A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 313,855
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Something smells fowl in here!  (Read 596 times)
Tags for this thread: duck , skeleton , monster , creature , ducktales , disney , nintendo , capcom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Patraw
« on: July 17, 2017 12:57:42 PM »

I "fake-joined" the "Bird Bee Butterfly" Swap at Craftster, which simply means that, while you still have to follow the rules for said event, instead of actually exchanging the item(s) that you made with another member, you're creating them for yourself. The object of said swap was to create three items, one focusing on each of the three critter types named in the swap's title.

For my bird project, I decided to make a "Skeleton Duck" enemy monster from Capcom's classic 1989 Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) video game DuckTales (it was also ported to the original black-and-white Gameboy in 1990), which was based on the hit Disney cartoon show of the same name. A hi-definition, remastered version of said title was also released for the PC, Microsoft Xbox 360, Sony Playstation 3, and Nintendo Wii U in 2013.

In the game, billionaire Uncle Scrooge McDuck travels the world (The Amazon, The Himalayas, Transylvania, African Mines, and even the Moon!) collecting even more riches to line his already super deep pockets (the Japanese adaptation was re-named Naughty Duck's Dream Adventures which is much more descriptive of that greedy old bird's activities if you ask me!) And, naturally, Scrooge's many enemies, including The Beagle Boys, Magica DeSpell, and Flintheart Glomgold, try to thwart Scrooge's efforts to maintain his status as the richest duck in the world.

Only found in the Transylvania stage, Skeleton Ducks mindlessly scamper about the rooms and corridors of Dracula Duck's crumbling castle. None too smart (their brains rotted away a long time ago after all), Skeleton Ducks frequently collide with walls, and other solid structures, and those impacts cause them to fall apart into a pile of bones, but that's only a temporary setback, as they soon magically reassemble themselves and give chase once again. Like most of the enemies in the DuckTales video game, Scrooge can easily dispatch them with a single blow from his versatile pogo cane, so, these bony adversaries aren't much of a threat to the rich old bird, who's surprisingly agile for a geriatric fowl. I'm sure he'd tell us that the pursuit of money always makes him feel and move like a spry duckling again . . .

Here's a closer look at the Skeleton Duck game sprite, without the background graphics, that I animated. The poor thing can't seem to keep it together:

Following are some photos of the papier mache modeling process I used to create this action figure:

And this is the completed model:

Materials:
Newsprint, tissue paper, cardboard from a box of cereal, wire twist ties, white glue, and acrylic paint.

Dimensions*:
5.1 cm (2.0") wide x 6.0 cm (2.4") tall.
(*Please note that the numbers given can vary a bit, depending on how the figure's joints are positioned.)

Articulation:
Neck, ribs, vertebrae column, shoulders, elbows, wrists, and hips.

Time:
Three days: July 4th, 7th, and 9th, 2017.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017 01:53:27 PM »

Eek! This one is kinda scary!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 37
TheArtsyRaven
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017 09:43:57 PM »

I love it! Seeing tiny paper mache work is amazing. Yes, I know it's possible, but still amazing. Great work as always
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017 06:46:39 AM »

Thank you!

Now, for some bird extras. Like butterflies, avian items are always finding their way into my hands, regardless of whether I want them or not.

First off is this cute chick. It's rubbery and squeezable and covered with a bunch of soft nubs giving it a Kooshkin-like effect. I don't know why, but there's a hard ball embedded inside its body which doesn't seem to serve any earthly purpose. Or at least, I didn't think it did, until I was writing this, and decided to give the bird a good shake, and, lo and behold, the darn thing lights up with red and yellow flashing lights! Man, this thing just went from "okay" to "super awesome" in one second flat! And to think, I'd been living my existence in ignorance until today, completely oblivious to just how special this baby bird really is . . . you really have to stop and smell the roses, er, shake your chickens, or life will just pass you by!

Next is Hawkman from the 2016 McDonald's Justice League Action assortment (which just happens to be the coordinating "boy" line to the "girls" Superhero Girls fast food promotion I mentioned in my "It's Good to Bee Queen" thread). His wings are spring-loaded and open up to their full wingspan when you press a lever button on his back, releasing them, which is pretty neat.

And here's Captain Penny, Monster High Robecca Steam's pet penguin. The "daughter" of a mad scientist, Robecca is a steampunk robot, so, she's already 116 years old, but I dare say she doesn't look a day over 72. I only have the Dead Tired version of Robecca, which didn't include Penny, so, I was delighted to find her mechanical fowl pal in a bag of random toys. Penguins can't fly, but Penny can, because it has a rocket pack!

Still not enough penguins for you? Well, while some people have been wasting their summer sitting by the pool sipping Pina Coladas, Captain Penguin (whom blupaisan made for me) hasn't been idle and has assembled a rather impressive crew of peg-legged pirate penguins! These are actually playing pieces for the "Don't Rock the Boat" game, which consists of a pirate ship, perched precariously on a wave, that you take turns carefully placing these pirate penguins on, trying not to tip the ship over in the process. I don't have said game, but, if I ever find a copy, being short of penguins isn't going to be a problem (I have 15 of them total now, but I couldn't locate them all for this photo shoot).

And, lastly, here's a 2013 Bongo Simpsons comic book trade paperback. What on earth does that have to do with birds? Don't have a cow, man, I'm going to tell you! The first story ("Mr. Burn$") in this volume is actually a spoof of DuckTales, which, considering what I made, is right on target. Mr. Burns fills the role of Scrooge McDuck of course, Homer is Donald, and Bart/Lisa/Maggie are Huey/Dewey/Louie. While the whole concept is brilliant, by far the best part is when Homer shows up at Mr. Burns' mansion, ready to go treasure hunting, dressed exactly like Donald Duck, which, unfortunately, includes not wearing any clothing at all below the waist. Classic Homer!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017 07:02:43 AM by Patraw - Reason: I forgot how to spell Dewey correctly; the ghost of Dewey the Library Cat has lost all respect for me » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017 08:39:28 AM »

I swear, Patraw, you never cease to amaze me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017 10:17:42 AM »

Awesome work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017 05:38:05 PM »

Skeleton Duck isn't scary at all, it is the squinty-eyed Koosh ball chick that worries me. I bet the disco ball inside is supposed to distract you from its murder beak.

Fascinating figure you have created. I can't believe it is articulated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gozer

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017 08:00:29 AM »

This is awesome. I love anything DuckTales and this is fantastic!! I love that it's move-able.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017 12:39:54 PM »

The teen boy and I enjoyed this so very much. I show him a lot of your posts, he is a maker too and it's really good for him to see your process, it's very accessible with incredible results. I love that you share all the how-to Smiley. He is the only person I know who enjoys that duck show and we both have a fondness for Homey so this was extra special good fun Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017 01:06:38 PM »

Thank you again, everyone!

@pottermouth:  The chick's flashing lights are kind of distracting/hypnotizing (I left it on my keyboard and find myself randomly picking it up and  making it light-up every now-and-then, almost without thinking about it), but it almost never murders anyone, unless they totally deserve it by doing something thoughtless like eating chicken nuggets in plain sight.

@craftylittlemonkey: What kinds of things does your son make?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Shark week is coming!
@Home This Weekend: Frugal Floral Wreath
July 20th: National Moon Day

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...