A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,765
Currently Running With Scissors:
248 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A giant mosaic project to break my crafting dry spell  (Read 5667 times)
Tags for this thread: mosaic , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2017 04:57:49 PM »

I really don't do things by short measures. I've had a bit of a challenge since the beginning of the year finding my crafty drive and inspiration to make things (a fun combo of work and life stress though thankfully that period seems to be waning, yay!). So where the idea and inspiration and, more importantly, motivation came from to tackle this project....I'm at a loss. But it happened and I'm happy it did! Now I have this giant beauty to stare at and ogle....just need to figure out where to put it......

(Damn thing defies taking pictures - I can't help but want to put resin on everything to give it a shiny slick coat and seal everything in.)

We all love progress pictures, yeah? Let's go down the story hole...

The beginning...a collection of coins...that's where the idea started. A mosaic with coins. A big thank you to alteredmommy, LeapFeetFirst, and kwality570 for sending me your spare foreign coins to add the the pile!

I forgot to take pictures until I got as far as laying out the patterns...at this point I decided to also incorporate some beads I had in my stash (though more had to be purchased to fill the board).

This took a week or two of futzing with the placement and whatnot and then it was onto grouting! I learned from the last time I did this that grouting is a huge mess - so I decided to do this step outside....in the hot hot sun. So much fun.

And I conveniently forgot from the last time how long it took to smooth everything out and then having to go back multiple times to wipe off every individual coin and glass shard. This probably took an hour total if I had to guess.

Wipe wipe wipe. Keep wiping.

This picture below is before resin, but after a final polish of the coins and glass. Major difference.

Now all the beauty shots!

Scissors are there for reference. The board itself is 16 x 21 inches. And it's actually a lazy susan, but I'm not sure I actually want to cover it up and have it be used lest it get ruined or something......and I'm still not sure where I'm putting it..

A close up of a couple of cool coins...The one on the right second down reminds me of a niffler from the Wizarding world haha.

And one last close up of the center for a little more detail.

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017 05:08:54 PM »

STUNNING!  Absolutely beautiful my friend.  (And just FYI, I'm ordering a custom made table, just to coordinate with the mosaic you made for me!  Yeah, that's right, I'm designing the room around it.)  ROCKS.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepBlue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017 05:11:19 PM »

STUNNING!  Absolutely beautiful my friend.  (And just FYI, I'm ordering a custom made table, just to coordinate with the mosaic you made for me!  Yeah, that's right, I'm designing the room around it.)  ROCKS.

Thank you! Not sure if you noticed but I can't seem to get away from the turquoise/purple/iridescent color scheme that started with your piece!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017 06:38:04 PM »

So totally incredibly gorgeous, I love it! I have pennies from my dad and a lot of random old keys of his too, I would love to make a little memento like this. Super inspiring, beautiful work Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
curiousfae

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017 06:42:35 PM »

wow! i love that you've used coins and keys and such. this piece is so inspiring sheepblue! this makes me wonder what kind of creation might come from my junk drawer... so many little trinkets in there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

Peace and long life

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017 06:51:26 PM »

The black grout is glorious!

I love the symmetry of similar items, but upon closer look, they are all different. There's a lot there.

High Five for the progress photos!  *smackaroonie*  Can you explain/talk about how you were able to pour the resin on top without it rolling off the sides?  I've seen a couple different blog posts - using an edge to temporarily dam the flow - but I can never figure out how the tiny cracks are handled.

I have a side table and picked up some mini tile pieces and I've been contemplating a landscape of some kind.  But now that I see your assembly I think the tile might not be the jam.

\m/
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017 06:52:05 PM by JoyfulClover » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheepBlue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017 07:05:18 PM »

Thanks for the lovely comments!

JC - I actually don't stop the resin from overflowing; it drips right down the sides. I have a large canvas in frame that I got from the thrift store that I cover with a trash bag and use to catch the run-off (mosaic placed in the middle - the raised frame keeps the resin from escaping elsewhere). It does leave little drip bumps on the edge but from what I understand you can sand that off. I don't particularly mind the bumps so I am planning to leave it as is. Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017 05:17:09 AM »

GORGEOUS!  Love the sheen the resin gives.  Yes you can sand/shave the resin down if you don't want the bumps, and paint back some fresh resin if you want to remove the frosty sanded look and bring back the shine and translucence.

I love the keys in the blue glass.  How big is the piece?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepBlue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017 07:45:48 AM »

I love the keys in the blue glass.  How big is the piece?

Thank you  Kiss It's 16 x 21 inches. So not a tiny thing  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

GryffinMaus

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017 07:46:17 AM »

Awesome work. The black grout makes everything pop nicely and I love the little intriguing details. I spy at least a bicycle...I'm sure there's more interesting do-dads if I could inspect it up close!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Autumn Wreath
September 11, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: 30 Minute Skirt

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...