A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 314,215
Currently Running With Scissors:
158 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wool Dryer Balls  (Read 3033 times)
Tags for this thread: dryer_ball , tutorial , project_of_the_week  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 02, 2017 08:34:03 AM »

I was trying to come up with ideas for my holiday gift buffet that would be fairly simple to make.  I decided on wool dryer balls.  These weren't exactly fast, but they didn't take much mental energy. Smiley

Dryer balls help shorten drying time, and can replace chemical fabric softeners.

I found a great deal (from knitpicks) on wool yarn that felted really well.  I made 40 in total, and they were packaged as 10 sets of 4.

I was going to package them in boxes with clear lids, but I decided in the end to go with drawstring bags.  I thought the bags would be more user friendly if people wanted to store them between laundry days.

Instructions:
--Roll a skein of wool yarn into a ball.  It needs to be 100% wool to work properly.  Mine shrunk about 1/3 in size when felted.

--Lose end strand in the ball.  I used a yarn needle on some, and just tucked it in under a few layers with my fingers on others.

--Place balls into the legs of a nylon/pantyhose, knotting the nylon between each ball.  I bought $1 pantyhose at Dollar Tree and just cut the legs off.  I saw some tutorials suggest tying off with yarn/ribbon/twine between the balls, but I found that the pantyhose kind of stuck to the felted balls, so there was really no salvaging them after the fact.

--Put the balls (which are now knotted inside of the nylons) into the washing machine.  Complete one spin/rinse cycle on hot.  Soap is optional.  I tried it with and without and didn't notice a difference.

--Put the balls (still inside of the nylons) into the dryer, and complete two dry cycles on the highest temperature.

--Check your balls.  If they seem felted enough, you can stop here.  I ended up doing one more cycle in the washer, and three more in the dryer to get them how I wanted them.

--Cut the balls out of the nylons, and you have your felted wool dryer balls.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017 09:28:06 AM by LovelyMiss » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017 08:54:40 AM »

They look great! and they are not inexpensive to buy so they will make a very nice gift.
I have a set I made many years ago that are still working fine but look a little worn by now. I washed them with dish soap when felting them though, I read that is supposed to help get them stuck firm. Did you find it worked better without the soap?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017 09:06:13 AM »

I don't know what a gift buffet is, but I'd surely pull up a chair at that table!

The balls are a great gift! And one to use all year long! I like your personal comments about not being able to salvage the nylons after you finish, as well as knowing you both tucked and sewed the ends. Items of note are always the best part!

\m/

P.S. 'Check your balls' - teehee!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a set of 80s Halloween cardstock decorations - skeleton,  witch, and ghost - with minor imperfections. PM me if you would like them!
LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017 09:27:43 AM »

They look great! and they are not inexpensive to buy so they will make a very nice gift.
I have a set I made many years ago that are still working fine but look a little worn by now. I washed them with dish soap when felting them though, I read that is supposed to help get them stuck firm. Did you find it worked better without the soap?

Thanks!  I did one batch with soap and two without and I didn't notice a difference, so I just figured I wouldn't waste the soap.  I going to change it to "soap optional."  Grin

I don't know what a gift buffet is, but I'd surely pull up a chair at that table!

The balls are a great gift! And one to use all year long! I like your personal comments about not being able to salvage the nylons after you finish, as well as knowing you both tucked and sewed the ends. Items of note are always the best part!

\m/

Thank you!  Instead of me selecting gifts to make for everyone individually, I just make a bunch of things and set them out so people can pick and choose which things they like best/will be useful to them.  Hence the "buffet."  Cheesy  Takes the pressure off me trying to guess what people would like, and no one has to fake a "oooh....I love it."  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017 09:37:20 AM »

\m/

Thank you!  Instead of me selecting gifts to make for everyone individually, I just make a bunch of things and set them out so people can pick and choose which things they like best/will be useful to them.  Hence the "buffet."  Cheesy  Takes the pressure off me trying to guess what people would like, and no one has to fake a "oooh....I love it."  Cheesy

Ohhhhhhh. That is really smart!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a set of 80s Halloween cardstock decorations - skeleton,  witch, and ghost - with minor imperfections. PM me if you would like them!
pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017 07:56:54 PM »

A holiday gift buffet is a brilliant idea and I'm coveting your dryer balls. Totally Rocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monty
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017 05:55:47 AM »

Totally savings this to try. Great tutorial and they look so interesting. Less waste as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017 09:14:28 AM »

nifty idea!

I've never heard of dryer balls.  would you get the same effect if you tossed an old wool sweater or socks into the dryer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017 09:23:36 AM »

nifty idea!

I've never heard of dryer balls.  would you get the same effect if you tossed an old wool sweater or socks into the dryer?

While any wool item will wick moisture into the core of the fibers thereby potentially decreasing the drying time, the action of the wool balls breaks up clumps of laundry which helps dry & also discharges static. If you've ever washed down pillows the advice is to put them in the dryer with tennis balls or a pair of clean sneakers, otherwise they take ages in to fluff up & dry.
If you are like me & highly sensitve to chemical fragrance ingredients (even other people's clothes set my sinuses off, darn you all to heck Tide Angry), you can still scent your laundry by adding a couple drops of essential oil to the balls. I like lavender but mint is surprisingly fresh & clean.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017 09:27:56 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017 01:50:53 PM »

These are the prettiest balls I've ever seen! Cheesy  Thank you so much for the tutorial.  I've had them on my list of things to make, but haven't ventured there yet.  You make it sound totally doable!

What else is on your buffet this year?  I LOVE that idea, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fancy Solar Lighting
Tute Tuesday: Fabric Paper
Craftster Rocks!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...