A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 314,284
Currently Running With Scissors:
392 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chicken Lips, with pattern link  (Read 412 times)
Tags for this thread: chicken  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 18, 2017 11:47:24 AM »

Yeah, you heard me.

LOL, ok, not really. I'm just showing how I made the faces of these here chickens.

Using 3 colours you can get 6 variations.

I couldn't sleep last night so I finished them all up then strung them this morning. I gave them a little squeeze in the middle to puffy them out so they are a bit more 3-D and crescent shaped instead of half circles.

Here they are in the kitchen for size reference.  

And another strand hung vertically.

With a matching tassel.

I got the idea from a photo online. I looked for a pattern but didn't find one so made it up, as usual. And, as usual, I repeated it over a dozen times trying to do it the same way twice so I could share the how-to with you here. Failure, lol.
Then I found a pattern!
http://www.bhwt.org.uk/plea-crochet-chickens/

I tried it their way, sort of.

Crochet chickens method

Skill: Easy
Materials: Crochet Hook Size F, Assorted Scrap Yarns, Craft Wiggly Eyes inch

This is the perfect project to use up all those left over scraps that we all have in our stash! It is easy to adapt this pattern to your favorite colors. Be creative and have fun!

Rooster Body: (You do not have to change colors each row. These look very cute in a variegated yarn or solid for all three rows.)

First row: With color of choice ch4 and 17dc in 4th ch from hook, join to make a closed circle
Row 2: With color of choice chain 3, 2dc in each dc of row 1, join to first ch3
Third row: With color of choice chain 3, 2dc in each dc of previous row, join to first chain 3.
Row 4: With color of choice, ch1. Fold circle in half to form a crescent shape, join the edges of
crescent shape by working a sc into the dc of front and back of crescent. Finish off and weave in
ends.
Note: I simply leave the tails of the previous rounds encased in the middle of the crescent shape.
Beak: (use color of choiceI prefer an orange or bright yellow)

At the right point of the crescent, insert the crochet hook and pull up a loop and chain 2. Turn and work a hdc in next sc and then cut yarn leaving a tail of about 7 inches and thread through a tapestry needle and weave in the end into the body of the rooster. Weave in beginning tail of beak as well.
Legs

Rooster legs: Use the same color as you used on the beak. Locate the center bottom of the roosters body. You will work the front leg first and then the back. Pull up a loop in the stitch that is to the right of the center and chain 8 (for longer legs ch 13). Slip stitch in 2nd chain from hook and next chain, Chain 3 and slip stitch in 2nd chain from hook and next chain, chain 3 and slip stitch in 2nd chain from hook and next chain. (you will now have 3 chicken toes formed!) Join to the first chain of the first toe and slip stitch all the way up the leg, Turn and sc in next stitch of rooster body and work the second leg in the same manner. Cut ends and weave them in.
Comb and wattle

The comb and wattle: At the top of the beak where it meets the tip of the rooster body, in color of choice (red or orange, or rust) pull up a loop and chain 5, sc in next st, ch5, sc in next stitch, ch5 sc in next stitch. Weave ends into the body of the rooster. At the bottom of the beak, pull up a loop and chain 8, sc in same stitch. Using one of the ends tack the inside part of the loop to the rooster body and weave in the end, weave in the remaining end into the body of the rooster.
Tail

And finallythe tail: On the opposite point of the crescent, pull up a loop and ch 12, sc in same st, repeat 2 more times. Cut ends and weave them into the body. Glue a craft wiggly eye on each side of the rooster and attach a hanger for the ornament. I suggest a hanger by making a chain of 45 and attaching it to the top center of the rooster and weaving the ends into the body.

One thing I did differently was to leave a long tail on all my working strands, those I used a crochet hook to pull through at the tail of the chicken/rooster for a shaggy rainbow mess of feathers which I love. If that's not appealing to you follow the pattern above. You can find a photo of the finished chicken in the link I included Smiley.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017 11:47:46 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mlsocci74

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017 02:04:38 PM »

So so fun.  I love it.   I love your ability to come up with patterns.    Such talent. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017 06:53:42 PM »

Thank you! I need another project to keep my hands busy at night. I'm thinking curly tentacled octopus... I used to be completely baffled by the spiral stitch but I can figure that one out, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017 09:28:06 PM »

Yes, yes you can.  Cheesy

Thanks for the pattern, these chickens are so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017 06:12:40 AM »

I'm working on it, it's coming along. I love the tentacles, they are so fun Cheesy.

Somebody make some chickens!

ETA not too much fuss. I'll finish it later, I want to put a jingly bell inside.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017 04:46:58 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017 08:26:02 AM »

Look how fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 46
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017 06:02:29 PM »

I finished 2 more, rainbow this time. I call them "Diversity Chickens". I don't know why people use the term bird-brained as an insult, even the feathered folk know better than to judge each other based on appearances, lol!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...