A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: The December Craft Challenge has been announced. Read all of the details here and get to crafting!
Total Members: 314,953
Currently Running With Scissors:
168 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Special Purpose Hot Pads That You Can't See  (Read 1262 times)
Tags for this thread: camo , camouflage , hot_pad , oven_mitt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 29, 2017 03:18:05 PM »

Last year I got The ManFlesh a dutch oven for xmas that he loves and uses all the time. Our existing hot pads work fine for moving it around, but he likes to tuck them into the handles when the hot pot is on the table which is awkward. I have lots of decent sized scraps of the ironing board cover material that I use to make my Hot Dishes! hot pads, so I decided to make him a set just for his dutch oven.

I used all stash for this, but stash he hasn't  necessarily seen before. That's right, my stash pre-dates my decade+ relationship! Anyway, I decided to use words to machine quilt them so I wouldn't have to explain what they were for... they're going in his xmas stocking. You can tell I haven't done that before! It's wonky and all, but that's fine since they'll be in a drawer most of the time and even as is will hold the interior cotton batting in place. Wink

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017 07:21:15 PM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 83
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017 04:19:06 PM »

What?! I need to see these in action! I have a great lil' dutchie and when I started dating the mister he raved to his mama about it so she bought him same, that means I now have TWO of them, lol. (He cooks too so it's really *we* that have 2.) Also a cast Lodge we bought together as a set but the enameled version are preferred. So 3 dutchies. We could use hotpads for them but I can't imagine what you mean by the tucking...

I think the stitching is just fine btw, it looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2014 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017 04:34:43 PM »

These are great! Wonderful stocking stuffer.

PS can you have your hubby talk to my hubby? Mine loves to cook, too, but it's like pulling teeth to actually get him to do it.  Grin Which is super sad because I hate cooking and he's reeeeeeeeeally good at it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017 01:03:56 AM »

They look great!

(Oh..., wait..., that means I can see them.)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017 01:04:27 AM by BeaG » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017 07:25:27 AM »

THANKS ALL!

What?! I need to see these in action! I have a great lil' dutchie and when I started dating the mister he raved to his mama about it so she bought him same, that means I now have TWO of them, lol. (He cooks too so it's really *we* that have 2.) Also a cast Lodge we bought together as a set but the enameled version are preferred. So 3 dutchies. We could use hotpads for them but I can't imagine what you mean by the tucking...

I will try to get a photo to show you. I couldn't yesterday because 1) he was home and 2) he was using the dutch oven for fish stew!
These are great! Wonderful stocking stuffer.

PS can you have your hubby talk to my hubby? Mine loves to cook, too, but it's like pulling teeth to actually get him to do it.  Grin Which is super sad because I hate cooking and he's reeeeeeeeeally good at it!!

We have a deal: I cook during the week, because he goes to his office job and he cooks on the weekends, because I HATE cooking and he loves it and has time on the weekends! Since his writing has taken off he's even more into his weekend cooking! I think it's a fun creative outlet that has immediate results and doesn't require others to find it financially viable for it to be a "success"! Smiley
They look great!

(Oh..., wait..., that means I can see them.)

Thank you! Up close it's not great... you can only see them because the writing is in safety orange thread and because I didn't take the picture in the forest! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

TheMistressT

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017 10:52:05 AM »

So this is what I mean about tucking our usual hot pads into the handles on the dutch oven when it's set on the table during dinner. One on each side and they just kind of get in the way or alllllmost in the way so the dining experience in general is less comfortable. The new ones can slide much further into the handle so they're not flopping out into the eating and serving space on the table is what I am hoping!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017 02:00:51 PM »

Aren't we lucky we can sew?

Wow...now that is customized to fit your needs and lifestyle!  Very clever! 

My husband loves to cook and is also great at it...I am banned from the kitchen most of the time...only because I do stupid things like put pumpkin seeds in to roast and forget about them until four hours later....

Maybe I can come up with some personalized things for him to use in the kitchen...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017 02:26:44 PM »

Cool, I am totally going to make some of those. How perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
TheMistressT

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017 05:43:00 AM »

Aren't we lucky we can sew?

Wow...now that is customized to fit your needs and lifestyle!  Very clever! 

My husband loves to cook and is also great at it...I am banned from the kitchen most of the time...only because I do stupid things like put pumpkin seeds in to roast and forget about them until four hours later....

Maybe I can come up with some personalized things for him to use in the kitchen...

I am so, so happy I learned to sew as a youngster and that I really like doing it now!

The ManFlesh has very limited hobbies: writing, reading, cooking, "stomping around in the woods." This makes gift giving difficult, especially handmade. I'm just lucky that he isn't a nudist or I'd be really stuck!
Cool, I am totally going to make some of those. How perfect.

YEY!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017 06:29:33 AM »

My hubby is a drummer...he always needs pouches, bags, etc. He pretty much designs them and I have to figure out how to make the items he wants. I made him a huge denim duffle bag one year to carry his stands...it is still going strong.  This year, I found some cool drum fabric so I am making him curtains for his studio.

I love the fun stuff you have made for your/his kitchen!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2018: Dino Cups
@Home This Weekend: Remote Caddy
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2018: Rhumba Earrings

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...