A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 314,275
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet/soda can bag  (Read 320 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Chopino9n2
« on: August 29, 2017 05:44:21 AM »

I know this isn't strictly crochet related, but I figured it's worth a shot. I did also look through the recycled crafts threads and there wasn't anything there, so I posted my question there as well.

I couldn't find another thread that talked about this, but I have a question about technique - I have these soda cans (well, really they're flavored water - look like this http://www.coca-colaproductfacts.com/content/dam/productfacts/us/productDetails/ProductImages/PDP_DasaniSparklingBerry_12oz.png and this: http://www.dasani.com/img/sparkling-flavors/new/dasani-sparkling-water-tropical-pineapple-12-oz-can.png )

I would like to make a bag out of these - I've seen where other people around the internet have made hats or wallets or whatever - but i'm specifically looking to make a bag that combines the cans with crochet.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone else done something with cans before, and are there any tips for how to do this? I feel like I'm just making the whole thing up as I go along and I don't know if it will actually do what I want it to. Help or photos for inspiration would be appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NoShowJr
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017 11:57:32 AM »

Unsure what look you're going for, but what about maybe using something like a Crop-A-Dile to punch holes in the borders of the can/can pieces and crocheting into those holes to join the pieces together?  Is that maybe what you're going for?  It may be the obvious.  The aluminum is usually so heavy that it takes a heavier punch to get through it.  And the CAD is safer than using a drill on metal.  Oh and lay out a bag under where you're cutting the cans apart.  The lil slivers tend to fly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chopino9n2
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017 04:26:25 PM »

Unsure what look you're going for, but what about maybe using something like a Crop-A-Dile to punch holes in the borders of the can/can pieces and crocheting into those holes to join the pieces together?  Is that maybe what you're going for?  It may be the obvious.  The aluminum is usually so heavy that it takes a heavier punch to get through it.  And the CAD is safer than using a drill on metal.  Oh and lay out a bag under where you're cutting the cans apart.  The lil slivers tend to fly!

I hadn't seen that punch before, thanks for the suggestion! It looks like that might just be what I need. I'm planning on putting some colorful washi tape or something around the edges of the cans prior to punching the holes to give it a little color, and to cover the sharp edges, so whatever punch I get would need to go through both the can and the tape.

Already cut the cans to size, and I had newspaper under where I was cutting...those slivers do go everywhere!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NoShowJr
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017 06:20:47 PM »

My fear is stepping on one of those darn slivers!

The CAD should go through both with no problem!  Amazing little gadget.  It will even set grommets.  Something else you may want to consider as a nice touch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chopino9n2
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017 10:11:35 AM »

My fear is stepping on one of those darn slivers!

The CAD should go through both with no problem!  Amazing little gadget.  It will even set grommets.  Something else you may want to consider as a nice touch?

Ooo!! I hadn't thought of that! Maybe use grommets for the handle or something... So many possibilities here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NoShowJr
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017 08:07:58 PM »

At least the supply of cans are cheap enough to play around with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NoShowJr
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017 01:10:05 PM »

I maybe should note that there are two types of Crop-A-Dile.  There is the original and then the Big Bite.  You may want to check out both, though I think the little one will work for what you're wanting to do.  I lucked into a clearance when I got mine so I ended up purchasing both!  Just finished using my little one to create a reusable template for crocheting on flip flops.  I'm too lazy to measure every time I want to do some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...