A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 314,293
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Medusa  (Read 1104 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

fatewineroses
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 25, 2017 03:31:58 PM »

For the OTT Stuffies swap rnd 10 I made Medusa for my partner, GrimInspirations. Below Grim Inspirations gave me permission to use her pictures, as mine were inadequate.

When I saw my partner's list, there were a couple of items that sparked my imagination; but none of them as much as Medusa. So I inundated myself with pictures of the many, many variations of Medusa. I also reread the myth...and some of the variations. I don't ever remember reading the origins of Medusa. That's where the dress comes from. Medusa was praying at Athena's temple one day when Poseidon saw her and desired her. So what does the guy do? He rapes her. Athena felt that is was Medusa's fault, and so she punished her by making her hideous. (Story told by Ovid)

I had a vision in my head about what she would look like and I'm happy she turned out very close to that vision. I used a pattern from Gingermelon and messaged my regular wool felt dealer to send me appropriate colors (I send her a message detailing the project, she sends me the right colors.).

Each snake was hand cut and embroidered, has a pipe cleaner inside so they can be posed and bead eyes. I love that each head is just a little different (I didn't use a template, just eyeballed the shape based on a google search for the shape of poisonous snakes.) so that they seem like little individuals vice one entity.

Underneath I made some dreads with some green wool and sparkly fibers I had. The dreads were then needlefelted on and each snake was stitched to the head from the hair (snake?) line to just about half way down the back of the head. Originally I was going to use safety eyes; but the vendor sent me the wrong back, then I lost the tiny package... Thank you Murphy.   Roll Eyes In the end I made felt/embroidered eyes. Her mouth was felt and embroidered with a bit of a smirk.

I debated on how I wanted the front to look. I definitely wanted to do a widow's peak; but I didn't want to encroach too far down.  I like that she can seem perfectly  "normal."  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
WonderlandsFinest
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017 04:03:17 PM »

This is too cute! I love the little snakes with their beady bead eyes and I think Medusa's eyes came out great! I think the origin myth of Medusa is pretty sad, then she turns around and gets her head cut off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017 06:21:52 PM »

Cutest Medusa ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017 06:10:51 AM »

Her slithering locks are awesome! She is a cutie for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

But we're the Misfits! Our songs are better!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017 07:37:29 AM »

Wonderful job!  She looks adorable and you did an awesome job on Medusa's trademark serpentine locks (I especially like them "down" in the final photo, as that's a casual look for her that one seldom ever sees).

I love her dress slogan; after what happened to Medusa, it's certainly appropriate.  Medusa's myth is indeed pretty terrible.  A god rapes you in a goddess' temple and She takes His side and punishes you instead (it's just a legend, but likely reflected Greek attitudes towards real women at the time as well).  Poseidon was Athena's uncle, but that sure doesn't make it okay.  Alas, the Greek deities had a tendency to be less than just in their decisions in general . . .

"Naked" pipe cleaners make very nice Medusa serpent locks too.  I stumbled across this guy's work (Gil Merritt, "The Gil Monster") on DeviantArt recently and was very impressed with his pipe cleaner Medusae as well:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017 09:11:22 AM »

Look up the legend and history. Medusa was a beautiful woman who was raped and abused. Instead of her snake hair being a punishment, she was given the ability to turn men to stone to protect herself. Men (most writers who perpetuated her story were men) turned her into an evil monster, vilifying strong and not-so-beautiful women. I don't blame her for being angry! See her as a strong vengeful women! One children's version of Medusa I read painted her as a very vain woman who deserved what she got. What a way to teach children.

So I love both the strong and beautiful Medusas.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/english/English295/albright/monster.htm says:

"In the original story, the Medusa was a beautiful woman who held a very positive role. Tragedy fell upon her when she was confronted with endless hardships brought upon by male actions. Medusa was a beautiful woman who was raped, killed and beheaded by various gods. However even in the face of tragedy and disgrace, the Medusa was portrayed as meaningful. Following the moment her head was removed, a Pegasus flew out of her body, representing the birth of beauty.

Just as the Medusa was powerless to fight against the repressive actions forced upon her, so too was she powerless against the continual metamorphosing of the myth which resulted in the more popular Medusa myth commonly known today. In this popular version the Medusa is a monster with hair of a thousand snakes. She is under a curse which causes everything she looks at to turn to stone. Cixous explains that this monstrous image of the Medusa exists only because it has been directly determined by the male gaze. Once Cixous establishes that the myth of the Medusa is nothing more than a facade, she begins to question if the Medusa does in fact have the ability to turn things into stone or if her fearful imagery comes merely from our perception of her, a perception that has manifested itself from male warnings."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017 11:00:48 AM »

Ok, that stuffy is too much. Just wow. I lurve their faces.
Pretty awesome pipecleaner version too, everything about it is so cool.

I also very much appreciate the mythology refresher, like so many of those stories they have lost meaning over time, been rewritten to adhere to the style of the times, the current political culture, etc. The true originals are often very different from what's floating around today. Hmm, reminds me of modern holy books...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017 07:40:16 PM »

Oh, fatewineroses.

This little Medusa is one of the sweetest little cuties ever. After reading the posts, and learning more about her twisted mythology, I really appreciate your plushy topic.

But your execution is truly superb. And I agree with pottermouth about her slithering locks, as well as Patraws commentary on her casual look. I feel as if that's her serious editorial look, and she is FIERCE.

Dead.Nice.

\m/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017 07:41:01 PM by JoyfulClover » THIS ROCKS   Logged
calixita

thought I heard a saxophone; I'm drunk on the moon

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017 11:03:23 PM »

She is beautiful!  So creative and well done.  I absolutely love her dress (Smash the Patriarchy!!!) and her snakey locks!!!!  I love her embroidered eyes as well.
Just amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017 10:17:04 AM »

Congratulations! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: No Boil Mac and Cheese
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...