A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 313,580
Currently Running With Scissors:
167 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harry Potter Advent Calendar  (Read 1220 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , advent , advent_calendar , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Ezri_B
« on: December 01, 2017 08:25:39 AM »

Every year we do an "Advent" calendar/countdown calendar with activities & little treats to bond us as a family and to be positive influences on the world. Well, this year 2 of my children moved out. I figured it was the end of the tradition, but the boys all insisted that we find a way... enter this year's Harry Potter Advent calendar. I made up 3 swags (2 pictured) of mismatched socks. The activities are a bit simpler than in earlier years, but with everyone so busy I wanted it to be doable.

Here is what we're doing;

1. Let's start off our advent fun by trying to be the perfect house-elf. Do something good for someone without them finding out.
2. Professor Slughorn has been brewing again. Here's some Felix Felicis, know you'll have good luck all day long. (Forgot a picture of this, but it is ginger ale with some shimmer dust swirled in, inside of a glass bottle with a cork stopper)
3. Time to get your creative juices flowing. Let's make up new Christmas carols. Work together, work alone, up to you. In the next week text the new song to the rest of the family. Extra points if you send a video of you singing it.
4. Congratulations! Just like Harry you've caught the golden snitch! It feels pretty good, doesn't it? Spread some of that joy by making a special effort to smile & compliment others today.

5. Today we will dip into the Pensieve. Text your favorite memory from 2017 to the family.
6. To celebrate Rubeus Hagrid's birthday, enjoy festive garden gnome shaped candies.

7. Defense against the dark arts- what would your Patronus shape be? Text a pic, drawing, or words to the family.
8. Dementors have been spotted in the area. Hand out this chocolate to help those who have succumbed to the sadness and irritability.

9. In honor of the sacrifices Dobby has made it is now traditional to exchange socks. Wear these socks & remember to selflessly help others for good as Dobby did.

10. We're practicing for the next Triwizard Tournament with this team scavenger hunt. Babes vs. Geezers. Find the items on the list and snap pictures. Text the pics to the family. You're working with your partner. First team to complete the list wins.
11. Zonko's Joke shop is always looking for some new material especially around Christmas. Text your favorite Holiday joke to the family. Here's one to get you started;
What does Santa suffer from when he gets stuck in the chimney?
Claus-trophobia
12. It's Charlie Weasley' s birthday today. Here's some dragon jerky to celebrate.

13. Remember how happy Ron was when he collected all of that Leprechaun gold? Over the next day or so place this dollar somewhere for someone to find it.

14. "Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" -Albus Dumbledore
Write a card to someone telling them how important they are to you. Text the family a pic of you at the mailbox when you send it.

15. Christmas cookie bake-off- over the next few days bake some cookies/treats to share at our Christmas on the 22nd. Traditional, crazy, creative, your choice. Prize for the favorite.
16. Let's help Arthur Weasley answer his question "what is the purpose of a rubber duck?" Take this little friend with you today and snap pictures as you and he/she contemplate the purpose of a rubber duck. Don't forget to name your friend.

17. Snowmen are magical creatures, but as Hagrid knows the snow isn't always cooperative. Make a small clay snowman to add to the family's collection.

18. Molly Weasley gathered the family by the radio to listen to her favorite singer, Celestina Warbeck. What is your favorite Holiday song? Find it on YouTube and send a link to the family.
19. Tis the season for mistletoe, kissing, & spreading cheer. Just beware of Nargles!

20. The sweet cart left some Bertie Botts beans for you. Let us know the best and worse flavor you got. You may even want to share some.

21. St Mungos has released a new book of home remedies. Here is a simple Pepper-up recipe to keep your spirits up. Prepare some hot chocolate as directed. Stir with magic swirled cane 7 times clockwise, more for hard cases.

22. "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only my remembers to turn on a light" -Albus Dumbledore
On this longest of nights let us gather together and light our candles & remember to be the light for those who can't.

23. Divination class- text us your predictions for 2018.
24. If you could apparate anywhere for Christmas where would you go? Send a picture to the rest of the family.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest- http://pinterest.com/ezrib/

Looking to increase my 1.5 in scraps for a rainbow project. If interested in swapping let me know!
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017 08:28:49 AM »

What a fun idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017 08:33:26 AM »

omg so clever.  We do a countdown with those basic miniature Christmas stockings.  Why oh why did I never think to use Dobby Socks and tie in HP?!?  Love this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nodsu

Nobody can be uncheered with a balloon

Nodsu = Piglet from Pooh

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017 08:53:32 AM »

This is an awesome idea and execution! Lucky kiddos!
Inspired for next year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

https://www.instagram.com/nodsukas/
Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
― Pablo Picasso
steiconi
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017 09:24:22 AM »

That's adorable.  will you adopt me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017 11:29:54 AM »

So cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017 01:44:07 PM »

How wonderful! I love your twist on the traditional advent calendar; this one is brilliant. Thank you for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elliot_anne
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017 05:18:53 PM »

This is awesome! Love!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ezri_B
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017 03:34:37 AM »

Thanks so much everyone, it was fun to make
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest- http://pinterest.com/ezrib/

Looking to increase my 1.5 in scraps for a rainbow project. If interested in swapping let me know!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

rocking the GI Jane look

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017 06:32:28 AM »

this is just amazing and wonderful and so inspiring
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps,  I print a lot of random fabric, usually with no purpose in mind.  let me know if you want any of it.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
February 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf
The Birds and The Bees

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...