A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is super awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 314,354
Currently Running With Scissors:
189 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Level Up Your Cooking Skills!  (Read 5165 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2018 08:06:36 AM »

Make turmeric paste! We are still working through the giant batch we made, it stores well in jars in the freezer. The man will stir a spoonful into tea (any tea, black, chai, etc, he LOVES that stuff!), soup, curries, stir fries, etc. The taste is quite strong and earthy so I do not like it in the golden milk he favours but it is an excellent addition to cooked dishes.

The tandoori masala is not as delicious as I'd hoped so I am amending it to suit my tastes. I may add some of the turmeric paste and paprika for colour but not chilis, the kids can't handle any sort of spice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2018 08:20:29 AM »

I bookmarked your post on the paste...just have to pick up a few more items...I should go at lunch today...I am so bored with the same old things to eat..and yet, oddly humbled and happy that we have so many choices in our country where this complaint would be welcomed in so many other countries...( I need to shut up and just stop being lazy!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2018 10:19:09 AM »

I tried 2 tandoori masala blends, a mash up of recipes from all over the place. One is milder and we'll be having it tonight, the other is more intensely flavoured and will have to wait for another dinner. I'm excited to try them both, the fragrance is amazing. Here's the post with step-by step instructions and lots of photos. I sure wish you could smell it through the computer, it's intense!
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=454552.0

Sambar is next on the list though I think I'll have to take care with that one, the mister doesn't do well with legumes and it includes some pulses.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018 02:01:54 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
kbrison

Genealogists trace history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2018 01:44:08 PM »

I usually don't care much for most Indian food but your meal looks delicious and probably tasted even better. I may have to give the masala mixes a chance. I do love naan and some chicken curries but it's been years since I've made either. There aren't many Indian restaurants in Tulsa or probably in our entire state, so it's not like we can dine on Indian cuisine unless I make it myself.

Tator tots or hash brown patties, they're still yummy! Love, love, love potatoes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

http://pinterest.com/ancientofdays/
72/150 in 2018
134/200 in 2017
RedheadWithThread

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2018 01:57:29 PM »

Now I have to find recipes to use those spice blends. And make the spice blends, too.

Love, love, love potatoes!

So do I! My aunt asked what I would be making for Easter dinner and when I told her I was making oven-roasted potatoes, she said "Of course you're making potatoes" and I could practically hear the Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2018 04:27:43 PM »

Having the left over biryani rice today I think it's a good idea to forgo the whole spices right in the pot or at least tie them into a little cheese cloth ball. I bit into a coriander pod, YECH! Soapy  Tongue.

I made butter chicken with the tandoori masala, turned out ok.
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=454596.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2018 06:20:58 PM »

We made beef jerky! I confess I've had a food dehydrator, a 9 tray Excalibur for about 10 years, and never used it before now. The man wanted to preserve some food for camping trips this summer and we just took the meat out of the "oven" where it's been drying out for hours now. It's good! Weird but good. Protein cardboard, ha ha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RedheadWithThread

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2018 07:24:22 PM »

Yeah homemade jerky is usually a little drier/stiffer than the store bought stuff. There's a meat market (butcher shop) near me that sells jerky they make themselves. It's the best jerky ever, even if it is a bit dry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2018 03:27:50 PM »

Next on my list is homemade sriracha sauce. Doesn't that look like fun?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over
Meatless Monday: Summer Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...