social Keepsake  (Read 704 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

excelsior
« on: December 02, 2017 06:19:42 PM »

My siblings and I got together before Thanksgiving to make joong--a traditional Chinese food made usually during the Dragon Boat Festival in June. I think they are too hearty for spring/summer so prefer to make it in fall/winter. It is also referred to as zhong zi in Mandarin. Think of it as a Chinese tamale--rice and other ingredients wrapped in a leaf, in this case, bamboo leaves.

After our "wrap" social, I wanted to make a popup card but could not figure a way to make one with the joong's tetrahedral/pyramidal shape popping out of a card. So I just opted for making a keepsake of the actual shape, and in this case I used old hanging file folders, the perfect color!

Here is the real deal, cooking in a pot:

And ingredients, you can see it is pretty involved!

Several Asian cultures have their own versions of these, with different shapes and ways of wrapping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017 03:10:11 AM »

Nice!  LOVE that you made a paper keepsake!

It's lovely to see that you and your family do it together.  My mom and her sisters still make it for us, but I have to admit, we appreciate it, but neither my sisters, myself, or my cousins ever showed an interest in the making thereof... though we are enthusiastic recipients and consumers!  Mom and aunties prefer to make theirs for Chinese New Years (or earlier to distribute to kids and grandkids over the New Year) and Harvest Moon - and to reduce the cholesterol/calories, she has seriously slivered down the pork belly, chinese sausage, and duck egg (sad face....)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

curiousfae

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017 07:51:14 AM »

your paper keepsake is perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

excelsior
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017 01:28:23 PM »

Thanks, curiousfae, I thought the color of the file folder matched so well.  The shape was easy to think up.  You might be familiar with the shape as sometimes individual creamers or sour cream come in this packaging.

Onyxnox, you should definitely try to make these once with your generation.  Or at the least, video your mother and aunts making them for posterity.  We figure we only eat these once a year (although I went home with 20 of them!  in total we all made 150+) so we are not too worried about the calories and cholesterol!

I am still thinking of how to make a popup card, maybe next year I will come up with something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017 10:09:31 AM »

What a wonderful keepsake!

I love your idea of filming relatives making a dish. I wish I had done that with some of mine who have passed on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amberandjamie
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017 11:01:12 AM »

Those look great!! Love the little hang tag as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...