A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 315,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
112 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet Shawl-Along (Formerly the Virus Shawl-Along)  (Read 40095 times)
Tags for this thread: crochet , virus_shawl , craftalong , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

curiousfae
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #750 on: January 31, 2019 11:11:10 AM »

Sheepblue, what a beautiful gift! I bet she can appreciate the extra warmth a shawl will give right about now.  Wink

Mistress Jennie That Spill shawl is so intriguing. I really want to try it. Any tips on yarns to use ie. color ways, weight, amounts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #751 on: January 31, 2019 12:29:45 PM »

Mistress Jennie That Spill shawl is so intriguing. I really want to try it. Any tips on yarns to use ie. color ways, weight, amounts?

I would definitely recommend something lightweight, with a long gradient.  You want to see the changes in color, but you don't want them to happen too fast and end up with a pattern that looks like camo.  I had bought the yarn a while back, when it was on sale for half price.  I bought two, because all my other shawls with that yarn needed two skeins, and I just assumed that would be plenty since I had at least a bit left over from each of those.  I should have checked through other people's projects with the same pattern on Ravelry!  It looks like everyone else who used the same yarn needed 3 skeins.  I'm on row 73, and I've started the second skein.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to get a third.  Also the Shawl in a Ball recommends a 6.0mm hook, but I've always found that a bit big for the yarn.  It definitely makes for a very lacy finished piece.  (I think that's how they get away with claiming a single skein will make a whole shawl.)  On this one I'm actually using a 4.5mm hook, and it's working great.  It's small enough to keep the stitches solid, but still big enough that the piece is working up well, and not taking forever to get through a single row, and the resulting 'fabric' is still lightweight and drapey.  The pattern itself recommends 900 yards of lace-weight yarn and a 3.25mm hook, so I'm curious to see how big my finished piece will be in comparison to hers. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

« Reply #752 on: January 31, 2019 06:55:04 PM »

That looks great! Maybe not with the shirt she's wearing but yes with her colouring Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Lana

live aloha

« Reply #753 on: January 31, 2019 08:13:43 PM »

Beautiful shawls!!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Difference Makers and Small Things Matter are having their annual auction on April 12 and welcome your donations. Smiley  https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=457320.msg5516/
curiousfae

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

« Reply #754 on: February 01, 2019 11:30:10 AM »

I would definitely recommend something lightweight, with a long gradient.   

I am curious, did you have to do much working between your skeins to get your colors to work out that way?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #755 on: February 01, 2019 11:45:48 AM »

I would definitely recommend something lightweight, with a long gradient.   

I am curious, did you have to do much working between your skeins to get your colors to work out that way?

On this project, I haven't done any jumping back and forth between skeins.  I looked closely at the two that I had, and decided what order I wanted to use them in.  One started in magenta and ended in white, and the other began in white, so that's how I used them, so that the whites would match up with one another and I could just keep going.  I think I cut out maybe 8-10 yards, where the end of my first ball was starting to grey a bit, whereas the next skein started bright white, just so I wouldn't have a very short 'muddy' patch where they joined.  No idea what will happen when I start to run out and need to go buy a third skein.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #756 on: February 20, 2019 06:44:59 AM »

Back to working on my Spill Shawl.  I'm up to row 81.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

« Reply #757 on: February 20, 2019 06:59:29 AM »

That's looking great! Beautiful colours Jennie.

I've gotten as far as printing out this Crunching Leaves pattern & putting it along with the yarn & hook into my bag but that's it so far. My wrist is still hurting. I feel like I need to accept a 20 minute daily maximum time allotment for crochet. It's hard to wrap my head around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kbrison

Genealogists trace history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #758 on: February 20, 2019 02:30:41 PM »

I think your shawl is turning out gorgeously!

CLM, I have the same wrist issues, not from crocheting but from using my rotary cutter for some sewing projects. I've been using a wrist wrap though and it's helped. No matter how we're straining our bodies, putting a time limit on repetitive use of the afflicted part is a good idea. Sure slows down the crafting though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

http://pinterest.com/ancientofdays/
19/175 in 2019
153/150 in 2018
134/200 in 2017
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #759 on: February 21, 2019 08:00:28 AM »

And I'm out of the shawl yarn.  Sad  I got partway into row 85 yesterday, with 20 more to go.  Since it was pouring rain and I couldn't really leave the pup alone, I started making a tote bag out of some stash yarn.  Hope to go pick up some more today so I can keep going and finish the shawl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...