A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Does your gift list have you stumped? Can never figure out what to make for Great Aunt Felma?  Each day through December 24, we are featuring a fabulous gift tutorial!  Check out the 2017 Handmade Holiday Gift Guide for (free!) recipes, patterns and more.
Total Members: 319,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
242 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mantles of Resiliance in the Transformation of Eventualities  (Read 835 times)
Tags for this thread: painting , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017 02:42:29 PM »

Beautifully done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017 06:56:15 AM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017 09:30:38 AM »

I love the vibrancy of the girl, birds and books against the background-another beautiful painting!  Can I ask how you choose the titles for your paintings?  I quite like this one Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!

I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art..."  Vladimir Nabok
UnRuli

Artist/Illustrator/Professor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017 03:50:45 PM »

Thank you everyone!

AlteredMommy - Sometimes the title is the hardest part.  This one came about in parts throughout the planning of the painting. 

When I was invited to paint something for the beer show I had no idea what I wanted to do.  I only had a color (a color somewhere in the mid-range hue of beers).  Then, one night when I was working in the hospital one of the nurses I work with came in with new highlights in her hair that seemed to match the color I was assigned perfectly.  I asked her if she'd be willing to model for me and to share a bit of her story to help me determine what I should paint.  She agreed. 

I was able to get a few photos, though none of them were even close to this particular set-up.  She told me about leaving Ghana and a little of her time here in the US.  I knew she was in the process of finishing up her Doctorate.  I asked her if there was any bit of clothing that meant anything to her and she brought along this dress.....it was perfect!  It was a dress her mother made for her from fabric she brought from Ghana.  The dress was actually in red, blue and yellow, but the pattern is very similar.  With her permission I changed the colors of the dress to better suit the overall image.

The "mantles" in the title refers particularly to this dress.  A mother's love providing protection that in this case also provides a link to heritage (hence the reason the pattern appears in the earth).  Resilience refers to her family's struggle to make their way to a new life.  Resilience is also why I chose to use Starlings in this painting.  Starlings are highly resilient and adaptable birds.  The Glossy Starlings of Ghana are also stunning....bonus!  I always love to speak of transformation through education as it speaks to my own personal story and I felt it applied to this painting as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Recycled Sweater Quilt
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Mini Heart Pinata
Oh, deer!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...