A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 314,798
Currently Running With Scissors:
141 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soap Cutting Devices  (Read 975 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

excelsior
« on: June 28, 2017 02:38:16 PM »

I am considering making favors of handmade soap for a party, but don't want to make my own soap since I am a novice. I was considering buying handmade soap and cutting it into smaller bars. I've seen soap cutters online, but since (for now) this will most likely be a one-time use, I don't want to buy a device. Is there something I can easily make on my own that will be durable enough to cut a block of soap (I'm thinking a kitchen knife is too thick and will tend to cut crooked). Thanks, soapmakers, for your advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017 03:15:43 PM »

If you're not looking to invest for long term use, you might be able to find some things around the house that work ok. A bench scraper that you might use in baking works great, or a similar crinkle cutter (crinkle cutters help hide crookedness!). A thin kitchen knife actually works just fine, but you can improve the straightness of your cutting with a mitre box, which you might already have or can pick up at hardware store. Honestly, if this is just going to be a one time thing I would just use a thin kitchen knife and cut as straight as you can. If it's a bit wonky, just embrace it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017 03:21:10 PM »

A pastry scraper is a nice, sturdy straight edge with a good handle for applying steady pressure. You can get crinkle kitchen cutters too, they are for slicing potatoes and the like so surely strong enough for soap. You can keep either for use in the kitchen afterwards, I have found many uses for our pastry scraper over the years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
excelsior
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017 10:01:22 PM »

Even though I mentioned knives, I don't know why I did not think of a pastry cutter, which I have. I guess I was focused on the wire cutting devices I saw.‎ I'll try that and see how it goes, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SunTrade2
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017 01:16:11 AM »

To cut my soap, I use this.

http://www.kitchencollection.com/kitchen-collection-wood-cheese-slicer-09017

Is  cheese cutter, you can probably find it in many places.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017 01:17:54 AM by SunTrade2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cupcake Bath Bombs
Rainy Days
Meatless Monday: Semlor aka Swedish Cream Buns

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...