A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
275 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Small Things Matter stuffies  (Read 2779 times)
Tags for this thread: stuffie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Lana

live aloha

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 25, 2017 03:20:37 AM »

Hi all!

First off this is a long winded post intended to take you along on our journey.  Please feel free to skip to the pics if this gets boring for you.  Smiley  I wanted to share about Small Things Matter (Lana's crafting club) and the stuffies we've been making.    

Recently Lana and I decided to expand Small Things Matter from making buttons as a fundraiser for Difference Makers to a crafting club that would try to give kids of all ages a chance to give back to others in need, specifically children in hospitals and shelters.  We wanted to make something fun, inexpensive (since we need to donate these in batches of 75-100), and meaningful. Thus our stuffies project was born.  I designed a simple pattern that could be imagined into a wide variety of creatures and then Lana and I set out to sew them up!

Lana sewing and our first stuffie Mr. Hiro!  The last time we sewed she was 2 and controlling the pedal while I manuvered the fabric. Scary.  

To get the word out about STM we partnered with Difference Makers at KIDfest...not that hard to do since Lana is co-president of DM this year.  LOL.  We provided them with 350 stuffie blanks and gathered up safety eyes and felt for them to decorate them with.  The stuffies are being donated to the NIH Children's Inn and area hospitals.  Many of you know that the NIH Children's Inn has always had a special place in our hearts and Lana has been able to get Difference Makers to support them by crafting origami for their Thoughtful Treasures Program that provides a small gift to these brave young people facing rare and often incurable diseases each day of their stay at the Inn.

While we were doing this I happened to see on a neighborhood listserv that someone was looking for a charity experience for their child's 10th Bday.  This was something we were planning to do in the future so we decided to take the plunge.  The crazy part is that it was the day before KIDfest, but hey I'm a Craftster.  Smiley

Our Crafting for Charity Party (got parents permission to post pics). I was really impressed with the Bday girl.  Not only did she have this crafting party, but in lieu of gifts she asked for donations to educate girls in India.  Lana told them about Thoughtful Treasures Program and led the crafting.  The kids had a blast making stuffies and really did a beautiful job.  They were very proud of their creations and were happy to sign tags to attach to the stuffies so that the kids at the NIH would know who it was from.  

KIDfest the following day!  10,000 people attend this Maker fest.  221 stuffies were made in 5 frenzied hours.  Seriously it was crazy, but fun!  The kids were sooo creative in what they were able to do with just these simple materials! What really impressed me was how all of them were so eager to help the sick children by making these for them.  It was truly heartwarming!  Also notice that some kids thought outside the box and crafted on them upside down.  These stuffies still need to be filled with fiber fill and sewn up so we have a bit of work ahead of us.  Smiley

If anyone is interested in our pattern you can downloaded here:  www.smallthingsmatter.org
We are hoping to engage kids of all ages to use their talents to help others.  They can either donate  to us so that we can get enough to share them with a hospital or shelter or they can craft on their own to do the same or leave it as a Random Acts of Kindness and we will feature them on our website and add them to our members list.  If any Craftsters or Craftster kids would like to donate a decorated stuffie for us that would be fabulous.  

Lana and I are having fun coming up with our next community project and hoping to find more groups that want to craft with us!  Smiley

Thanks!!!!!
Rox
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017 03:28:13 AM by underthemountain » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017 04:01:59 AM »

That is amazing Rox and Lana!  Cheesy Beautiful story and awesome monsters coming out of this gigantic project
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017 04:25:23 AM »

This is the best thing I have ever seen! You guys ROCK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever the question, the answer is always CRAFTING! It's the fix for all the sicks. Makes me feel better every time.

and remember, ALWAYS USE THE GOOD BEADS, YARN, FABRIC!

Love you all, thank you so much for everything. XO
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017 06:17:28 AM »

Totally great story!  Not only engaging kids in crafting, but in doing something to help others...

They did a great job on those stuffies!  So creative and fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

GryffinMaus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017 07:06:40 AM »

I love, love, LOVE this!! You guys are amazing.

Way to go Lana leading the b-day party crafting, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeaG
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017 07:58:38 AM »

Such a wonderful project!
I love the big pile of (almost) finished stuffies.
And I can only imagine the joy they will bring for the children in hospital.
Way to go, Lana and friends!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017 10:02:29 AM »

Love love love love love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Lana

live aloha

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017 11:47:41 AM »

Thank you guys!  Lana really loves little kids and had lots of fun with them.  I really have to credit you all for being great crafty aunties and role models for her.  Smiley

We're having so much fun looking at their creations up close.  Hopefully we'll get the first batch completed in a few weeks.  Smiley

We are planning to host a kids crafting table at the DM Arts and Crafts fair that I'm putting together for December.  We just have to figure out something that is fun for everyone.  Maybe a kindness project for the birds?  If you guys have any ideas please share!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whistley
Adventure is out there!

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017 12:05:51 PM »

What an amazing kid and a wonderful project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
Cwafting. Cwafting is wot bwings us togevvah today.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017 12:15:37 PM »

Pinecones smeared with PB and seeds are always a hit for kids to make. Sort of messy, though...

http://www.mykidsadventures.com/pinecone-bird-feeder/

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017 12:16:33 PM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...