A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Want to join a Craft swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 314,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
246 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Prism Virus Shawl - my first attempt at the pattern  (Read 2735 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , virus_shawl  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2017 11:23:00 AM »

Finally got around to giving the virus shawl pattern a try!  I know I'm late to the party, but what are you going to do?  I started by printing off the chart, then pulling up a video on how to crochet it on youtube. I used the video to help me learn to read the chart, and by the time the video was done, I was able to work solely off the chart with the repeating pattern.  I've always been afraid of working from charts, so this was a big help.  JonnaMartinez on youtube also has some great videos on making the shawl, along with variations for adding a decorative border, or making a virus poncho or blanket.  I liked how clear her videos were, so if you're thinking of trying this, take a chance to check her channel out.

The shawl was made with 1.5-1.7 skeins of Lion Brand Shawl in a Ball yarn, in the colorway Prism.  It is a worsted weight yarn, but I found it veery thin for worsted.  I used a 4.5mm hook.  It is hard to see in the pictures, but it has an electric blue metallic strand running through it. I bought the yarn months ago, specifically for this project, but had put it aside to finish some other projects that came up, including a pussyhat and a baby blanket, both made with Caron Simply Soft Party, which also has a metallic strand.  In working on those I became very frustrated, because the metallic strand frequently broke, and was finicky to work with.  So when I finally got around to this shawl, I was afraid the metallic strand would behave the same way.  I was pleasantly surprised!  It behaved much better, and I had no breaks in it at all, over the course of the entire project.  I would highly recommend the yarn.

I think I might make another one, since this one was so much fun.  And just for reference, this last photo isn't distorted.  The shawl is laid across my king size bed, so you can see just how long it is.  I made it to cuddle up in while working in my studio, which can get cold, so I wanted it plenty big!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018 07:43:42 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017 11:38:50 AM »

It turned out fantastic!! Your bravery in trying new things within the craft is inspiring!

This remains my favorite shawl pattern - I learned from a youtube video too! Once you get the basic pattern down, it gets easier and more instinctual  Cheesy

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017 11:39:17 AM by sheepBlue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017 11:55:38 AM »

It turned out lovely. Thanks for the links, I'll have to try it. Charts baffle me too but I get the feeling they are very easy to read, easier than abbreviations even, once you know how.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017 01:11:20 PM »

That is fantastic!  I made one too BUT my stitches didn't POP like yours do, you realllllllly have to pull it apart in order to see the variations.  Maybe I should've used a larger hook so my stitches weren't so on top of each other

THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017 01:13:30 PM »

Hmm, good point. What size yarn and hooks did you gals use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017 01:17:15 PM »

I don't recall hook size, but I used sock yarn and thinner to get good stitch definition. Also, just personal preference, but I used solid colors and it really helps to make the pattern pop I think.

Here's my first one.

Also, blocking is super important to getting the pattern to show too. It looked a lot less defined before doing that.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017 01:17:51 PM by sheepBlue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017 01:28:59 PM »

Hmm, good point. What size yarn and hooks did you gals use?
I used some cheap-o sock yarn that was on clearance from Hobby Lobby and a G size hook.  Maybe I need to reblock with starch this time.  Good point also about the solids working better, or maybe a variegated with a longer striping pattern.  Not against making another one to test out these theories...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017 01:35:48 PM »

Oh boy, I am lousy with wool blend sock yarn that I'm afraid I will never learn to make socks with. My mister printed out the chart for me at his office today, maybe I can get this started soon. Exciting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017 02:14:43 PM »

Wow! This is pretty! And, I'm later to the party than you are, because this is the first I've heard of the pattern (that I can recall, at least). The yarn is beautiful, so I'll have to look for it the next time I'm near yarn in the store. I like it in the solid and the multicolor, so I might have to make more than one!

Thanks for sharing the chart and the video!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017 02:18:03 PM »

I don't know anything about any Virus Shawl, but I know this is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 73
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: The Un-Meatball
@Home This Weekend: Plastic Bottle Lanterns
October 17, 2018 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...