A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and encouraged! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 315,248
Currently Running With Scissors:
148 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: recycled sweater quilt with some instructions  (Read 2881 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt , tutorial , upcycle , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

With even more hair!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 20, 2017 05:43:10 AM »

this is really a simple quilt to make, but if you put a lot of hand sewing, it can take time.

Cut squares, remember the fabric is stretchy and it will fight back.
 I like to keep pockets and other interesting features of the sweaters. I use about a 12 inch square.

Sew them together, in whatever colour pattern you like, just try to feed the fabric into the machine, as it will stretch a lot!

Abandon the notion of doing any machine quilting, unless you are a complete masochist. Lay the fabric on a fleecy blanket big enough to leave 1-2 inches on all sides. If you are clever (or very lucky) you will make your top so that it fits the underneath blanket, so you don't have any rough edges.

Using a big needle and some yarn, tie the sweater top to the bottom at the corners of each squares. ie literally poke the yarn through from the top, to the bottom, make a stitch about 1/2 inch and come back to the top, tie the two ends in a granny knot and cut off. I leave about 1/2-1 inch tails. This secures the whole lot

In the picture below you can see that I tie the quilt and have done a little bit of decorative running stitching here and there,

these are two different quilts, in the white bordered quilt. I tied at intervals and then hemmed the whole border to the face of the quilt.

This picture shows a pocket left into a white square. I added a patch because there was a hole in that sweater, plus the tied and hemmed border.

it is easy to do, and makes a super warm, heavy blanket, with the fleecy backing and the sweater top, there is no need for interlining

EDIT more detailed instructions,

1-wash your sweaters. I only do this before I sew up as I don't know how they will behave after. I like sweaters that feel nice, so I have used wool, cashmere wool mix, cotton and I think some acrylic. It makes things a little more difficult, but the weight of each sweater was vastly different, from cotton cables, to fine acrylics. It doesn't matter much what you use, honestly!

2-cut squares, I do about a 12 inch square, and try and keep pockets, ribs, raglan seams, cables, anything interesting, I've even kept on a button or two.

3-MACHINE sew all the squares together (I am not insane lol) Try as much as possible to not stretch when sewing and try and use a smallish stitch as it keeps all the yarn from unravelling, however it will stretch a bit, and curl and generally not want to behave. Remember who is boss

Do the next step in front of the TV as it does take a bit of time.

4-use a large fleece blanket. I have a notion you call it minky in the USA? or is that a finer fleece? It is the polyester soft throw/blankets/yardage that you get everywhere.

5-I don't use any interlining/batting. Get some help for this part. Lay your fleece down, good side to the floor. Center as much as possible your quilt top on the fleece, good side up. It should come around each side. I was really lucky with the white one, in that it was the perfect size, the white blanket already had a finished edge, which I didn't cut, so I was able to wrap it around and tie it off (and then a line of invisible hemming to hold it all down. Remember your top is stretchy, so it will distort, feel free to push/stretch to make it fit.

6-Start tie quilting here is a good instruction http://quiltingintherain.com/2010/11/how-to-tie-quilt.html Although I tie each stitch as I make it, . I always tie the intersections of the squares, this is where it is heaviest and I think where it is most likely to move and be strained. But looking at that link, you can also tie the middles. I work from the centre out, to each side, this keeps it from moving much.

7-Lastly I folded over the excess fleece to bring it to the front. I clipped off some of the corner fabric at this stage as it was all a bit bulky and just stitched under the raw edges at the corners. I did some ties all along the border, to hold it in place, but then realised it looked pretty. But the border was still a little too loose for my liking, so at this stage I could take the whole thing off the floor and onto my lap, where I used regular sewing thread to sew down the border to the quilt top all along.

8- You can do some more hand sewing to quilt, I have added another picture above, that shows some of the hearts and spirals I did on the quilt that I gave away. Also the edge of the first one was just a blanket stitch, I much prefer the second one, with the white edging as above, it is neater.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017 01:13:09 AM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love a personal swap with you. Make me something for my wedding in june (pink and white) and I'll make yourself something lovely

www.pinterest.com/edelc
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017 06:02:30 AM »

I love your sweater quilts!  You are indeed brave to take them on as they are stretchy and heavy!

I especially love them because you use up what you have...so many people simply toss things away these days. I bet you also remember each sweater as you gave it new life in your blanket!

Love job with the hand stitching...thanks for a mini tutorial on it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017 08:44:38 AM »

Beautiful, just gorgeous. I've only ever made one sweater quilt and it was beast, the fluff OMG, everywhere! Maybe one day I'll try it again with some of that stash of fulled old wool sweaters I'm hoarding, lol. Love your idea of using pockets and other interesting bits, that is brilliant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017 04:52:09 PM »

Oh Edel.

I saw the one you made for a swap and was highly impressed - that's a HUGE undertaking! And you gifted it! Wow!

But, I really love the one which is less uniform. Which just so happens to have the heart patch. Really really lovely.

I have some questions, though. It seems as if you quit machine sewing them together, right? And you comment hand sewing is a time commitment. So did you end up hand sewing them together anyway? Then lay down on the base and hand tack each corner. And finally turn the edges?

Okay, maybe no questions, just confirming the order and execution! I'm really jazzed about this. Did you only use wool sweaters? Or did you go banana cakes and use ANY sweater material? Do you know about how many sweaters you salvaged? And do you think a particular material for the base is better than another?

And then it looks like the turned edges are tacked as well. Whoooooo. Yeah. I just love this idea. All the stories it has. And all the potential.

You're a rockstar!
\m/

THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

With even more hair!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017 01:06:51 AM »

Oh Edel.

I saw the one you made for a swap and was highly impressed - that's a HUGE undertaking! And you gifted it! Wow!

But, I really love the one which is less uniform. Which just so happens to have the heart patch. Really really lovely.

I have some questions, though. It seems as if you quit machine sewing them together, right? And you comment hand sewing is a time commitment. So did you end up hand sewing them together anyway? Then lay down on the base and hand tack each corner. And finally turn the edges?

Okay, maybe no questions, just confirming the order and execution! I'm really jazzed about this. Did you only use wool sweaters? Or did you go banana cakes and use ANY sweater material? Do you know about how many sweaters you salvaged? And do you think a particular material for the base is better than another?

And then it looks like the turned edges are tacked as well. Whoooooo. Yeah. I just love this idea. All the stories it has. And all the potential.

You're a rockstar!
\m/

You are very sweet, Ok order of operations
!-wash your sweaters. I only do this before I sew up as I don't know how they will behave after. I like sweaters that feel nice, so I have used wool, cashmere wool mix, cotton and I think some acrylic. It makes things a little more difficult, but the weight of each sweater was vastly different, from cotton cables, to fine acrylics. It doesn't matter much what you use, honestly!

-cut squares, I do about a 12 inch square, and try and keep pockets, ribs, raglan seams, cables, anything interesting, I've even kept on a button or two.

-MACHINE sew all the squares together (I am not insane lol) Try as much as possible to not stretch when sewing and try and use a smallish stitch as it keeps all the yarn from unravelling, however it will stretch a bit, and curl and generally not want to behave. Remember who is boss

Do the next step in front of the TV as it does take a bit of time.

-use a large fleece blanket. I have a notion you call it minky in the USA? or is that a finer fleece? It is the polyester soft throw/blankets/yardage that you get everywhere.

-I don't use any interlining/batting. Get some help for this part. Lay your fleece down, good side to the floor. Center as much as possible your quilt top on the fleece, It should come around each side. I was really lucky with the white one, in that it was the perfect size, the white blanket already had a finished edge, which I didn't cut, so I was able to wrap it around and tie it off (and then a line of invisible hemming to hold it all down. Remember your top is stretchy, so it will distort, feel free to push/stretch to make it fit.

-Start tie quilting here is a good instruction http://quiltingintherain.com/2010/11/how-to-tie-quilt.html Although I tie each stitch as I make it, . I always tie the intersections of the squares, this is where it is heaviest and I think where it is most likely to move and be strained. But looking at that link, you can also tie the middles. I work from the centre out, to each side, this keeps it from moving much.

-Lastly I folded over the excess fleece to bring it to the front. I clipped off some of the corner fabric at this stage as it was all a bit bulky and just stitched under the raw edges at the corners. I did some ties all along the border, to hold it in place, but then realised it looked pretty. But the border was still a little too loose for my liking, so at this stage I could take the whole thing off the floor and onto my lap, where I used regular sewing thread to sew down the border to the quilt top all along.

- You can do some more hand sewing to quilt, I have added another picture above, that shows some of the hearts and spirals I did on the quilt that I gave away. Also the edge of the first one was just a blanket stitch, I much prefer the second one, with the white edging as above, it is neater.

Hope this helps, shoot me any more questions that you might have

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love a personal swap with you. Make me something for my wedding in june (pink and white) and I'll make yourself something lovely

www.pinterest.com/edelc
JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017 03:22:56 AM »

So, first of all, THANK YOU for the details! It's all the little learned things you shared that make it great!

I completely get how you did it and dug through my donation bag last night! (good place to start)

I really love the new photos - the random stitching is just perfection!

Finally 'remember who is boss' = peals of laughter! That's some good stuff right there! And glad to know you are not crazy and used your machine!

I can't double-rock you, but I would if I could! Instead I'll throw you the rockstar fists!

\m/  \m/

THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

With even more hair!!!

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017 05:25:11 AM »

So, first of all, THANK YOU for the details!

You are so welcome honey. Can't wait to see what you come up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.pinterest.com/edelc
JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017 06:21:41 AM »

So, first of all, THANK YOU for the details!

You are so welcome honey. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

I've recently become very obsessed with soft wide wale corduroy material. So now I'm considering and plotting!

I'm very excited. I just love how you made happy stitching on some of the squares. The randomness is calling my name!

Thank you so much, Edel!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017 06:26:52 AM »

I love it too. I had plans for my fulled sweater stash but I'll probably have lots left over and this is very inspiring. I washed all the sweaters a few times so they are pretty stiff and not great for many crafts. A blanket would be amazing though and my mister would love love love it. He is so weird, the itchier the wool, the more he likes it. Masochist! LOL Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017 07:27:06 AM »

I love it too. I had plans for my fulled sweater stash but I'll probably have lots left over and this is very inspiring. I washed all the sweaters a few times so they are pretty stiff and not great for many crafts. A blanket would be amazing though and my mister would love love love it. He is so weird, the itchier the wool, the more he likes it. Masochist! LOL Cheesy.

That's just straight crazy-talk, crafty! It might as well be craft yarn, then! Itchy is bad! It's just so...ITCHY!

But I am thinking of some deep colors. Like evergreen, burgandy, navy. Deep purple. Hummmm. And then some happy stitching colors to brighten it. Of course it all depends on what I find thrifting! It will guide the way!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Spinach and Cheese Gnocchi Bake
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
February 13, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...