A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, it's time to show off your TREE!  Show off your flocking and garland with us this year.
Total Members: 319,835
Currently Running With Scissors:
230 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Little Orphan Annie  (Read 618 times)
Tags for this thread: doll , little_orphan_annie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2017 07:47:01 AM »

My toddler is absolutely enthralled with the classic version of Annie. The songs, the dancing...he loves it all.

Naturally, I had to make him an Annie of his own to cuddle. He was thrilled!  Cheesy

I used the Free spirit pattern for the doll and improvised the hair and dress. Doll is wool stuffed with wool; dress, bloomers, and hair are cotton. I did a bit of soft sculpting of the face and needle-felted her eyes and mouth.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017 08:43:11 AM »

She's wonderful! We have borrowed as many versions of Annie as we can get from the library lately, our kids think she is the best. The dress you made is fantastic. What stitches did you use for her hair? It looks great! Clever to needle felt her features, very unique.

I've been working on some doll bodies lately myself, just making it up as I go. So far so good but like this doll (the original and yours) crochet stitches seem to twist so the face does not stay aligned with the body. I haven't minded very much on my dolls and yours looks as sweet as can be so I'm not going to bother trying to correct it. I was just happy to observe and learn something I didn't know about and see it in other people's work too so I'm aware it's a thing I can expect in future. I crocheted a bobble for the first doll's nose that can't be changed and I've given her a bum so she will look dramatically off to the side, ha. I will add the second doll's nose at the end, live and learn, right?
How clever to use a spool to stabilize the head, I was thinking about how to get a dowel in there that wouldn't move around or poke out. I will save empty spools just for this now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017 08:50:32 AM »

she's perfect!  What a lucky lil guy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017 12:03:14 PM »

She's wonderful! We have borrowed as many versions of Annie as we can get from the library lately, our kids think she is the best. The dress you made is fantastic. What stitches did you use for her hair? It looks great! Clever to needle felt her features, very unique.

I've been working on some doll bodies lately myself, just making it up as I go. So far so good but like this doll (the original and yours) crochet stitches seem to twist so the face does not stay aligned with the body. I haven't minded very much on my dolls and yours looks as sweet as can be so I'm not going to bother trying to correct it. I was just happy to observe and learn something I didn't know about and see it in other people's work too so I'm aware it's a thing I can expect in future. I crocheted a bobble for the first doll's nose that can't be changed and I've given her a bum so she will look dramatically off to the side, ha. I will add the second doll's nose at the end, live and learn, right?
How clever to use a spool to stabilize the head, I was thinking about how to get a dowel in there that wouldn't move around or poke out. I will save empty spools just for this now.

Thanks!

Her hair is just a wig cap, and every other stitch or so I attached a chain of 6-9 stitches, then single-crocheted back towards the cap...all the way around.

I wanted the doll to be soft, no hard parts, because boys tend to whip these things across the room, so no spool in her neck. Being so floppy, her head may seem crooked, but it's just the way she is laying on her curls that make it look that way. (The head and body are made separately in this pattern, so any crookedness would be from sewing it on crooked, not the pattern.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017 12:07:30 PM »

Hmm, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. I made mine all one piece. I have seen some dolls where there's a running stitch of another colour added along the way to gauge the natural twist. Being new to crochet I wasn't aware that happened.

The hair is ingenious, I will have to try doing it like that. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017 12:33:20 PM »

Oh, how sweet is this? She has a cute Waldorf-type face and that hair is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

I've seen stuff that would make your tail poofy!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017 01:54:48 PM »

Great job, especially on her hair--you captured the classic Annie look perfectly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smmarrt

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017 03:54:05 PM »

Now if I could just persuade you to make me a Mrs. Hannigan/Carol Burnett doll, life would indeed by good!

Love her!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017 03:54:30 PM by Smmarrt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Junk Journal-along in the Misc. Topics board
Altered Puzzle Pieces coming soon....
Another 4 x 6 Art Swap
tendstowardschaos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017 07:55:36 AM »

Hmm, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. I made mine all one piece. I have seen some dolls where there's a running stitch of another colour added along the way to gauge the natural twist. Being new to crochet I wasn't aware that happened.

The hair is ingenious, I will have to try doing it like that. Thanks!

Working in the round eliminates a seam, but it's like building pottery using the coil method...it's a big spiral. I've seen amigurumi made with a seam, where you join the ends of each round (I'm working on a dragon that's written that way). I got the idea for the hair from doing octopus tentacles - they curled up so nicely, like locks of hair.

Oh, how sweet is this? She has a cute Waldorf-type face and that hair is amazing!

Thank you! I was going for the Waldorf look. Also, in the original comic, Annie was drawn with big, pupil-less circles for eyes. The actress in the movie had blue eyes.

Great job, especially on her hair--you captured the classic Annie look perfectly!

Thank you!

Now if I could just persuade you to make me a Mrs. Hannigan/Carol Burnett doll, life would indeed by good!

Love her!

I'd love to make Ms. Hannigan! The entire cast would be fun to make, they're all such memorable characters. Warbucks, Grace, Punjab, Sandy, Rooster, Room Service...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017 09:25:22 AM »

Rooster. Love Tim Curry, he is so fabulous. That would make the best dolly ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Mini Heart Pinata
Oh, deer!
@Home This Weekend: Stylish Jacket For Your Pooch

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...