A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,765
Currently Running With Scissors:
232 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: low-impact crafting  (Read 1256 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
steiconi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Opa!

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2017 11:58:29 AM »

I'm doing a major move, then will be travelling for a while.  
I am getting rid of nearly everything I own, including my ginormous stash of craft supplies.

But I'm going to need to be able to do some kind of art/craft--bit it would have to take up little space and be lightweight.  Like, if everything needed would fit in a briefcase, that could work.

any suggestions?  links and tutorials would be great!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017 12:14:22 PM by steiconi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Measure once, cuss twice.
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017 03:26:07 AM »

When I need something portable, especially for travel, I go with a small and portable crochet or knitting project - such as knitting a scarf, shawl, ornaments, or something that can be done in small bits, like squares or strips for a blanket.  Something with a repetitive pattern also makes it easier so as not to need the pattern out all the time.  Usually if the project is in parts or uses lightweight yarns, I can fit it into a make up bag.

If you have good light and can be still for awhile, then I would go with something that can take a lot of detail work - like bead weaving jewelry or ornaments - I have fit what I needed for project into a 4x6 photo box (bead mat, thread conditioner, beads, scissors, thread), or embroidery/needlework (again, can fit into a make up bag).  Bead embroidery.

Then there is just good ol' art - drawing/watercolours/zentangles/journaling - so many portable set ups for that - small pads, portable water pots, combination water brushes, small pans or water soluble markers/pencils, etc.

You probably can set up the basics for all of the above in one case, depending on the projects you want to do.

Things I don't do as much of, or just plain not do/or suck at but may work for you - there is also Origami/Kirigami - paper, patterns - maybe a knife and cutting pad.  Tatting - needle/shuttle, small item weaving.  Rug hooking, knotting - micromacrame.

If you are interested in any of these, I can hook you up with some ideas/links
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017 03:32:00 AM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017 05:13:48 AM »

This virus shawl crochet-along is perfect! https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=453179.0
If it's not your style it would make a very impressive gift for the holidays Smiley.

Cross stitch is time consuming and takes few supplies. Again, impressive results.

I often take along pre-made Teesha Moore style pillows and embellish them on the road.
Little felt projects are good too like ornaments or twinchies. If all the pieces are pre-cut it's simply assembly and embroidery that needs doing.

I made a picnic basket full of crocheted food this year, that only took a small bag of supplies and kept me busy in the car for months!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
Onyxnox

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017 06:42:49 AM »

I forgot - Viking knit!  It is not that hard to do once you get it down, but if you like or want to do wire work, it looks great.  Fine wire, a push pin, a dowel, and wire cutters.  For finishing, a draw plate and pliers - a draw plate can be drilled out of a flat piece of scrap wood.

Needle felting too, either flat pieces onto fabric/felt, or 3-D pieces.

Punch needle embroidery.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017 06:43:53 AM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi

Opa!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017 11:38:25 AM »

Those are some great ideas! 

I looked at the virus shawl; I think I made about a dozen of those back in the '70s.  I discovered that if you're not paying attention, you can wind up with an octopus shawl--instead of a triangle, it has many points hanging down.

The Viking knit looks interesting, never tried that.

watercolors and drawing--I've always said I don't do flat art, but I've been having fun painting on ceramics, so maybe I need to let go of that belief.

Paper crafts would definitely work, but I'm drawn to making useful items*, so always wind up thinking, "whatever will I do with this?"
*well, mostly.  I make dollhouse miniatures, they really aren't at all useful.  But maybe that's why I'm moving it all out of my life.

Beadwork and stitching--nice ideas, but maybe I should have mentioned the arthritis in my hands makes fine pinch movements inadvisable...

Thanks for the ideas, this is starting to look like it will work! 
And keep ideas coming in!
thank you, danke, merci, mahalo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi

Opa!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019 09:38:05 AM »

I unexpectedly took up embroidery, which has worked out well. 
Lightweight, portable, unbreakable, can be done anywhere, and produces such useful items...because I turned most of the pieces into greeting cards and ornaments.

Once I settled into a new home, the embroidery lost its appeal.  But now I'm on a road trip and am enjoying the needlework again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019 02:51:46 PM »

Glad to hear it - ever consider crazy quilting?  I have considered it too - embroidery, reusing materials, and making something useful ultimately - a trifecta of awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Autumn Wreath
September 11, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: 30 Minute Skirt

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...