A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
191 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Photo & Other Backdrop Thingamabobber  (Read 1409 times)
Tags for this thread: the_trials_of_solomon_parker , fan_art , backdrop , copper , canvas  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 17, 2017 01:25:23 PM »

I wanted to make something a little more official and special looking for The ManFlesh's book readings and signings and I wanted it to be easy to store and drag around to events. So I went with that Pinterest mainstay, the PVC pip backdrop stand.

For his latest book, The Trials of Solomon Parker, I painted a mine headframe using copper paint mixed with fabric medium onto pre-washed duck canvas. The stand is only 3' wide, although I did have enough pipe to also have a 4' version in the future, so I cut and hemmed the canvas to width, then sewed rod pockets in the top and bottom for installing and weighting it respectively.

I used an image from the internet and my opaque projector to draw the outline of the headframe, then hand-painted it.

I am stoked to have this stand in my back of tricks for future books as well as possibly parties and such!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 84
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017 01:51:20 PM »

I love the stand!  And it's not too cumbersome where it will take up too much space between book signings/readings
You can swap out the drape for almost any backdrop-holidays, birthday parties, photo booths, the possibilities are endless!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017 02:00:20 PM »

I love the stand!  And it's not too cumbersome where it will take up too much space between book signings/readings
You can swap out the drape for almost any backdrop-holidays, birthday parties, photo booths, the possibilities are endless!

Thanks! There are maybe dozens of different blog posts all calling this something like "10 minute, $10 photo backdrop,"  but the materials were closer to $25 and it took longer than 10 minutes just to clean the writing off the pipes! And because it comes apart, I can change the dimensions to suit the use in addition to swapping out the drape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

BeaG
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017 02:00:49 PM »

Looks very pretty and practical!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017 02:41:30 PM »

Wow! That turned out amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2014 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017 04:20:54 PM »

This is fantastic! Perfect for this novel, too!

*PS- I read it, it's just as fantastically done as his first novel! This guy seriously has a way with description that is unparalleled. At least, in my experience....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017 05:37:34 PM »

This looks so cool! I've been waiting for my pre-ordered copy of the book to show up but I think my amaz.. cc expired and it fell off the map, drr. I am going to reorder it now so I can read the goodness, yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever the question, the answer is always CRAFTING! It's the fix for all the sicks. Makes me feel better every time.

and remember, ALWAYS USE THE GOOD BEADS, YARN, FABRIC!

Love you all, thank you so much for everything. XO
TheMistressT

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017 08:18:10 AM »

Thanks everyone!
This is fantastic! Perfect for this novel, too!

*PS- I read it, it's just as fantastically done as his first novel! This guy seriously has a way with description that is unparalleled. At least, in my experience....

He really does have a knack for description, especially w/o going too far with it [I am looking at you, George RR Martin, and your pages of sigils and banners on battlefields]. He asked me to thank you for your review and ratings, too! So, THANK YOU! And yes, the language is like Dead Sea-level salty in this one!

This looks so cool! I've been waiting for my pre-ordered copy of the book to show up but I think my amaz.. cc expired and it fell off the map, drr. I am going to reorder it now so I can read the goodness, yay!

Thanks! And thanks for going to extra mile to get a copy!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2014 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017 08:22:13 AM »

Dead Sea - level!  Ha! Love it!

And he's very welcome.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017 10:44:42 AM »

This is such a fantastic idea! You did a great job on the painting (I never would have attempted it), and it's nice that you'll be able to disassemble the stand for storage. And, you've got me thinking about how I can use it to make a "photo-booth" backdrop for our school dances. It's too late for me to do something for the next one (Thursday), but I'm keeping it in mind for the future!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...