A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 319,191
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Animals Gone Wild! (pic heavy)  (Read 1651 times)
Tags for this thread: faux_taxidermy , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2017 04:40:37 AM »

I love the idea of faux taxidermy. And I love animals in clothes. So you can see how I might have arrived at making these little guys.

When I craft, I start to develop backstories for them - and this helps to guide my creative decisions, or justify them maybe.  Roll Eyes Funny enough I didn't give any of them names. Maybe it makes parting easier that way. Anyway...

So Mr. Christmas Tree Horse (if we're being technical I think he is actually a zebra but you can hardly tell now) started out as my intended circus sideshow type character. Except I was really hating the color combo of the blue skirt and sparkly green top I made for him.....until I starting thinking of what that green could be transformed into....this lead to me recalling my very fond love of ugly Christmas sweaters....and well that kind of grew until he turned into a tree. Well to be fair, he's not a tree. He's just VERY enthusiastic about ugly Christmas sweaters and took it up a notch. My favorite detail is probably the wee candy canes I made. So tiny. So cute!

Mr. Gryffindor Dolphin stumped me for a long time. Initially I was thinking of making him a top hat and a bow tie, but everything I made for that just turned to crap. He really didn't speak to me for a long while, and I'm still not sure what clicked in place, but once I thought, hey!! He could be a huge Harry Potter nut and is going to Hogwarts, I was totally in love with the idea and went with it. The scarf was a royal pain to crochet (color changing with such tiny stitches is hard!), but I love how it came together. Unfortunately, in the picture its rather hard to see but he does have his wand - it just happens to blend very well with the background mount color.

Mr. Rockabilly Punk Horse was probably one of my first creations as far as concept goes. I've always had a bit of love for the rocker vibe and knew I had to represent somehow. I am super proud of how I got the shirt to fit (thank you level 1 fiber class in college for teaching me how to make a pattern even if I did hate it at the time!), and love how everything offsets each other. Also super proud of the studded choker Cheesy

Ms. Dino Material Girl reminds me of Madonna's 80s aesthetic which didn't necessarily start that way. I found the leopard print fabric in my stash, then added the white lace skirt, and it really went from there.

Mr. Sleepy Time Horse Butt took a bit of stewing to come up with the idea as well. I patterned out the shorts first, and the flowery pattern and color really pushed me in a pajama vibe so that's where we went! Of course my favorite thing is the bunny slippers! Hopefully whoever finds it can appreciate that - they are kind of hard to see...

Ah lastly, my wee Sweetheart Tiger. He tries to be tough but is a big softie inside. Of course I started with the crochet sweater, which I am thrilled to pieces I was able to make (was really winging it and hoping for the best when I started that). He stumped me for a long time after that as to what his personality would be. But randomly one night I decided to glue some flowers in his mouth, and that did it - he's the quiet boy who brings you flowers unexpectedly. He does have a bit of flair for fashion after all when I came up with the hat and earring. The watch just totally by coincidence matched and I just love how it all came together in the end (So in love with the tiny watch, its so simple but cute!)

I am really proud that all the supplies for this project (minus the wooden plaques and plastic animals) came completely from stash, though there were a few moments that I was sorely tempted to go to the craft store.

Now they'll be put out in the wild as a part of the Abandoned Art Swap for strangers to find, and hopefully it'll put a smile on someone's face.

P.S. I've already started working on two more (animal butts) so I have a couple to abandon myself! I'll share pictures when they're complete  Grin

Update:
I made this taxidermy butt with the leftover end of my wee tiger! I wasn't sure where to go after I crocheted the pants, but then found this little bunny that needed a ride and it just went together  Cheesy

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017 03:37:26 PM by sheepBlue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017 05:54:46 AM »

Whoever finds one of these is LUCKY!  You are awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017 06:38:01 AM »

I COMPLETELY agree. Whoever finds these are lucky, indeed.

I am seriously in love with these suckers. To the point, I don't even have a favorite (although that zebra reminds me of [Gravity Falls] Mabels' spirit, so I kinda crush it).

Really really fun, inspired, and we'll executed.

\m/
JClove
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017 09:36:19 AM »

These are fantastic and hilarious and brilliant all at once!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017 01:19:18 PM »

the zebra is clearly named Zelda.

what a cool, crazy project, and I love the idea of abandoning them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017 08:14:31 PM »

ACK! These are brilliant and adorable! Why did I move away from Portland 5 years before I could've maybe found one of these!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 46
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017 04:55:25 AM »

Oh. Em. Gee.

The bunny slippers are the first thing I noticed Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017 07:07:05 AM »

Ack, I love these so much! I would be over the moon if I found one, especially that Christmas horse. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

All you need is love.

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017 07:12:49 AM »

Super, super cool, my friend! I think the tiger is my fave...agree, the watch is the perfect addition! All the little accessories are perfect and awesomely made.

You're about to make some strangers' day. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017 08:34:40 AM »

Thanks for all the love  Grin I had a lot of fun making these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...