A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Does your gift list have you stumped? Can never figure out what to make for Great Aunt Felma?  Each day through December 24, we are featuring a fabulous gift tutorial!  Check out the 2017 Handmade Holiday Gift Guide for (free!) recipes, patterns and more.
Total Members: 314,853
Currently Running With Scissors:
250 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: From the Junk Mail Pile to the Wastebasket=Biodegradable Wastebasket Liners!  (Read 1154 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 27, 2017 10:09:51 AM »

This summer, I took part in Plastic Free July (http://www.plasticfreejuly.org/), and while I was able to reduce some of my plastic usage, an area that I totally failed at was in reducing my plastic bag "habit." While I have a whole bunch of reusable shopping bags, I almost never use them for shopping. Besides forgetting to put them in the car (and remembering to bring them into the store), I often fill them with other things in the house (craft projects, for example). But, one of my main reasons for collecting plastic bags is to use them as wastebasket liners throughout the house (bedrooms, laundry room, bathroom).

One of the hints that the Plastic Free July site suggested was to line the bin with newspaper. But, I know that when I go to take the newspaper bundle out, I'll dump half of the stuff on the floor. I know that I could just skip the bag altogether but I don't want to do that because we have to put our city trash on the street in special bags, not trash bins, and sometimes the bags rip, and trash spills...using a second bag makes some of the trash a bit less likely to fly into the neighbor's yard.

So...I have a solution that works for me Smiley And, it's free, to boot!

Every week in the mail, we get a bundle of sales flyers. I almost never look at them, and usually just add them to the recycling. But now, they're my new wastebasket liners!

Here's how I made them:

First, measure the distance around the wastebasket.

Next, measure the height of the wastebasket. I didn't add any extra for the width of the wastebasket bottom, but you could always add a few inches if you wanted.

Now, if the flyers are long enough, you can cut a piece that is same dimension as the distance around the wastebasket. Mine were note quite long enough, so I cut two pieces that were half the distance. Trim the pieces to the correct height.

Pair up two pieces for each liner.

Then stitch the sides and bottom together, leaving an opening at the top. I used a large stitch length because I didn't want to have the seams rip. Also, I didn't use cotton thread for these because I didn't have any (so not 100% biodegradable, right now). But, if they work out fine, I'll pick up a spool of cotton thread for the future!

Stuff one into the wastebasket, and you're good to go!

I think they'll hold up pretty well. I don't usually put a lot of heavy, wet items in these wastebaskets, so I'm not worried about them tearing from that.

Now, I just need to remember to start using my reusable bags when I do the shopping!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017 10:39:32 AM »

I really admire your dedication to reduction, and your reuse of all the redundant and unnecessary flyers (I get them too, and only use them for paper mache - otherwise, they go straight in the recycle bin).

I keep my grocery bags in my car trunk. After shopping, and unpacking, I fold them into 1 (like a set) and put them by my purse, and just loop my car to chuck them back in the trunk. But I do have two sets, because it's not a foolproof method. And I have a soft, cotton one rolled and folded stuffed inside my purse for small purchases.

But your sewing and prep goes WAY beyond me remembering to bring a bag. Straight up, KUDOS!

\M/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a set of 80s Halloween cardstock decorations - skeleton,  witch, and ghost - with minor imperfections. PM me if you would like them!
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017 12:20:32 PM »

Thanks, JoyfulClover! And, thanks for the tips on how to make sure to bring my reusable bags. My main problem is that when I bring them into the house, they are quite handy when I need to tote some craft stuff to a craft day. I can see 3 right now that are filled with non-shopping stuff. Since I need to stop eating so much take-out, I'll need to shop more, so I really need to empty them out Smiley And then, I can pack them as two sets (great suggestion!), so when I am guaranteed to leave a set in the house, I'll have a backup!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017 12:43:29 PM »

Oh yeah! I have project bags and shopping bags, and never the twain shall meet.

You should start asking for project bags from swaps! They're so cute, I can't imagine only using them for shopping!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a set of 80s Halloween cardstock decorations - skeleton,  witch, and ghost - with minor imperfections. PM me if you would like them!
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017 12:45:13 PM »

Oh yeah! I have project bags and shopping bags, and never the twain shall meet.

You should start asking for project bags from swaps! They're so cute, I can't imagine only using them for shopping!

I have so many bags in my house, I seriously don't need more Smiley I have a slight tote bag addiction, and really, really have to work hard to not get any more Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

A CANDLE LIT FOR YOU!

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017 05:13:41 PM »

You are so awesome, this is so awesome. You ROCK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017 06:11:24 PM »

You are so awesome, this is so awesome. You ROCK!

Haha! Thank you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

All you need is love.

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017 07:21:38 AM »

Awesome, awesome, awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

excelsior
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017 10:03:50 AM »

If you have too many tote bags (or good quality plastic or paper bags with handles), you can donate some to your local food pantry for their clientele.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017 01:16:51 PM »

Awesome, awesome, awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks!

If you have too many tote bags (or good quality plastic or paper bags with handles), you can donate some to your local food pantry for their clientele.

I actually did that- we had a food drive at school and I collected a whole bunch of my bags (plus a few that I bought for the drive), and challenged each homeroom to fill a bag. We then used the bags to deliver the food to the food pantry, and left the bags with them. If I notice that my collection is building up again, I'll do it again (thanks for the reminder Smiley )!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Vegan Root Vegetable Stew
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Molasses Candy
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Elf on a Shelf Tutu

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...