A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 320,894
Currently Running With Scissors:
149 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Catnip Christmas Wreath for my local shelter's fundraiser  (Read 1016 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

blupaisan
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I work for Cats.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2017 11:08:40 AM »

Last year I traveled an hour away to harvest some seriously potent wild catnip for this project. I established it in my own garden so I could allow it to really thrive and grow huge.  I picked ten plants of it last week for this project.

The fabric for the mice is from a skirt I made as a teenager. It was stashed in my daughter Acadian Driftwood's collection and she let me steal it back. I got out my lastest sewing machine (gift from LadybugsAndBumblebees!!!) and made these mice to serve as ornaments. They have fabric tails so no yarn for kitties to swallow. No eyes to pop off and swallow either. If they are opened by claws, there is no loose stuffing to swallow either, as they are filled with large cut pieces of ladies stockings.

Here is a picture of the back with an arrow pointing to the ring which I describe below....

All of the wreath is cat friendly. There is nothing to cause danger. The initial branches of nip are secured with rings, the kind found in a three ring school binder. after that, it was just weaving further stems into the bigger ones.

I purchased a 99 cent tie at Goodwill and upcycled it into the bow.

Here are just a few of the wonderful creatures who are going to benefit from the money this will bring in...  From youngest to oldest-----

Fifi, one of four black kittens. She has been the most frightened so I work with her. She hisses and struggles when picked up and that is no way to get adopted! She has  come a long way and now she purrs.

Chaplin, a holy terror at the tender age of 9 weeks. He is obsessed with drawing as much blood from the human skin as he can. He is a real challenge. He did not come in with other kittens or a mama and I do not know his history but I have been working hard to get a behaviour change in him!

Lyngarra. I teamed up in April with a rescue group from NYC and drove down to a farm where there were many many cats breeding and dying. There were many more than they expected and they ran out of options for foster care so unexpectly, I came home with two pregnant kitties to foster. Lyngarra was one of them. Can you believe she gave birth to 5 kittens when she was only 9 months old herself?Huh?

This is Marlin. His ear is purposely cut, it is called tipping, because he is feral. An untamed and probably untamable cat. When you come across an ear tipped cat in your travels, you will know it is probably not a good idea to approach it, it may bite. The ear tip is an obvious mark to show anyone concerned about it populating the neighborhood that it has BEEN FIXED and there is no need for you to try to trap it and fix it.   been there, done that.   Marlin bit me a couple of months ago but I refused to be swayed. He was just scared. He is always in this cubby so that tends to make him feel cornered.That is hard but ya gotta let them be where they wanna be.   I have worked with him intensely and he now trusts me enough to massage his belly, the most vulnerable place for a cat. I do love  this handsome dude so much!

lastly, here is Zamboni, who has been homeless at the shelter FOR A YEAR!  He is a serious lovebucket and I adore visiting him but i do wish him gone! As in adopted!

thanks for looking and feel free to copy my idea as an awesome gift for the cat lover in your life!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are the Redcoats. And they are ours! Or tonight Becky Thatcher sleeps a widow!
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017 12:33:11 PM »

Awesome way to help your shelter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017 03:00:19 PM »

awwww, how sweet!
My cats would have that wreath down in about 30 seconds flat.  I have to grow catnip in hanging planters so it has a chance to survive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017 04:04:15 PM »

What a great idea and executed so well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 37
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017 04:22:51 AM »

Very nice!  I bet the kitties love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blupaisan

I work for Cats.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017 05:58:15 AM »

Very nice!  I bet the kitties love it!

the kitties went nuts as soon as it entered the building!!  Potent stuff. But they are not the recipients of the actual nip. It is getting raffled off until Christmas so whoever wins it will deal with drunken cats in their own home, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are the Redcoats. And they are ours! Or tonight Becky Thatcher sleeps a widow!
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2014 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017 08:45:35 AM »

What an awesome idea for a fundraiser item! Well done, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Acadian Driftwood

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017 06:34:06 PM »

Wow, it's beautiful! I can just picture the winner hanging it on their front door with pride, and waking up to every neighborhood cat on their step the next morning. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017 08:56:34 AM »

This has been such an awesome challenge!  Thank you so much for crafting and entering. Kiss

The time has come to vote for the winning project!  To vote, visit the challenge info thread here.  Feel free to invite friends, coworkers and even the mailman to vote, but only one vote per person/account.  Good luck! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017 01:36:22 PM »

Great idea to help the kitties!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Vegetarian Breakfast Taco
@Home This Weekend: Sun Catcher
Tute Tuesday: Passport Wallet

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...