A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 314,291
Currently Running With Scissors:
389 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mom told me about the birds and bees but neglected the butter-smeared insects  (Read 605 times)
Tags for this thread: alice_in_wonderland , butterfly , bread , butter , insect , bug , disney , cartoon , creature  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Patraw

But we're the Misfits! Our songs are better!

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2017 11:23:03 AM »

I "fake-joined" the "Bird Bee Butterfly" Swap at Craftster, which simply means that, while you still have to follow the rules for said event, instead of actually exchanging the item(s) that you made with another member, you're creating them for yourself. The object of said swap was to create three items, one focusing on each of the three critter types named in the swap's title.

For my butterfly project, I decided to make a "Bread-and-Butterfly" from Disney's 1951 animated adaptation of Lewis Carroll's (the well-known pseudonym of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) 1871 Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There. While mostly on target, Disney's interpretation of the insect's physiology varies a bit from the description Carroll gave in his book:

'Crawling at your feet,' said the Gnat (Alice drew her feet back in some alarm), 'you may observe a Bread-and-Butterfly. Its wings are thin slices of Bread-and-butter, its body is a crust, and its head is a lump of sugar.'

'And what does IT live on?'

'Weak tea with cream in it.'

A new difficulty came into Alice's head. 'Supposing it couldn't find any?' she suggested.

'Then it would die, of course.'

'But that must happen very often,' Alice remarked thoughtfully.

'It always happens,' said the Gnat.

Following are some photos of the papier mache modeling process that I used to create this figurine:

And this is the completed figurine:

I still don't have a "proper" Alice doll, so Liv Sophie gets to do the honors this time. I think the dress is a Beauty and the Beast Belle one, but, I'm not certain. It's blue and white, which is close enough to what Alice wears in the Disney film to suit my purposes. I had a black satin hair ribbon . . . somewhere . . . but, I don't remember where I stuck it after my last Alice photo shoot, as such, I made her a "new" one out of a combination of an elastic hair band and some electrical tape--MacGyver eat your heart out! Technically, there was a Target-exclusive Liv Sophie doll done up as Alice, but I don't have her, or, at least, if I do, I don't have her Alice outfit (I've accumulated a LOT of Sophie dolls over the last 3-4 years, so, I honestly don't even know anymore).

Materials:
Newsprint, tissue paper, white paper, cardboard from a box of cereal, wire twist ties, white glue, acrylic paint, and permanent marker.

Dimensions:
5.7 cm (2.2") long x 5.7 cm (2.2") tall x 5.1 cm (2.0") wide.

Time:
Three days: June 29th, July 2nd and 9th, 2017.

Rainbow Dash isn't allowed in Wonderland anymore . . .

THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheArtsyRaven
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017 11:49:56 AM »

I love it!! Always loved Alice in Wonderland, love most crazy movies/shows so no wonder. Now I really want to make one of these creatures myself. And look at all the other miniatures from the movie! So cute! Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017 12:59:05 PM »

Fantastically well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017 10:33:07 AM »

Your models are amazing and this one is particularly cute. Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017 12:42:55 PM »

Fun AND funny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 46
pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017 05:19:07 PM »

Rainbow Dash doesn't care much for proportion, does she?

I love this little guy with his butter wings and giant eyes. Are his wings removable? Never mind. I see that question has already been answered.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

But we're the Misfits! Our songs are better!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017 01:16:28 PM »

Thanks everybody!

@pottermouth:  I did intentionally design the wings so that they were removable just so I could make that Rainbow Dash photo comic strip, but, once that was finished, I glued them back into place permanently so they won't get lost.  And Rainbow Dash says proportions don't mean jack to her--everypony knows that slices of bread will magically shrink down to the right size once you toast them, and, if they don't, blame it on somepony else.

Now, for some butterfly extras. I get butterfly junk all the time, often without even trying, so these were easy to scrounge up.

First is a sheet of temporary tattoos. We've got hearts, ladybugs, stars, flowers, and, of course, butterflies. I don't have any real tattoos and I don't wear temporary ones either. You see, this is what separates an amateur hoarder from a professional, you've got to accumulate, and refuse to part with, things that you have absolutely no use for!

Next is one of the many tomes of Disney Fairies literature that you can get, namely 2007's "Prilla and the Butterfly Lie". This was written by Kitty Richards and is beautifully illustrated by Denise Shimabukuro. Prilla is special in that she's the only "mainland-visiting clapping-talent" fairy; it's her job to instantly teleport to the human mainland to make appearances which keeps people's belief in fairies alive; if people stop believing in them, fairies die (which is kind of heavy subject matter for a children's book). Unfortunately, Prilla has a problem, she can't say "no" to other fairies when they ask for her help, even when she detests the tasks, so, she's always helping others when she'd really rather be doing her own job. As such, after some meddling from the rotten fairy Vidia, she tells a little lie, that she's really into butterflies, to escape having to help shear fuzzy caterpillars again. Well, all the butterfly-herding fairies come down with Fairy Pox, and Prilla, due to her "confession" of love for butterflies, gets volunteered to take over for their duties while they're ill, and, having no knowledge whatsoever about butterfly herding, Prilla quickly gets into trouble (despite their innocent appearance, butterflies in Neverland are kind of nasty pranksters).

And here's a toy Green Swallowtail (which is helpfully labeled on its right wing). No copyright data on it though, so, I don't know what it's from, but, I'd guess some kind of science-themed toy set, possibly in combination with a book.

A pair of plastic butterfly rings. I have more, but these two are the nicest-looking samples currently in my collection, and I particularly like the cut-out wing sections on the hot pink one. They're kids' rings of course, and likely cupcake toppers, as such, they barely fit on my fingers (I can't even get the pink one over the second knuckles on my pinkies!)

If you thought I wasn't going to find a way to squeeze My Little Ponies in here somewhere, you don't know me very well! The pegasus Fluttershy's name is a pun on butterfly, and she sports three pink butterflies as her cutie mark, so, even though she's not an insect, she totally counts! Here's a 10" Funrise plush Fluttershy, a smaller brushable Hasbro Fluttershy (given the gem-shaped highlights in her eyes and unruly tinsel in her mane, she's probably from the Crystal Empire assortment), and an even smaller 2016 McDonald's Fluttershy (with color-changing tail). It's a sad state of affairs, but McDonald's honestly makes more accurate-looking MLP toys than Hasbro does, at a fraction of the cost! Me acquiring too many Fluttershies makes Rainbow Dash nervous, but she'll never admit it.

Speaking of Rainbow Dash, while it has nothing to do with butterflies, I also recently got this, a My Little Pony: Pop Zecora (the zebra) with Rainbow Dash's mane and tail attached to her, whom I have lovingly dubbed "Imposter Dash". (To add injury to insult, when I fished Zecora out of the bag of toys that I bought, Rainbow Dash's mane was mistakenly attached to Zecora's posterior, and her tail to her head, but Rainbow refused to let me shoot a photo of that because she couldn't live with the indignity if I did.)

I also got a small My Little Pony handbag in the same random bag of girls' toys that contained Imposter Dash. Ignoring the MLP logo, the color/design actually suggests Strawberry Shortcake more to me though. It's important for your ponies to travel in style when you're going out on a play date or something . . .

THIS ROCKS   Logged
pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017 01:50:20 PM »

Cheesy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Juliana13

smile! it makes people wonder what you're up to

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017 05:33:07 PM »

a job well done! I would not even know where to begin on a project like this. All your characters are amazing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you made it, I'll love it!
I'll swap ya for it Smiley
check out my wists www.wists.com/Juliana13
I'm on Pinterest too! use it more than wists.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: No Boil Mac and Cheese
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...