A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,275
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! Freaking mint, Moving bulbs, Preparing garden for fall  (Read 236 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Fried Gold
Rude and Ginger

Go Team Venture!

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2017 10:17:13 AM »

I know it's a little early, but I figured I'm better off knowing what I'm in for.

I need help. We moved into a new house last October. The side garden has some beautiful irises and gladiolus, as well as a cute rose bush. However, the former owners planted mint in the same little plot. I'd like to keep the bulb flowers and the bush and get rid of the plague that is the mint, but I'm not really sure how to go about it. If I was going to rip up the bulbs, would I do it now? Wait till later? Do I have to plant them in the fall? I assume they're hardy as they survived the winter.

Otherwise, I have no problem digging up and suffocating that freaking mint.  Angry

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Glitter is the herpes of arts and crafts; you can't get rid of it no matter how hard you try."
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017 04:34:40 PM »

Warning - that mint will come back and come back and come back if you leave even just a miniscule microspec of it behind.  I had a mint plant that busted through the the pot that held the pot it came in and I thought I got rid of it after three years of pulling, digging, etc - but this year, two years after I thought I finally got rid of it, it is growing through my patio.

Otherwise, dig up and move the bulbs after everything has died down - gladiolus, in my zone in Southern Canada (6a), are not winter hardy, so I would have to dig them up before the frost and store them - the occasional forgotten bulb survives a winter, but generally not winter hardy here.  The irises are hardy - I have taken some that people have been wanting to throw out and planted them throughout the summer and they come back.  It's actually good to dig the rhizomes up and trim the rot, and split them up regularly - just make sure to not plant them too deep, and not make too small a chunk as then it may not bloom for a couple of seasons 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...